Multi Tank Syndrome (MTS) Anonymous - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Multi Tank Syndrome (MTS) Anonymous

(this is not making fun of Alcoholics Anonymous)
Come share your MTS woes/stories.

Hi, my name is AquaAoruroa, and I have MTS.

I started with 1 10g tank I got used from a relative, and a bad fish purchase (leopard sailfin couple-was told it only gets to 6" but they really grow to 18"). I bought a 55g to move the pleco into as it grew and the MTS just... snowball from there, no more like turned into an avalanche!

Within a year of the 55g I have a 20g long, 7g cube, 12g long, 3g bubble bowl, and 2g cookie jar!

In the next 2-3 years I also acquired (while still running the original tanks) 2 more 10gs, 20g high, 5g, 2 2.5gs, 2g vase, 3g picotope, 40g breeder, 2 6g pond pots, 8g jumbo bubble bowl (broke and replaced), 2 75gs, and the last purchase was a 10g half moon (which i suspect is actually a smaller volume).. I
m sure I've forgotten some.

At its worse I stopped counting when there were over 15 aquariums running at once.

It got so bad I couldn't keep up with maintenance and I started dismantling tanks as fish died off. I got back down to 8 tanks-most of them smaller betta tanks that don't need much attention except feeding-plants took care of poop.

Side note: after owning so many tanks I'll only use sponge filters now. HOBs are a nightmare if not cleaned out often enough, and canisters (at least the ones I've had) are a real pain in the [censor] to get to prime and flowing again.

Secondary side note: pleco was re-homed to people with multiple 150+g tanks.

Now the MTS it hitting my hard again!

I've started to reset up my inactive 75g as a riparium (already have bought the hardware and painted the back of the tank). I'd started converting my 55g into a vivarium last fall and have plans to also convert my 20glong into a vivarium too.

Now I have the itch to drag my empty 40g breeder out and make it a partially filled emersed aquatic plant tank-lid to keep humidity up and have plants anchored just below water with most of the growth above water.

I started looking at hardscape for the 40 and could easily spend $200 on just that, probably another $100-200 on plants.

I can't stop myself aaaarghh!! Its going to get out control with too many tanks again, and I just can't stop myself!!!!!!!!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Started by resetting up an old 10 gallon
Then set up a 20 gallon long that was in my basement
Then set up another 10 gallon from the basement
Then set up a 5.5 gallon (new)
Then bought a 20 gallon long during a sale at petco

I'm building the new 20 gallon long slowly to try to avoid getting another tank. I can do the care on these 5 tanks in a short period of time but if I get any more it will start to become a chore and not fun.

I used to have 3 55 gallon tanks and a 600 gallon pond. I'm trying to avoid going overboard like that. (Overboard for me. For other's it might be fine)

The 55s were difficult to care for because I have short arms. It was always hard reaching down into them for any reason. It would put me armpit deep and still an inch short. Hence my decision on the 20 longs. I have considered a 40 long, not 40 breeder. But decided that I'm good for now and need to focus on what I have.

20 Gallon Long tank journey

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I also got hit by MTS again ! Had a 56 running for about 5 years or so just recently setup a 20 long for a pair of betta macrostoma’s,now i just bought 2 - 40 gallon breeders �� waiting to be setup and more materials.
Didn’t know why I needed more tanks for when i have about 5 in the basement ����

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

Me and my partner started off with a 20g 18 months ago with the usual starter fish, guppies, tetra etc (we went in with the intention of getting some goldfish) , as we discovered different fish we soon ended up with tank 2 and 3- 2 fluval flex’s 57l which I bought drunk one night on eBay for a bargain off a guy closing down all his aquariums. One beta tank and 1 shrimp tank.

Tank 4 and 5 My mrs soon followed up with the smaller flex as her guppies kept giving birth and she wanted to raise them in a separate tank, she then wanted another for her addiction with rarer guppies to breed.

During November and December I sold off about 250 red crystal shrimp which my initial 10 had bred into which paid for tank 6 which when cycled is my 55g sss red crystal shrimp tank.

I wanted to close down my old shrimp tank but since it’s all set up I may stick with it if I can find something else to put in🤔

We share all the water changes so at the moment it’s not to bad to take care of 3 tanks each, once we move house later this year I can certainly see a cichlid tank on the horizon...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:56 AM
Algae Grower

Haha I can't afford more than 2 setups
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 AM
Algae Grower

Also a sufferer here haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190126_180002_320.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	876415  

Name:	20190110_131740.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	876417  

Name:	20190118_181651-1280x569.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	876421  

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:11 AM
Algae Grower

LOL Marc you even have a nano tank under one of your tanks!

UNS 60U + Twinstar 600S + Oase Filtosmart Thermo 200 (Havenít started yet)
AquaMaxx Cuboid 9.1 + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba XB-303 High-Tech
ADA Mini M + Twinstar 300E + Shiruba PF-120 HOB Low-Tech
UNS 3N + Chihiros RGB+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB Low-Tech
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbyDick View Post
LOL Marc you even have a nano tank under one of your tanks!
haha. Yes, here it is...and there is space for one more next to it.

ScrubbyDick likes this.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
haha. Yes, here it is...and there is space for one more next to it.

I just realized I saw your video links on reddit.

Beautiful tanks and great videos! Can't wait to see you take out the filter on your Ecosystem tank. Now that would be amazing once the tank can maintain itself.

UNS 60U + Twinstar 600S + Oase Filtosmart Thermo 200 (Havenít started yet)
AquaMaxx Cuboid 9.1 + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba XB-303 High-Tech
ADA Mini M + Twinstar 300E + Shiruba PF-120 HOB Low-Tech
UNS 3N + Chihiros RGB+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB Low-Tech
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbyDick View Post
I just realized I saw your video links on reddit.

Beautiful tanks and great videos! Can't wait to see you take out the filter on your Ecosystem tank. Now that would be amazing once the tank can maintain itself.
Shouldn't be too long now.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You all talk about MTS as if it were a real problem. If you don't have the tanks you require to appease your needs then that is the problem.

I haven't been without a tank running in over 38 years. At one point I had 20 tanks in a one bedroom apartment. Now I have a dedicated fish house. OK OK. I confess. I did not build it as a fish house. It was my print shop for the first 2-3 years. Then it sat idle collecting junk. Then I cleaned it up and at one point had 45 tanks running. I am expanding, remodeling, and automating so I am down to 35 there now. Not counting the 2 in the kitchen and two in the family room of course. Building out the last 6' x 14' will give me room for another 42 tanks. At that point all the tanks I own should be set up. So somewhere just over 100 by the end of the year.
reddhawkk and ReeferRob like this.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
You all talk about MTS as if it were a real problem. If you don't have the tanks you require to appease your needs then that is the problem.

I haven't been without a tank running in over 38 years. At one point I had 20 tanks in a one bedroom apartment. Now I have a dedicated fish house. OK OK. I confess. I did not build it as a fish house. It was my print shop for the first 2-3 years. Then it sat idle collecting junk. Then I cleaned it up and at one point had 45 tanks running. I am expanding, remodeling, and automating so I am down to 35 there now. Not counting the 2 in the kitchen and two in the family room of course. Building out the last 6' x 14' will give me room for another 42 tanks. At that point all the tanks I own should be set up. So somewhere just over 100 by the end of the year.
If i was to say that you need help.....its only because im jealous of how awesome that sounds!!

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

After decades in the hobby I have gotten to the magic number of 3 tanks . 125g for schooling rummys ,75 for laetacara colony and a 22 long for what ever apisto I'm into. Really I have 6 but the other 3 are quarantine / aquaponic plant things that don't need much work.
ReeferRob likes this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

It's an addiction. Right now we have 7 marine/reef tanks and 1 planted tank at home. At one time in the mid 70s I had 60 2.5 betta tanks running plus my 55, 20l, 10 and 40 breeder tanks at my parents house.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."

Jacques Cousteau
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
If i was to say that you need help.....its only because im jealous of how awesome that sounds!!
I do need help. About $3000 for the expansion and mini split heat pump and additional tanks should do it. You want to contribute?

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode