How do you do your water changes? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you do your water changes?

More for the big tanks but I’m interested to see how other people do them.
For my 15gs and 10gs I’ve always syphoned into a builders rubble bucket I think around 40l. Then filled up with a 1.5/2g watering can with the sprinkler bit on since it does not create a powerful flow disturbing all the substrate.

Now I have a 55g (that I filled with that watering can and took ages! ) I’m starting to look at other ways to fill it up. Unfortunately I can’t use a python as I have silly shaped taps but was thinking of getting some tubing and maybe hook it into an old water pump in a bucket in the sink?

How do you all do it?

I’m thinking mainly on my 55g so save several trips through the house with a watering can...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use a python.

I also have silly shaped taps, but I can unscrew the aerator on the tap and temporarily install an adapter that will work with the python. When done, I can screw the aerator back on the tap. Easy.
Doogy262 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:18 PM

I attached my gravel vac to a old water hose drain to a bucket either outside or to a drain in the house. The bucket gives me a place to clean filters and caches anything that I may not want going down the drain. To refill I attach a hose to the faucet using a hose adapter match my temp and fill it up.
I have seen hose attachment that swivel up to 90 degrees if it's a problem with the debth of the sink

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:35 AM
Algae Grower

I know it's $+ but I use 2 32g buckets with casters from lowes . I age all my water for my weekly water change and store old water for my stupid large amount of house plants and orchids. It's real easy because my house house is on a slab and I just roll them around
ipkiss and ReeferRob like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:27 PM
Algae Grower

Since our tank was a former reef tank, it has a return manifold and a sump under the tank. I put a hose barb on one of the outlets and a hose to run into a bucket. I can fill a 5g bucket in about a minute.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."

Jacques Cousteau
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:13 AM
Planted Member

I’m currently right in the middle of upgrading my WC system for my 55. But in the end I’ll still remove water with 5g buckets. But from my drinking RO I’ve split and ran a line to a 29 ($1pG) tank in my basement where it will age and be heated and treated. From there a pump connected to a wireless controlled outlet will shoot it into the wall and out of a pass through in the drywall, and into the tank hopefully. I’ll syphon water from here and haul it up to my CPD tank though. Too small to hassle with that. I’m very excited to not sit next to my sink RO faucet and wait for water to boil.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got a 140g with a 50g sump. I've rigged an old Danner 12B with some PVC to a garden hose male to attach to a Python then to the hall bath tub. My wife call it the contraption. I transfer the Python to to the sink pump for refill. I have ~155g water column and at 50% thats 77.5g. Whole process takes me around 1.5 hours.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I produce RO water in my basement in a 45 gallon rubbermade trash can and remineralize. For water changes I siphon into 5 gallon home depot buckets and dump water in my tub. I then pump water from the reservoir upstairs using a water pump on a remote contol. easy peasy.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku Sakana View Post
I know it's $+ but I use 2 32g buckets with casters from lowes . I age all my water for my weekly water change and store old water for my stupid large amount of house plants and orchids. It's real easy because my house house is on a slab and I just roll them around
I also do this... but in a decidedly more low tech way. I saw the $$ and built a dolly inspired by those harbor freight flat $10 (cough 9 or 8 or even less with coupon) dollar ones

https://www.harborfreight.com/materi...lly-63097.html

Actually, I stole the wheels and built one like that with many more wood pieces .. bigger, wider, stronger, to fit a big 35 gallon food/water barrel, fill from silly (cough, fancy) kitchen faucet head, prep, and roll it around just like @Aku Sakana, and finally pump out with a rio sump pump to an inverted T into my tanks.

Eh, I guess after all that work, I could've gotten the 32 gallon brutes with its own dolly, but at the time, I already had water barrels so didn't have to pony up that cost.

Even then, it's getting a little tiresome to roll around so I'm considering finding a way to plumb a T under the faucet to attach a long python (or something similar) hose.

We'll see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower

tubes and siphons

I use about 30 feet of 5/8 tubing. I shut off the filters, heaters, and CO2. I siphon the old water to the outside as I clean with the gravel tube. I then hook the tubing up to my inside water, adjust the temperature, and refill the tanks.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 PM
Algae Grower

OP,

Don't give up on those "silly shaped taps" Take a look at all of the heated water outlets in your house. I installed a T fitting between my shower head and stub from the wall that allowed me to hook up a hose thread. My kitchen sink, with a pull out sprayer, can be disassembled and adapted to the hose thread (like post #2 above). Python sells a flexible boot that fits over odd fixtures and tightens around them. I have used the water outlets for my clothes washer. You can tap into the lines under your bathroom sink. (trickier connections for those two). It is critical to get the temperature right, and if you need to treat your water before introducing it into the tanks, you will need to figure that out.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is there a tap close to your tanks you can replace, so that you can hook a hose to it? I use the bathroom sink near my office where the tanks are, and ace an adapter on the faucet for water chances so a hose will hook directly to it.

If you can/ are willing to make the change it may be worth it.

Also, I drain out the window in my office into my gardens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I must be old-fashioned. I still use five gallon buckets. Gravel vac/siphon with the regular plastic hose into a five gallon bucket (or two or three, for my larger tank), fill clean buckets at the sink w/the dechlor, then I use a one-gallon plastic pitcher I bought, scoop or pour clean water into it and add back into the tank one gallon at a time, pouring over my hand or the cup so it doesn't disrupt too much. Later at my leisure I empty the buckets of dirty tank water into my 2 gal watering can to use on the garden and houseplants, or just pour it to feed shrubs. I've seen a friend demo the python and it sure looked easy, but I don't like to see all that nutrient-rich water run down the drain.

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I use an Eco 396 submersible pump with a python hose. It runs into the kitchen sink or out to the yard. I have to pre-filter water for water changes to remove nitrates so I use the same pump to refill the tank from 5g buckets. I used to preheat by pouring the 5g buckets into a doubled 18g sterilight bin(s). But lately I pump room temperature water directly from buckets.
I also have an adapter for the kitchen sink as needed - I simply remove the aerator and screw on the adapter. There's a host of quick disconnects that makes it all work easy.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 AM
Planted Member

I have a 55 gallon just like you and this is how I do it. I prep my RODI water outside in the garden, unit hooked up to a garden hose, portable, and I fill a 32 gallon trash can.

Now I go to my tank, clean it, use a 30 foot eheim 16/22 tube and do the good old suck and syphon water trick. Water goes out the window into the garden. When I'm done cleaning, I wheel the trash can full of remineralized RODI water close to my tank, still outside the house. Put an eheim 1280(? not sure which one but pretty strong) pump into the trash can, connected to a 25 foot tubing, run the tubing to the tank through a window, run the extension cord next to my tank and plug it in. The tank fills up within 2-4 minutes.

This sounds like a lot of work but I can change the water in 15-20 minutes if I don't clean the tank and prune the plants. If you don't use rodi water, just get a big bucket/trash can and fill it with regular tap water through a hose outside...or smaller bucket with a smaller pump indoors. I also added a little ball valve to both tubings to regulate water flow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode