1Likes
  • 1 Post By hurts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Melting Plants or algae ?

Hi all ,

i've planed tank running for almost a month now check below details .

Size : 50x32x37 cm
Tank Volum : 15 Gallon
Filter : Canister Filter
Light : Bio-Lux (20W)
Carbon Dioxide Liquid: 10ml everyday
Co2 : i dont have
Fertilizer : 10ml every week
Water Change : 15% weekly
stocking : 2 Guppies
Plants Type : Carpet from seed & 3x Anubias
Running Lights : 3 Hours Strong , 3 Hours dim light .

I've noticed some leaves getting darker i dont know its algae or plants getting melt . please i need advice what is this and how to treat it since everyday its getting wider.

thanks
RCB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:00 PM
RCB
Algae Grower

Greetings....cant help you with the darker colored leaves BUT if there are some it just makes your scape natural looking. Tank looks great. What seeds did you use to carpet, even without the use of Co2 it still looks wonderful.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi RCB ,

thanks for your reply , if its normal i dont have problem of how its looking , im just afraid its something that just treat before its cover all the tank .

i dont know what the name of this seed , but they call it " Magic Seeds " many experts said its not actually aquatic plant and it will die after almost 6 months . but after all it will be nice to have green easy carpet for few months .

should i keep using Carbon Dioxide Liquid ? or its better to stop the dose ?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:27 PM
RCB
Algae Grower

Hi hurts...thanks for the reply. Even if the lawn only lasts for a period of 6 Months, its a great look. Nature wont last forever. Perhaps others have more experience with this plant and can steer you in the right direction.From what I understand, a liquid Carbon Dioxide is of little help and nowhere near what a real Co2 unit would produce. How old is the tank and how long did the seeds take until they carpeted ? Do you have a dosed substrate that helped the lawn go from seed to lawn.

I wish I could be of more help but I'm sort of a new-b to the hobby and still learning the ins and outs. With that said; I think your tank looks real natural and I hope it lasts and lasts that way for quite some time. Best of success to you !
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi ,

Thank Dear ,

I've mentioned before its only 1 month age . this seeds only take 5 days sprout , yes im using this substrate .

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

Those leaves look to be melting, to me. I'm not sure of the type of plant though, possibly someone else could identify it and give a better idea of how to remedy it?

Great looking tank, though!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Those "seeds" are not from China, are they? If so, they are a scam, it'll melt and you will end up replacing the entire thing. Do you really want to replant them every x months?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
Those "seeds" are not from China, are they? If so, they are a scam, it'll melt and you will end up replacing the entire thing. Do you really want to replant them every x months?
no for sure i will not do it again , this was only for test i didn't know its not aquatic plant .

i got 3 woods and some java moss on them , is there any chance to make them grow and be healthy without Co2 ?

i got also 3x Anubias i heard its an easy plant to grow without co2 .

i will wait those scam plant to melt after 3 or 4 months whatever , because i think its diffcult to scrape all these small plant right now .

my question ... what should i do in this period ( e.g. how to increase java moss grow in the tank to replace this carpet , try to get what type of plant ( carpet , background ) that easy to grow without co2 system .

i planning to buy 15 cardinal tetra and 15 sherry shrimp and 5 Amano shrimp next week
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:06 PM
Algae Grower

Java moss and anubias will both do fine with no CO2. I know mosses can be more sensitive to liquid carbon supplements than other plants, though.

Other good plants would be crypts, vals - both would be tall, but should grow well. For a carpeting plant that's pretty undemanding you could look into marselia hirstuta.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
Hi hurts...thanks for the reply. Even if the lawn only lasts for a period of 6 Months, its a great look. Nature wont last forever. Perhaps others have more experience with this plant and can steer you in the right direction.From what I understand, a liquid Carbon Dioxide is of little help and nowhere near what a real Co2 unit would produce. How old is the tank and how long did the seeds take until they carpeted ? Do you have a dosed substrate that helped the lawn go from seed to lawn.

I wish I could be of more help but I'm sort of a new-b to the hobby and still learning the ins and outs. With that said; I think your tank looks real natural and I hope it lasts and lasts that way for quite some time. Best of success to you !
Flourish Excel and glutaraldehyde liquid carbons are not CO2 substitutes. They're just glorified algaecides. Not even DIY CO2 is a substitute for pressurized CO2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurts View Post
hi RCB ,

thanks for your reply , if its normal i dont have problem of how its looking , im just afraid its something that just treat before its cover all the tank .

i dont know what the name of this seed , but they call it " Magic Seeds " many experts said its not actually aquatic plant and it will die after almost 6 months . but after all it will be nice to have green easy carpet for few months .

should i keep using Carbon Dioxide Liquid ? or its better to stop the dose ?
It's hard to answer your question about whether to continue dosing the liquid CO2 because we don't know what plant that is... Liquid CO2 as an algaecide will help control algae (but not to the extent to prevent a full bloom when your plants melt. Melting plants = disaster. A lot of newer aquariusts just leave their melting plants in their tank and ask for help when they get algae blooms. Algae is highly opportunistic and will 99% of the time only appear when your plants are not doing well. Dennis Wong has an excellent section on his webpage about this: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

IIRC, Tom Barr's take on algae involves a heavy emphasis on maintenance: prune of all weakened or dying leaves, leave only healthy plants, clean out all detritus, etc.

Also, I don't know what glutaraldehyde does to terrestial plants. It's could be toxic or it could be beneficial to them in an aquatic environment. :shrug:

quote=germanblueramlover;11153699]Those leaves look to be melting, to me. I'm not sure of the type of plant though, possibly someone else could identify it and give a better idea of how to remedy it?

Great looking tank, though![/quote]

Those look melting to me, but they also look like they have some algae growing on them. I would bet that the algae is growing opportunistically on the dying leaves, rather than the leaves dying because of the algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurts View Post
no for sure i will not do it again , this was only for test i didn't know its not aquatic plant .

i got 3 woods and some java moss on them , is there any chance to make them grow and be healthy without Co2 ?

i got also 3x Anubias i heard its an easy plant to grow without co2 .

i will wait those scam plant to melt after 3 or 4 months whatever , because i think its diffcult to scrape all these small plant right now .

my question ... what should i do in this period ( e.g. how to increase java moss grow in the tank to replace this carpet , try to get what type of plant ( carpet , background ) that easy to grow without co2 system .

i planning to buy 15 cardinal tetra and 15 sherry shrimp and 5 Amano shrimp next week
I can't predict the future, but leaving those plants to melt will probably collapse your tank and leave you with an algae meltdown. (Unless you are okay with doing massive daily water changes once your tank reaches a tipping point). I honestly would not wait until the very end for them to all die off. Once you see your water changing colors (when you pour it out into a while bowl or bucket), you need to start doing large water changes until the color disappears (which probably will not happen without taking out the plants) or until you remove all the dying plant matter.

My 2 cents.

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced281 View Post
Flourish Excel and glutaraldehyde liquid carbons are not CO2 substitutes. They're just glorified algaecides. Not even DIY CO2 is a substitute for pressurized CO2

It's hard to answer your question about whether to continue dosing the liquid CO2 because we don't know what plant that is... Liquid CO2 as an algaecide will help control algae (but not to the extent to prevent a full bloom when your plants melt. Melting plants = disaster. A lot of newer aquariusts just leave their melting plants in their tank and ask for help when they get algae blooms. Algae is highly opportunistic and will 99% of the time only appear when your plants are not doing well. Dennis Wong has an excellent section on his webpage about this: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

IIRC, Tom Barr's take on algae involves a heavy emphasis on maintenance: prune of all weakened or dying leaves, leave only healthy plants, clean out all detritus, etc.

Also, I don't know what glutaraldehyde does to terrestial plants. It's could be toxic or it could be beneficial to them in an aquatic environment. :shrug:

quote=germanblueramlover;11153699]Those leaves look to be melting, to me. I'm not sure of the type of plant though, possibly someone else could identify it and give a better idea of how to remedy it?

Great looking tank, though!
Those look melting to me, but they also look like they have some algae growing on them. I would bet that the algae is growing opportunistically on the dying leaves, rather than the leaves dying because of the algae.

I can't predict the future, but leaving those plants to melt will probably collapse your tank and leave you with an algae meltdown. (Unless you are okay with doing massive daily water changes once your tank reaches a tipping point). I honestly would not wait until the very end for them to all die off. Once you see your water changing colors (when you pour it out into a while bowl or bucket), you need to start doing large water changes until the color disappears (which probably will not happen without taking out the plants) or until you remove all the dying plant matter.

My 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

I've decided to remove this carpet , what is the easiest method ?

turn off the filter and keep the water and start pull out the plants punch by punch

or

remove all the water and clean up all the substrate ?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

For me, since your substrate looks like it's in pretty solid grains, I'd try pulling up the plants bit by bit with the water in the tank. Just be prepared if you start seeing a lot of dust or debris, that you may need to stop and remove the fish before you continue!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode