Petco Downsizing their Fish selection? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Petco Downsizing their Fish selection?

Hello.

Is Petco Downsizing their Fish selection?

I went into my Petco for the first time in maybe 1 to 1.5 years so I'm not exactly sure when this happen.

The entire fish section was gone and replaced with a downside microtanks. I would say that at least 50% of the space was now gone.

The store had kind of a lackluster selection before but now it was just a joke. The guy told me they just got a shipment in today and there was like nothing.

I am not just talking about having less thanks then before, the OLD tanks and setup are completely gone and these are completely new,smaller and less tanks. They use to have like a 100+ gallon ocsar tank on the end, a tank with small KOI fish, etc.. Now those are completely gone.

They just had some feeder goldfish, like 2 Cichilds tanks, 2 glowfish tanks and a couple random assorted few other tanks left.

Pretty much everyfish in my Aquarium was no longer offered there.

I think my walmart has more of a fish selection now.

I wonder if this is isolated to my local Petco or is this is a company wide decision?

Have you noticed this at your Petco in the past 1.5 years ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriallynchian View Post
Hello.
Probably related to this bit of news
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have two Petco's in my vicinity. One has a fair amount of fish and the other has the same plus a fair amount of salt water fish. The two have always been like that.

RAOK Club #55

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The petco near me still has plenty of fish. They have an entire wall of tanks, (a third of it saltwater) and 40g breeder that used to have large cichlids but now houses turtles, another large tank in middle floor space with koi or large goldfish, and two racks of bettas. It shows no signs of downsizing which I'm glad of. I think it must be your individual store?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriallynchian View Post
Hello.

I went into my Petco for the first time in maybe 1 to 1.5 years so I'm not exactly sure when this happen.

The entire fish section was gone and replaced with a downside microtanks. I would say that at least 50% of the space was now gone.

The store had kind of a lackluster selection before but now it was just a joke. The guy told me they just got a shipment in today and there was like nothing.

I am not just talking about having less thanks then before, the OLD tanks and setup are completely gone and these are completely new,smaller and less tanks. They use to have like a 100+ gallon ocsar tank on the end, a tank with small KOI fish, etc.. Now those are completely gone.

They just had some feeder goldfish, like 2 Cichilds tanks, 2 glowfish tanks and a couple random assorted few other tanks left.

Pretty much everyfish in my Aquarium was no longer offered there.

I think my walmart has more of a fish selection now.

I wonder if this is isolated to my local Petco or is this is a company wide decision?

Have you noticed this at your Petco in the past 1.5 years ?

Thanks.
Hi @Merriallynchian,

All the more reason for us to support our LFS.

The Mom and Pop LFS are more responsive to the needs of their customers and realize that to sell an aquarium somebody has to offer quality fish worth keeping. Big Box stores may (or may not) offer competitive prices on hardgoods however their fish have always been a joke when it comes to quality and health. A LFS may be a little more expense for hardgoods but if you want quality fish they have to say in business and deserve my support.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Merriallynchian,

All the more reason for us to support our LFS.

The Mom and Pop LFS are more responsive to the needs of their customers and realize that to sell an aquarium somebody has to offer quality fish worth keeping. Big Box stores may (or may not) offer competitive prices on hardgoods however their fish have always been a joke when it comes to quality and health. A LFS may be a little more expense for hardgoods but if you want quality fish they have to say in business and deserve my support.
All the LFS I use to shop at as a kid are now out of business. As far as I know, all the LFS that remain are 100% dedicated for salt water.

It seems that the big box/chain pet stores have put them all out of business.

I am glad to hear that your local Petco fish selections have remain unchanged. Hopefully its an isolated incident for my store but its the only Petco near my house!

This particular store must of had a problem with the fish tanks or something. There was not just less fish selection, but like half the shelves were literally missing and the remaining shelves had actual different/smaller aquariums.

They must have scrapped the entire setup. Like tore the entire thing down and rebuilt a new setup from the ground up but make it much smaller.

I hope I will get the store one of these days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode