How did you get started with the aquascaping hobby? How was it like? - The Planted Tank Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How did you get started with the aquascaping hobby? How was it like?

For me it came pretty naturally, I was a kid that was never that into dogs or cats, but I always loved fish. It amazed me the amount of fish that existed and so different. (still amazes me today). So I always had this little 12 liter(3.17G) aquarium with the fish I loved. When I was 12 years old I convinced my parents to have a 100 liter (26G) aquarium, so on the next summer vacation I built a tank with my grandpa. I was so happy, then the result was this: https://imgur.com/a/8pIlTDV I know pretty amateur, but I loved it, I had a couple of anubias and some egeria densa. 1 year later i decided to do a makeover. I found some drifwood and used the same anubias I had before, so i can save as much Money as possible. And today, 6 years later, this is how my tank looks, still with the same plants and set up: https://imgur.com/a/3UA8sQZ . I have big plans for the next aquascapes I want to do. For all of you that are starting with this hobby I’ve found this free ebook, hope it can help you Free aquascaping ebook

Free aquascaping ebook
DonnaK and AguaScape like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm a fish keeper. I've been in the hobby since the late 60's. Plants use nutrients (aka pollution) so for me, they are another way to aid in water purification. Having written that, nothing beats the look 'n feel of a well planted natural looking tank. Good for the fish and good for the display. Here and there I get a wow or two when folks stop by and that ain't so bad none neither.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I'm a fish keeper. I've been in the hobby since the late 60's.
Holey smokes I feel younger now....................I've only been keeping them from the late 70's!!
AbbeysDad and ReeferRob like this.

------------------

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

For me I have always kept fish as long as I can remember. Until about a year and a half ago I never had plants in any aquariums. I started watching some videos on YouTube, specifically by 'The Green Machine'. I was in awe over what he/ they were able to create underwater, and would dream of one day of doing the same. I kept watching, learning, and started reading the forum (a year or so before starting).

I told myself when I started that it would be something simple, little, and low tech. Then a week or two into my 29 gallon I added DIY CO2. Then after those struggles for 6 months, I finally dove into true high tech. From here it has been a well documents journey that can be found in my journal in my signature.

This side of the hobby has been an wonderful experience so far, and has taught me more about patience in one year that anything else in the past 20!
Greggz, Discusluv and ReeferRob like this.

|

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I've been in the hobby since the late 60's. Plants use nutrients (aka pollution) so for me, they are another way to aid in water purification.
@Greggz I still feel old, breeding convicts in the old man's tanks late 60's.

@AbbeysDad it ain't pollution when the plants thrive!!!
Greggz, AbbeysDad and ReeferRob like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
@Greggz I still feel old, breeding convicts in the old man's tanks late 60's.
That's because you ARE old! Me too!

Now, the very short version of my story.

Keeping fish since the late 70's, low tech planted from the early 2000's (but didn't know it!), then around 2014 stumbled across some high tech planted tanks.

Never knew they existed. I was fascinated. They were beautiful. Figured how hard could it be???

My journal tells the rest of the story.

------------------
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

I am really reluctant to call myself an aquascaper- that is for those who can balance it all out: plants, aesthetics, fish, CO2 and *most of all * understand all that complex water chemistry/fertilization "hieroglyphics". It is, as yet, a mystery to me.

I am a plant keeper who puts greenery in my fish-tanks and prays that it will all work out.
All kidding aside- plants have only been in my tanks for 1.5 years give or take, so I am a novice.
Just like fish-keeping- this is a learning process and its complexity makes the learning worthwhile.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used to keep fish when I was a teenager. Moved away from the hobby after I moved out and could not bring my fish with me. Gave everything to a friend.

Then, one day I was at a customer's house admiring his 180 gallon tank and he says "I am planning on getting rid of this tank so I can focus more on my saltwater tank. Would you like to buy it?" I asked him how much and he threw a number at me. $175 including fish, stand, FX4 and 404 filters, heaters, lights, the works. I took down his phone number and said I would think about it.

I had been thinking about getting a tank for my new home and looked into the prices to set up something like this. SOLD! I called him that evening.

The next weekend I brought a friend who has a flatbed truck with a tommy lift. We bagged all the fish and anubias, drained the tank, packed up all the bits and pieces and (10) 5 gallon buckets of tank water. Loaded everything into the flatbed and hauled it 40 miles to my house.

When setting up, I was thinking about how plants (Anubius in this case) could live underwater. I typed in a few searches on my computer including the words "Planted Tank" and the rest is history.

I am 100% hooked now. Every other hobby has been put on the back burner (and I do have quite a few others). Had I known how much this hobby cost, I may have not gotten into it. However, in hindsight, I believe the cost is justified by the rewards.

It is also something that I can share with my 4 year old daughter. She gets bored by nitro trucks and drones because she can't control them herself (I wreck them enough myself and handing over the controls is a guaranteed expense). She loves living things of any kind, and loves seeing the growth and change that happens from week to week. Plus, hand feeding the fish is a delight to her. Just like daddy.

Last edited by AguaScape; 01-22-2019 at 04:25 AM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

For me, it was a little less than a year ago when my daughter started asking for fish. So I began to do research as I always do, especially when it comes to taking care of pets, and stumbled upon Mass Aquarium's YouTube channel. From there, I stumbled onto George Farmer's channel and that's how I got into the fish hobby and especially aquascaping. Now I can't stop! I've set up countless tanks and wabikusa and on my way to enter into IAPLC 2019.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 AM

I started with fish late ī60s too. First aquarium was sort of nano: mumīs jam jar and some fry from the river. Then I eventually got my first right tank in the beginning on the ī70s. My biggest tank was/is 140 litres metalframe tank which I bought on 1977. I still have it, but itīs on "dry dock" atm because I have no room for it. During my aquarium years I never had particularly theme for tanks. Just tried to keep plants and fish alive.

Now I have a pond in my garden and 6 goldfish in it. My pond is relatively small (abt 3000 litres) and I have to take goldies inside during winter. First time I hibernate my biggest goldies and so far everything has gone really good. Two smallest, my own "production" goldies are inside in room temp and doing well too.

These nanoscape tanks began to get my attention and I decided to put up one of them. Hereīs pic of my nano. Itīs 19 litres Aquael. I put it up on Saturday, so itīs still maturing. Thereīs no inhabitants yet. Iīve planned to get some neocaridinas and snails in it. Maybe few endlers too. This time I determined to get the plant to grow so I have good light, CO2 -system and plant nourishments

Click image for larger version

Name:	aqua.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	876125
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Two and a half decades ago- I was a teen and helped some family friends move. I didn't know they bred angelfish, until I 'helped' the adult set the tanks back up- and I was fascinated by the large tank she had of angel fry. She saw how smitten I was and a few weeks later gave me a pair of quarter-size angelfish. I was so thrilled. One of those fish lived for seventeen years. There was a long hiatus no fishkeeping when I went off to college, had several moves, young kids- and then one day (five years ago now) I just wanted to get a tank again. I didn't know much about planted tanks before, but I've always loved plants and gardening, so I put anubias and vals in my first tank, struggled to keep them alive until I got help on this site and now it's great. Always a challenge, always engaging.
Thelongsnail and ReeferRob like this.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 01-27-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added some words
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I got a start in fishkeeping back before we knew about "good bacteria" if that tells you anything. Times were simple but pretty tough so my fish experience started with the weekly drill of dumping all the water and cleaning the tanks with the water as hot as possible to kill all the "things" that killed fish! There were no local fish "dealers" as such but individual shops who bought local fish with a limited number of shipped in fish. That made it work for us to raise guppies, sell to the local shop for 10-15 cents and think we were killing it. That worked so well that I almost paid for my first car with the profit. Secret to that story is that I bought the car for $25, put a head gasket in and finally sold it for $37.50 when the big uncle called. That left me with a break from the hobby in the late 60's and I hit it a couple times in the 70's until I got into raising African cichlids and finally decided plants would make them look better after a guy donated me a bucket full of what he called "river weed" that turned out to be a noxious plant which is locally forbidden to even possess. But it grew so well it turned me on to adding others that were more respectable.
AguaScape and ReeferRob like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
How did you get started with the aquascaping hobby? How was it like?
All of my joking and poor humor aside, time for reality.

I have failed to actually join the "Aquascaping" part of the hobby.
I've spent so much time growing so many species for basically the thrill of it.
When I started plant selection was very limited for me in the late 60's.
Breeding projects, marine tanks, and then the return to freshwater.

There is a huge variety of plants today and much time was required (at least by me) to try growing all I could.
Some I will never grow in my water and some have required slight modifications along the way.
A few I have sold off thinking good riddance and a year later re-acquired realizing it was a decent species after all.

The experience/journey could take a bit of time to finally build that "Aquascape" I'd like to have.

And of course I'm still set on getting a 6' long tank!

Growing is not that difficult.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:51 AM
Algae Grower

I watched george farmer on youtube
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:11 AM
Algae Grower

I started a year and a half ago...strangely i was watching Ants Canade on youtube and saw a video suggestion that was The Green Machine. after binge watching for about 5 hours, i was hooked and have been ever since.

Currently have 4 aquascaped tanks including the one in my sig.
swarley likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode