2Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Cinnamonamon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank cloudy and smells

Ok so I’ve finally filled up my new 4 ft tank this weekend and put the plants in, for the first day the tank was clear with lots of bubbles all Over the glass but 2 days later the bubbles have all finally gone and the water is now cloudy. And it also smells of that smell you get when you cook cabbage...

I used a water conditioner when I added the water and have just left it whilst it gets up to temp. I was hoping to use a bacteria starter and add some fish today but a little unsure now... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
No, it is not ready for fish!

You will need to get an API Freshwater Master test kit so can test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.

To save myself lots of typing, please read this guide on the nitrogen cycle, fish-less cycling and water testing.

The Nitrogen Cycle and the Fishless Cycle - getting your aquarium ready for fish - INJAF

If you would like to use a bacterial starter as well, you could use Dr. Tim's products. Here is a video to his method:
blackpearl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post

To save myself lots of typing, please read this guide on the nitrogen cycle, fish-less cycling and water testing.

The Nitrogen Cycle and the Fishless Cycle - getting your aquarium ready for fish - INJAF
Discusluv, I have been looking for good nitrogen cycle & fishless cycling explanations/websites for MONTHS. I think this is the best one I've ever seen! Thank you!

To the OP -- I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Tim's starter bacteria. I don't know that I'd spend money on anything else, as many of the others do not work. I would use the starter bacteria but then test to see if it is working, by adding ammonia and see if the bacteria consumes it! I found that none of the "regular" grocery stores in my town had plain ammonia - I finally found it at a dollar store, though. Dr. Tim also sells it... Good luck!
Discusluv likes this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode