Time to Move On? - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Time to Move On?

I am so sick and tired of this hobby. My blood pressure rises whenever I hear the pump cavitating, again, every week, because I forgot to fill the auto-fill reservoir and the water lever evaporated too low, again. I want to flush the fish, break down the tank, patch the wall where it went, and move on with my life.

The saltwater tank is not far behind.

Anyone else ever feel this way?
DigityDog70 likes this.

Current Tank: 125g reef ready with 40 gallon sump. ATI 4x80 watt T5 with 2x Super Flora T5 Giesemann, 1x ATI Purple Plus, 1x ATI AquaBlue Special. GLA CO2 system, Flourite substrate, Digital Aquatics Controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have in periods of my life felt this way when had too many tanks running at the same time, but that is when you need to scale back.
I have had 1-4 tanks running continuously for 3 decades; but, when life gets busy I adjust the number of tanks and the demands needed by me for maintenance to a minimum.

I can see why you may be overwhelmed--- you have high demands for your tanks: A reef tank and high tank planted. Maybe its time for a scale-back to low-tech?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I recently switched from a 210 gallon reef tank to 10 and 20 gallon low-tech planted tanks and couldn't be happier! The maintenance is much easier for me. Cheaper, too.
KJE and Pocho like this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Please please don't flush fish. Its environmentally unhealthy-can introduce nastiest to the water supply, and not fair to the fish. If you can catch them to flush, throw them in a bucket and go to a local pet store. Or toss up a cregslist add, or a RAOK thread here even, someone will take them for you.
I do understand the stress-I never want another HOB or canister filter tank again!! (sponge filter only now) and I use to have probably 20 tanks going at once (stopped counting at 15), got down to 8 tanks as fish passed on-4 of which were virtually no maintenance .
But now the MTS itch is back and I'm setting up a 75g riparium *eye twitch*

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh well, if you don't enjoy it, don't do it! Life is full of choices. I have a good friend that loves golf. I think a golf course is purdy, but a waste of good crop land! Others bowl, drink, or chase women....I raise fish! Each to his/her own.
ReeferRob likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 01-25-2019 at 08:29 PM. Reason: update
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Planted Member

I've had to scale it back a few times due to getting burned out. Every tank in my head is sparkling and needs no maintenance because I've made it so perfect, right? right?. For me with my current resources and facilities available, no matter the size - 1 tank is a hobby, 2 tanks is a chore, 3 tanks is a job.
Pocho likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find I have to figure out a couple things before deciding. One is to decide what I like about a hobby. Sounds like you are not one to enjoy the challenge of fixing things so a high tech with lots of gizmos may not be right for you. From there I have to slowly get to know myself to decide what standards I want to meet. I'm now totally happy with a tank that impresses the neighbors but it certainly doesn't have to be near perfect. If the visitors don't like my little algae farms, they don't have to come back !
That leaves me to do pretty much what I want----or not.
I like to ride a bike , but not if it had to be a race and I do my tanks much the same way. I may train hard for a time or just drift along.
DigityDog70 and ReeferRob like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

I have had plant tanks off and on over the years. I got into a pattern where during the spring and summer I would take a break, because it can be a fatiguing hobby. It got to the point where a my local pet shop would take my fish and plants(they liked the plants). They would give me a credit coupon which I would use to buy plants and fish again.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Maybe it’s time to break them down and do you for awhile.

I fell out of the hobby and this forum about 9ish years ago when life just grew too busy and we knew selling our home was in the distant future.
When that time came I gave away all the tanks and stands to friends and family and packed up the other stuff to drag across country. Settled into our new home in Missouri now and I got the itch again, so I’m slowly gathering items for an 18” cube that I plan to start low tech and keep it hopefully easy for awhile. I’m sure that may change as I have a metric crap ton of stuff in moving boxes stored in the garage from high tech days (maybe not as high tech by today’s standards lol) Now I need to keep reading about all the fancy LED options of today.

You can always pull stakes and take a break, just keep your gear because you’ll most likely be back elbow deep in water in the future. I have for close to 45yrs
ReeferRob likes this.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:36 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

We all get overwhelmed or burned out sometimes. Theres nothing wrong with taking a break or scaling down. I took several breaks in my tank hobby. I remember my tank looking like the one in Finding Nemo, just covered with algae. I didnt maintain it for almost a year only thing i did was feed the fish. Then slowly got back. Started with easy plants, mostly anubias. Take a break enjoy your free time doing other hobbies.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:54 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
I recently switched from a 210 gallon reef tank to 10 and 20 gallon low-tech planted tanks and couldn't be happier! The maintenance is much easier for me. Cheaper, too.

lol
maybe until that Bug hits you again.
Mark Fisher likes this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not actually going to flush the fish but I do have septic anyway. Just so not into these tanks anymore. I was big time when I set them up as I loved the tech and the setup. But no just no interest at all anymore. Also someone was supposed to help me and they quickly got bored so I was left with 100% of the care. Well, accept for the few times they decided to over feed them and also cleaned the glass on the 125g once with the mag cleaner with a piece of gravel stuck between the glass and the cleaner so it has several permanent scratches. Sigh...

Anyway both of my tanks are in-wall so if I broke them down I would probably need to patch up the wall again. I had thought maybe just make some sort of shadow box out of them but that's more work.

Literally the only thing I do is fill the auto-fill reservoir and feed them once in awhile. I haven't done a single water change in over 2 years.

Thanks all!

Current Tank: 125g reef ready with 40 gallon sump. ATI 4x80 watt T5 with 2x Super Flora T5 Giesemann, 1x ATI Purple Plus, 1x ATI AquaBlue Special. GLA CO2 system, Flourite substrate, Digital Aquatics Controller.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sometime you reach a point where you need to admit that the hobby is no longer for you. At that time, it's best to sell or give away everything and let it go.

I'm getting older now, retired, and I can see that at some point, I'm just not going to be able to deal with lugging buckets of water, working on all the cleaning, and generally keeping up with everything. At that point, I'll get out of the hobby.

Considering that you haven't done a water change in a couple of years, and have lost interest in the hobby, giving it up, at least for awhile, may be a good choice.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If I still had to haul buckets I would definitely not have any more than 1 tank because my aquariums have always been 30 gallons or larger.
The Python was the greatest/worst invention in fish-keeping in the last 30 years.
Greatest because it saved your back and allowed you to change water/refill in a fraction of the time.
Worst (best?), because the saved time allowed the idea in that you could have more tanks for the same amount of time it took you to maintain the one using buckets.
Greatest product to date for encouraging MTS.
Little Soprano and KJE like this.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
This year I found out what my personal limit is for tanks, when I had a QT running plus a spare bin to separate some fish that were fighting- four I can handle okay, five or six it's too much for me to pay attention to each one and enjoy it. I'm back to four right now and look forward to just having three, for each of my favorite fishes. Keep it simple or change it up if it's feeling overwhelming or on the other hand, boring . . . .
Fisherking likes this.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode