75 gallon at 9 weeks - lots of questions! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By allenchughes
  • 1 Post By Grobbins48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 gallon at 9 weeks - lots of questions!

First planted tank – would love any thoughts advice – critique – etc…
I am 9 weeks in. ( a Picture from week one when I added the plants and current pictures.)

Tank – 30year old oceanic 75 gallon – no top

Lights:
- 1 Finnex stingray (48”)
- 1 Koval 156 Led (48”)

Substrate – up aqua sand covered with a fine black gravel

Filter - Polar Aurora 4-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt Uv Sterilizer
– Basket 1 floss filter
– Basket 2 fluval biomax
– Basket 3 and 4 bio home ultimate media
– I added a sponge filter on the intake

No Co2 system – considering adding one – used Easy Green All in One Fertilizer
From aquarium coop

Starter plants:
- Amazon sword
- Jungle val
- Anubias nana petite
- Anubias cogensis
- Cryptocoryne wendtii
- Cryptocoryne Beckettii
- Java Fern
- Lace java fern
- Java moss
- Micro Sword Bunch Lilaeopsis Novaezelandiae

Superglued anubias to a piece of driftwood I found at beach
Superglued java moss to driftwood found at beach
Superglued java fern to rocks

Fish:
6 zebra danios
4 cory cats
12 neon tetras
9 ruby barbs
8 otocinclus catfish

Invertebrates
10 ghost shrimp
10 cherry shrimp
3 amano shrimp
2 blue shrimp
4 nerite snails
2 yellow shrimp

I am using well water – I have done 3 30% water changes every 3rd week
Water parameters
- ammonia – 0
- nitrites – 0
- nitrates – 0
- gh -5
- kh – 6
- temp 76
- Ph 7.6

It took the tank about 3 weeks to cycle and after 6 the nitrates also dropped to 0.

Plants:
Swords have taken off and are taking over tank
Val all melted and has come back strong sending runners
Crypts look good and growing
Java fern look good – some close to the top may be burning? Too much light?
Anubias looks ok – wondering if too much light for them?

I added:

Anubias nana golden ( to help fill out my “tree”)
Marimo balls ( thought might help to compete with the algae)
Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus
Bucephalandra sp. Wavy Leaf Green Loose Easy
Anubias Barteri 'Butterfly'

Questions:
1. I am not sure if I am low, medium, or high light. I bought the Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus to see if I had enough light – it seems to be doing ok – Can I try some higher light plants?
2. I bought some almond leaves to add – but not sure I need to. I do not know if my water parameters are ok (ph 7.6 Gh 5 Kh 6). The water I add is at 7.0 but it rises to 7.6 not sure why.
3. My Micro Sword Bunch Lilaeopsis Novaezelandiae don't look great – trimmed them – Not enough light?
4. Would you add Co2?
5. Does my filtration seem ok? How often should I clean the sponge filter on the intake tube? The shrimp love it.
6. I feed my fish once or twice a day – they are fat and the zebras and barbs are laying eggs – is this too much? I never have any ammonia.
7. What are the algaes growing in my tank and on my plants? Is this ok?
8. will no top hurt my lights?
9. Sometimes I use spray bar return under the water - sometimes above the water to create bubbles /gas exchange - any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-12-08 15.54.18.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	875765  

Name:	2019-01-17 07.17.13.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	875767  

Name:	2019-01-17 07.17.41.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	875769  

Name:	2019-01-17 07.23.19.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	875771  

Name:	2019-01-17 07.17.36.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	875773  

Name:	2019-01-17 07.21.49.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	875775  

Name:	2019-01-17 07.18.32.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	875777  

LittleSquishy likes this.

I do it for beauty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenchughes View Post

Questions:
1. I am not sure if I am low, medium, or high light. I bought the Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus to see if I had enough light – it seems to be doing ok – Can I try some higher light plants?
2. I bought some almond leaves to add – but not sure I need to. I do not know if my water parameters are ok (ph 7.6 Gh 5 Kh 6). The water I add is at 7.0 but it rises to 7.6 not sure why.
3. My Micro Sword Bunch Lilaeopsis Novaezelandiae don't look great – trimmed them – Not enough light?
4. Would you add Co2?
5. Does my filtration seem ok? How often should I clean the sponge filter on the intake tube? The shrimp love it.
6. I feed my fish once or twice a day – they are fat and the zebras and barbs are laying eggs – is this too much? I never have any ammonia.
7. What are the algaes growing in my tank and on my plants? Is this ok?
8. will no top hurt my lights?
9. Sometimes I use spray bar return under the water - sometimes above the water to create bubbles /gas exchange - any thoughts?
Here are some of my thoughts- I am sure others will chime in as well:

1- Light might be on the medium side- but without true PAR readings hard to tell exactly.

2- I see nothing 'wrong' with your water parameters. What was your thought behind the almond leaves? I add them to my blackwater tank to add tannins and darken the water, but do not add them to my planted tank (I run purigen anyways, which would strip the tannins out). As far as pH rising, our of the tap our pH tends to be a bit lower, as it has somewhat higher CO2 concentrations. After leaving it out for 24+ hours you tend to get the waters natural pH level.

3- To me this looks like the old 'emersed' growth is dying back. Most, if not all of the plants in your tank were likely grown above water. This is quicker, cheaper, and easier for the farms. Then when we put these plants underwater they need to adjust to their new environment. In doing so, many plants will have old leaves die off and sprout new growth. Some plants do this more than others. I would guess that is what you are experiencing, and the decay of the old leaves has attracted an algae to grow here.

4- This is a personal question based on what you want to do. CO2 will help speed up growth, however it seems like you have mostly plants that will tolerate the lower CO2 and lower light environment. Completely up to you what direction you want to go- IMO no wrong answer here.

5- Not sure the specifics on that filter (flow rate) but it seems things are set up well. As to cleaning- the sponge on the intake can clog quickly and lower your filters flow. I would at a minimum wring it out once a week. As to cleaning the filter, some people are a couple times a month, others go a very long time. IME and IMO, cleaner aquariums are happy aquariums.

6- I am on the one per day schedule with my tanks, and usually skip at least one day a week. Can probably just feed once and they would be fine. IME fish need much less food than people tend to think. We eat 3 meals and some snacks every day, and at time people think that is what their fish need!

7- Algae is natural in tanks. I cannot tell you the specific types, and I am not sure it matters much. What matters is that you keep things clean. Using a toothbrush, algae pad, siphoning, etc. to remove any you are able to.

8- Shouldn't. Are you worried about condensation? Are you getting any? Many, many members here run no glass lids.

9- I run my spray bars under water but pointed at the surface. What we are trying to achieve is a nice steady ripples across the whole tank. This gentle ripple is what causes the O2 exchange and is healthy for the plants and fish. I see no need to run it above the water and hear the splashing.

With the tank being 30 years old just make sure you keep an eye on those seems. If they have have never been resealed that is some old silicone, and may be quite brittle.

I hope some of this was helpful, and as I said I am sure others will add some of their own experiences.

EDIT: I also will say nice work on the scape, and it does look like you have had some great growth over the past 9 weeks. If you are really getting into this hobby and want to learn/ share more I suggest starting a journal on this tank. I also recommend reading the journals of others who have created aquariums similar to yours. There is a whole section on just low tech tanks on this forum.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Very helpful ! Thanks!

Bump: Where do I go to start a "journal"?

I do it for beauty

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenchughes View Post
Very helpful ! Thanks!

Bump: Where do I go to start a "journal"?
Forums --> General Planted Tank Forums --> Tank Journals --> Post New Thread

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode