Why are leaves curling - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why are leaves curling

The leaves of my anubias and crypts are curling at the tips. I have co2 with evident pearling, I dose nilo g thrive 3 times a week, I do 25% water changes weekly, I have a finnex 24/7 light. The tank is 29 gallons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Animalisterra,

Welcome to TPT!

There are a few different reasons leaves curl at the tips, a picture and some water parameters would help us diagnose the issue. Just provide whatever information you can.

pH -

dKH -

dGH -

nitrates (PPM of NO3) -

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ph- 7.2
Kh-180
Gh- 30
Nitrate- between 0 and .5

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalisterra View Post
Ph- 7.2
Kh-180
Gh- 30
Hi @Animalisterra,

Is the KH 180 ppm? (about 10 dKH)

Is the hardness 30 dGH?

If so that is some hard water!

Can you possibly post a picture?

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, we do have very hard water. The numbers I gave were in ppm. This is the curling leaves of the crypt. Everything else seems very healthy. The leaves just curl. My giant hygros leaves also come out a bit deformed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1548215584767.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	876147  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1548215612684.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	876149  

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ph- 7.2
Kh-180
Gh- 30
What tests was used to measure this. some test measure in parts per million while other use degrees (about 17.8ppm). Also are you adding any potassium bicarbonate or sodium bicarbonate to your water? Also what are your reedings from your tap water or whatever water source you are using with nothing added to it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Animalisterra,

You really need to get your nitrates up, I try to target my dosing to achieve a 20 ppm - 30 ppm nitrate level.

As for what is causing the curling leaf margins I suspect the issue to be magnesium (Mg) based upon the curling under and puckering of the leaf margins. You may have hard water however usually hard water is caused mostly by calcium sometimes with little to no magnesium.

Here is what I suggest:

1) Continue dosing your current nutrients as you have been; continue your water changes as you have been; continue the photoperiod and light intensity as you have been.

2) Go to your local drug store or sometimes even grocery store and pick up a box or bag or Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate / MgSO4*7H2O). Get the cheapest stuff on the shelf with no additives, perfumes, scents, etc.

3) Do an initial dose to your tank of 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Thereafter, when you do water changes, add 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons of new water added.

Now the hard part...............................wait. Over the next two weeks watch the new leaves as they emerge. Do not watch any existing leaves, they will not change and may actually continue to decline. Are the new leaves larger, greener, straighter, healthier looking? You may also notice the growth rate of your plants increase. If the leaves improve then you are on the right path. If they improve but some of the curling continues we may have to increase the dosing. Keep us posted as things progress! -Roy

Roy_________

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much! I will definitely do this! How can I increase my nitrates. Should I just dose my ferts more often? Also, the crinkled leaf edges are part of the plant, wentii bronze. The curling of the tip is what the issue was.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you so much! I will definitely do this! How can I increase my nitrates. Should I just dose my ferts more often? Also, the crinkled leaf edges are part of the plant, wentii bronze. The curling of the tip is what the issue was.
Hi @Animalisterra,

Yes, the 'rippled' edge of the C. wendtii is normal however the leaves should be 'flat'. If you look at the older leaves in your picture the leaves are 'bowed' (edges margins curled downward along the longitudinal axis) which would indicate a lack of magnesium. What are you dosing for your macro and micro nutrients?
RCB likes this.

Roy_________

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ph- 7.2
Kh-180
Gh- 30
Quote:
Yes, we do have very hard water. The numbers I gave were in ppm.
Your GH and KH readings don't make sense. 180ppm of KH is equivalent to 17.8 degrees GH (assuming all the KH is from calcium or magnesium). However 30 degrees GH is equal to 534ppm.

IS the GH in ppm or degrees? Also do you have a home water softener? If you GH is in ppm you have very soft water if so you need to add calcium as well as magnesium. If you have a home water softener it will remove calcium and magnesium from your tap water and replace it with sodium or potassium bicarbonate which Which keep your KH while lowering your GH.

So if you have a GH of 30ppm you should increase your water harness by 2 or 3 degrees to increase your calcium and magnesium levels. Seachem Equilibrium is a good product to do this. IF your GH is in degrees then it is likely you are magnesium deficient but calcium rich and adding Epsom salt should be added to the aquarium.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Quote:
Hi @Animalisterra,

Yes, the 'rippled' edge of the C. wendtii is normal however the leaves should be 'flat'. If you look at the older leaves in your picture the leaves are 'bowed' (edges margins curled downward along the longitudinal axis) which would indicate a lack of magnesium. What are you dosing for your macro and micro nutrients?
I am just dosing nilo g thrive. It’s an all purpose fertilizer. So using epsom salt will help fix this?
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Quote:
Ph- 7.2
Kh-180
Gh- 30
Quote:
Yes, we do have very hard water. The numbers I gave were in ppm.
Your GH and KH readings don't make sense. 180ppm of KH is equivalent to 17.8 degrees GH (assuming all the KH is from calcium or magnesium). However 30 degrees GH is equal to 534ppm.

IS the GH in ppm or degrees? Also do you have a home water softener? If you GH is in ppm you have very soft water if so you need to add calcium as well as magnesium. If you have a home water softener it will remove calcium and magnesium from your tap water and replace it with sodium or potassium bicarbonate which Which keep your KH while lowering your GH.

So if you have a GH of 30ppm you should increase your water harness by 2 or 3 degrees to increase your calcium and magnesium levels. Seachem Equilibrium is a good product to do this. IF your GH is in degrees then it is likely you are magnesium deficient but calcium rich and adding Epsom salt should be added to the aquarium.
The gh is 30ppm and we do have a water softener. I have looked at seachem equilibrium and have heard good things about it. Will doing epson salt dosing and seachem equilibrium be ok Or should I only use one
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I am just dosing nilo g thrive. Itís an all purpose fertilizer. So using epsom salt will help fix this?
Hi @Animalisterra,

Yes, assuming that magnesium is the nutrient that is lacking. Remember existing leaves will not improve, watch the new leaves as they emerge for improvement.

-Roy

Roy_________

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for all your help but I am hearing two different answers. One to use epson salt and another to use seachem equilibrium. Both the gh and kh I mentioned are in ppm and I do have a water softener.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
The gh is 30ppm and we do have a water softener. I have looked at seachem equilibrium and have heard good things about it. Will doing epson salt dosing and seachem equilibrium be ok Or should I only use one
Seachem Equilibrium has Epsom salt in it (Magnesium sulfate), It also has Calcium sulfate (Gypum) and Potasium sulfate. Equilibrium will supplly all the calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sulfur your plants need. So just use the Equilibrium with your Thrive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode