2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackheart
  • 1 Post By Blackheart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tear down/upgrade/downgrade

I see there has been a lot of tank recently on here about tearing down tanks. I have had my current 58 gallon (36x18x21) tank for two years now and honestly, I'm itching for something new. Anybody else get this? My previous tank before this was a 55 that I had for almost two years and for a very short time due to a defect in the tank, a 40 long. I really miss having a tank thats 4 feet long. 75 is not an option and I'd like something that has a nice 4 foot dimension, but not gigantic in proportions.

That's why I have been contemplating recently picking up a 33 long. Seems like quite the unique tank size. Large dimension, but not huge size. I can also get one special ordered for me from my LFS for 100 bucks. That's the same price as a standard 55 at the store when not on sale. Not too bad! The ones the LFS orders are Seapora brand. I'm sure planting/cleaning/maintenance in a tank like this must be a breeze!

I'm caught though as of what to do. There technically isn't anything wrong with my current setup. What would you do?

Personally, I think the reason I like changing every so often is because getting all the stuff... the new tank.. stand, etc, setting it up... is the funnest part of it all. I can go to the store and walk back and forth and look at empty tanks for hours and just envision things lol

Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of scape are you looking to create? The 33 long can be a cool tank for a large school of nano schooling fish, with maybe a strong carpet of something and an accent plant or two.

For me personally, the depth of the 33 (12" front to back) may be limiting, thought with it being substantially shorter than the 55 I currently have you can get some real strong light at the substrate too.

I might not be too helpful right now, ha!

Can you share any pictures of your current setup, and the thoughts on what you would want to do different in a new setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 AM
Algae Grower

Ya building a new setup is a lot of fun and keeps things interesting. If you are looking for a 4' tank Aqueon makes a 50 gallon long 48"X12"X19. Very similar to a standard 55 but about 3" shorter in height. I have one in my office I really enjoy. For some reason I prefer the 12" width over the 18" breeder style tanks and I like the height for stems, don't have to cut them as often as a breeder or shorter tank.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I dont really care if its 12 inch depth or 18. Doesnt bother me. The only 50 gallon tank that Aqueon makes is 36x18x19. Top fin makes a 50 long like that though. I want a shorter, smaller sized tank for ease of maintenance. If I dont go with a 33 nong, I might go a bit smaller to a 30 long which is 36x12x16. In my current tank, I have easy plants only. Java fern and anubias. I want my tank completely low tech with undemanding plants. If i had a shorter thank, I might add a few crypts or something like that. Something thats shorter to work in.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
What you really need is a 55 on a metal stand that can handle two tanks. Get a 40 or 45 long to put under the 55.

Yeah, that's the setup I have in the family room.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
What you really need is a 55 on a metal stand that can handle two tanks. Get a 40 or 45 long to put under the 55.
Yeah I can tell you I most definitely don't need that. I am allowed to have one tank. And honestly, that's fine. That's all we have room for here. Like I said, I don't want a tank that's tall like a 55. Tallest tank I'd like to do if I decide to opt for a change would be 16 inches. So a 40 long would work in that category. I definitely can't have a metal stand as it sits right on top of the stand instead of down in it. My 6 month old will probably be crawling around and getting into stuff soon so I definitely don't need that or the aquarium tipped over on his head.

There's something I really enjoy about the 33 long though. I think it's quite interesting to have such a small tank gallons-wise into a large dimension.
My wife however hates the very notion of me getting a new tank that's 4 feet long instead of 3 feet. Another reason to go with a smaller tank sized tank... gallons-wise... I can appeal to the fact that it's technically smaller

This 33 at my LFS awhile back does look pretty sweet though!

Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Yeah I can tell you I most definitely don't need that. I am allowed to have one tank. And honestly, that's fine. That's all we have room for here. Like I said, I don't want a tank that's tall like a 55. Tallest tank I'd like to do if I decide to opt for a change would be 16 inches. So a 40 long would work in that category. I definitely can't have a metal stand as it sits right on top of the stand instead of down in it. My 6 month old will probably be crawling around and getting into stuff soon so I definitely don't need that or the aquarium tipped over on his head.

There's something I really enjoy about the 33 long though. I think it's quite interesting to have such a small tank gallons-wise into a large dimension.
My wife however hates the very notion of me getting a new tank that's 4 feet long instead of 3 feet. Another reason to go with a smaller tank sized tank... gallons-wise... I can appeal to the fact that it's technically smaller

This 33 at my LFS awhile back does look pretty sweet though!

I love this tank. Perfect for a biotope ( -ish) with large school of a single tetra/corydoras species.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
That’s a cool looking tank imo and definitely different. Have you looked at the rimless Mr. Aquas? Would be a step down in tank size but the looks on the 22g and 12g are somewhat similar and proportional

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Yeah I can tell you I most definitely don't need that. I am allowed to have one tank. And honestly, that's fine. T
I was lucky with my son. He grew up with two 55's on metal stands in the house and never messed with them until he was just over 1. Then he put his Matchbox cars into the 45 long.

We taught him to look not touch. Seems to have worked.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I see there has been a lot of tank recently on here about tearing down tanks. I have had my current 58 gallon (36x18x21) tank for two years now and honestly, I'm itching for something new. Anybody else get this? My previous tank before this was a 55 that I had for almost two years and for a very short time due to a defect in the tank, a 40 long. I really miss having a tank thats 4 feet long. 75 is not an option and I'd like something that has a nice 4 foot dimension, but not gigantic in proportions.

That's why I have been contemplating recently picking up a 33 long. Seems like quite the unique tank size. Large dimension, but not huge size. I can also get one special ordered for me from my LFS for 100 bucks. That's the same price as a standard 55 at the store when not on sale. Not too bad! The ones the LFS orders are Seapora brand. I'm sure planting/cleaning/maintenance in a tank like this must be a breeze!

I'm caught though as of what to do. There technically isn't anything wrong with my current setup. What would you do?

Personally, I think the reason I like changing every so often is because getting all the stuff... the new tank.. stand, etc, setting it up... is the funnest part of it all. I can go to the store and walk back and forth and look at empty tanks for hours and just envision things lol
I hear you! I'm just getting into the aquarium hobby, but the planning and arranging is one of the parts that I like the best! I wouldn't worry about whether or not you "need" to change the current set-up -- so long as you're staying in your budget, and not just tossing your current fish in the trash, rearrange to your hearts content! a 30 or 40 long is my someday-dream. Due to budget and space constraints I'm pretty limited right now, but someday... Have fun!!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
I hear you! I'm just getting into the aquarium hobby, but the planning and arranging is one of the parts that I like the best! I wouldn't worry about whether or not you "need" to change the current set-up -- so long as you're staying in your budget, and not just tossing your current fish in the trash, rearrange to your hearts content! a 30 or 40 long is my someday-dream. Due to budget and space constraints I'm pretty limited right now, but someday... Have fun!!
I actually don't have any fish currently at the moment because I've been in limbo about this for awhile. I wish it were easy to get a decently priced and sturdy stand online and just ship it to my house, but it isn't. Like I said, I wouldn't mind a metal stand if I didn't have to worry about the tank toppling over possibly.

I'm still not sure what tank size I'm gonna go with. I'm thinking either 33 long or 40 breeder. those would probably be my two cheapest options. I looked into a Marineland 40 long and that was a bit much for my tastes. 140 dollars special ordered from my LFS whereas the 33 is only 100. And if I decided to go down to a 40 breeder, my only expense would be the tank itself since the tank I am using already has a 36x18 dimension. I still got that itch for something completely new and different though. I would have to spend at least 130 for a new stand, 100 for tank and probably at least 50 for lighting.... so almost 300 dollars. Where the 40 breeder would be like only 120 bucks or so and that's it.. prob 20-30 dollars for a glass canopy. still cheaper than almost 300 dollars.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 33 Long and it's my favorite tank.

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:23 AM
Planted Member

I have this same urge to re-do tanks completely or to want something totally different. So I rotate between 4 different builds: 75g Jikin tank, 6g low tech Edge for a Betta, 2.6g Spec lll high tech for the office, and a rimless 22g long under construction.

Like you, I wanted that long, low look, hence the AquaMaxx 22 which is 36" x 12" x 12". Love This tank.

This is part of the fun of the hobby. Figure out what you want to do next and go for it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode