• 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 1 Post By moogoo
  • 1 Post By ChrisX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pearling as a sign of deficiency?

I have been running with double doses of Equilibrium this past week. Lighting and CO2 have not changed, but there is ALOT more pearling than there was. From .5 tsp/gal to 1tsp/g

In a tank with adjustable light, can visible pearling be used as a gauge of deficiencies? For instance, you keep increasing light until you don't see any more pearling. Then try adding fertz to see if it increases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 PM
Algae Grower

I think pearling is a good thing
AbbeysDad likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi ChrisX,

The most likely scenario is either the potassium, magnesium, or calcium in the Equilibrium was a limiting factor for growth. I suspect it was the magnesium in the Equilibrium provided the 'pearling' since magnesium is critical for photosynthesis which results in the pearling.
AguaScape likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 01-23-2019 at 02:24 AM. Reason: ..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
pearling is always a good thing. as seattle aquarist said, pearling means there is increased photosynthesis, which means the plants are growing. the added doses are probably giving the plants what they need to do more growing. deficiencies would be more like holes in leaves, curled leaves, misformed leaves, plants not growing and/or dying, etc. think you're on the right track! but always be careful, what's loved by the plants may not always be loved by the fish/shrimp/etc in your tank. finding a good balance is key.
RCB likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
I have been running with double doses of Equilibrium this past week. Lighting and CO2 have not changed, but there is ALOT more pearling than there was. From .5 tsp/gal to 1tsp/g

In a tank with adjustable light, can visible pearling be used as a gauge of deficiencies? For instance, you keep increasing light until you don't see any more pearling. Then try adding fertz to see if it increases.

I think all you're really talking about here is finding balance between light/nutrients/CO2 which is optimal and causes your plants to thrive, which will cause them to pearl. More or less, you're basically asking "will my plants grow best when things are optimally balanced?" ... And the answer is absolutely yes.

Ultimately, if you increase the light in your tank, you'll have to increase fertilization and CO2 to keep your plants growing well, and to make them outcompete the algae... And at this point, yeah they'll be Pearling better than if one of those 3 things was out of balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi ChrisX,

The most likely scenario is either the potassium, magnesium, or calcium in the Equilibrium was a limiting factor for growth. I suspect it was the magnesium in the Equilibrium provided the 'pearling' since magnesium is critical for photosynthesis which results in the pearling.
I read your advice to the other novice about buying Epsom salt and I will give that a try. Equilibrium can be expensive on a large tank.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode