Planning out an emersed tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planning out an emersed tank

Hi guys,

I was excited to find what is basically the aquascape Iíve been envisioning for my next tank here: https://buceplant.com/blogs/news/adv...ersed-aquarium

More examples are here: https://buceplant.com/blogs/news/a-q...hrimpery-on-ig Some are much more vegetated than others. I really love the combination of emersed and submerged plants. It looks just like the edge of a wetland or stream bank.

Iím still kind of a beginner, so I wanted to run my thoughts by some of you more experienced scapers.

Do you think this style could be successfully done in a 9 gallon tank (instead of the 20 gallon in the picture)? Could you foresee any major difficulties with that? Iím wondering if it would be harder to get the same sense of scale with a smaller tank size, but maybe Iím overthinking it. I'm sure I'll need to modify the species used. I also don't plan on using CO2.

Since the tank would only be ~50% filled, would a 9 gal even leave enough space for livestock? I had considered chili rasboras, shrimp, or a couple sparkling gouramis. But my main focus be would the scape itself.

I'm also going to have to figure out how to build up the island. The article says he uses driftwood to to hold up the aquasoil which the plants and moss kind of cover up over time. I'm not quite seeing how that works in my head. I guess the pieces would have to be pretty broad to hold back the substrate?

Anyway, I'm still early in planning and trying to do things right from the start, so thanks for any input you might have!

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've always wanted something like this as well - they're beautiful tanks!

9 gallons seems a little small to me - you'd have 4.5 gallons of water, minus any hardscape, probably leaving you with around 3 gallons. Depending on lighting, you could fill it up to ~1" from the top and have a lot more water volume, giving you more space to play about with and probably a more stable tank.

I'm slowly working towards a tank with emergent growth and have had good results from anubias hastifolia and mondo grass, both of which are tied to spider wood with the roots/rhizome in the water and the leaves above it. I also have water lettuce and duckweed for cover, and am waiting on a dwarf tiger lotus to grow in.

I'm also using these lights, which are working well so far, although my plants are low-light and the tank is in a window. They're great for the price though and give you a lot more freedom to scape than the light in the picture. I have 2 on a 25g, 1 on a 9g would probably be fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Asta...rds=luminigrow

A lot of people seem to use shower caddies to grow emergent plants out of, although I haven't used them personally. Here's a link to the sort of thing that I mean: https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Bathr...dy+suction+cup

Any of the livestock sounds fine, although as chili rasboras are so tiny, you'd have to make sure that they can't get into anywhere they shouldn't. Male endlers are also nice and small, and have the additional bonus of being really quite easy to keep.

There's photos of my tank in my journal, should you want to have a look at how the lights work. Hope this helps!

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
I've always wanted something like this as well - they're beautiful tanks!

9 gallons seems a little small to me - you'd have 4.5 gallons of water, minus any hardscape, probably leaving you with around 3 gallons. Depending on lighting, you could fill it up to ~1" from the top and have a lot more water volume, giving you more space to play about with and probably a more stable tank.

I'm slowly working towards a tank with emergent growth and have had good results from anubias hastifolia and mondo grass, both of which are tied to spider wood with the roots/rhizome in the water and the leaves above it. I also have water lettuce and duckweed for cover, and am waiting on a dwarf tiger lotus to grow in.

I'm also using these lights, which are working well so far, although my plants are low-light and the tank is in a window. They're great for the price though and give you a lot more freedom to scape than the light in the picture. I have 2 on a 25g, 1 on a 9g would probably be fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Asta...rds=luminigrow

A lot of people seem to use shower caddies to grow emergent plants out of, although I haven't used them personally. Here's a link to the sort of thing that I mean: https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Bathr...dy+suction+cup

Any of the livestock sounds fine, although as chili rasboras are so tiny, you'd have to make sure that they can't get into anywhere they shouldn't. Male endlers are also nice and small, and have the additional bonus of being really quite easy to keep.

There's photos of my tank in my journal, should you want to have a look at how the lights work. Hope this helps!
Your tank is looking great! Thanks for the light recommendation! Thatís something else I haven't figured out. I was actually thinking a pendant light might be nicer than a bar for accommodating the emergent growth. How do you like the Asta? Do the 2 lights give good coverage for your tank?

As for tank size, I was worried about the things you brought up. I might start considering going with the 20 gallon. I donít live anywhere near a real LFS, so Iím having to picture everything in my mind which hasnít been easy.

If anyone knows any good tutorials on how to build up islands with drift wood or other hardscape, Iíd love to see them!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Planted Member

You’re looking at the same things I am for what seems like the same purpose. I’m looking to do a 20 long, or perhaps a 12 bookshelf, half filled with emergent island growth, and blackwater. I’m a few months away from starting, so I’ll be following your progress.

I was also thinking pendant lights versus bar, as it looks much better in this type of setup, to my eyes. The Asta 20 has the form factor I like, just need to see about the quality, lifetime, and effectiveness.

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@blackpearl thanks! It still has a lot of work to be done.

The two lights give plenty of coverage, but it's a shallow tank - 80cm long x 40 cm wide x 30cm high. In total I'd say there's about 20cm of water, so it's not difficult for light to get to the bottom.

If you have space for a 20 gallon, it's probably best to go with that. You'll have so much more choice of plants and hardscape without worrying about scale so much. That and you can get more interesting fish If you're only filling half way, you could get a nice pair of killifish, as long as they can't chuck themselves onto the island and die.

@Proteus01 So far they've been good, although the one nearest the filter has a bit of a strobing issue due to the water movement. They grow my low-light plants well, although I wouldn't want to use them on high-tech stems. Basically, they're good for the price and look great, but aren't as good as t5s or whatever. There was a thread about them here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...0-reviews.html

Journal

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Thelongsnail Thank you for all the valuable information! It looks like the Asta's have pretty good PAR, which is really encouraging. The tank I'm considering is 60 x 30 x 30 cm, so perhaps two Asta's would give me fairly high light conditions, considering the tank will only be half filled?

How are the built-in dimmers for you? Are they as bad as people say? I wonder if it'd be possible to install a separate dimmer.

Amazon says the overall temp is 6500K, but how would you characterize the light temp cool to warm?

Thanks for answering all my questions btw! I think you've just about steered me toward the 20 gallon

@Proteus01 Great to hear! Hopefully I'll get to you see your project too. I'm probably a few months away from this one as well tbh.

The Asta is looking pretty decent right now. I haven't found tons of pendant lights suitable for smaller tanks. I'm really tempted to make an investment in a Kessil A80 or A160WE.

I'm pretty new to planted tanks/aquascaping in general so if you dig up any useful info for a tank like this I'd love to see it. Good luck on yours
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@blackpearl That's the same depth as mine then, so I'd imagine it'll be very bright when half full! The dimmer isn't too bad for the price imo, but I don't really use it.

I'm afraid I know nothing about lighting specifics, but the light seems pretty close to white, possibly on the cooler side. That said, my only reddish plant is a dwarf tiger lotus, and the reds are showing up nicely in that. I'll try and get a photo later, but this one shows the tank as a whole and seems closest to reality.

Glad to hear!! I'm just living vicariously through you as there's a lot that I want to do but it all has to wait for now haha

Journal

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for the additional pic/info! I'll be sure to make a tank journal for this one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode