Ideas for an Unheated Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ideas for an Unheated Aquarium

What are the fish options, other than goldfish, for a tank with no heater, say a low of 60 F in the winter? I have empty aquariums from 10 to 75 gallons, and was thinking about a heaterless tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Standard Paradise fish or White Cloud Mountain Minnows would be okay in that temperature.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ditto for paradise fish. My 33 Long "window tank" is unheated for two paradise fish. It gets down to 60 degrees in winter and they seem to do just fine.

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the responses! My mom is quite excited about the paradise fish. I told her they were one of the first "tropical" fish imported and kept in Europe, and she was interested in that. I will have to read upost in them.
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
There is a very interesting, old book about paradise-fish keeping (and a few other species) in the 1900's- Aquaria Fish: Management and Care of the Aquarium and Its Inhabitants by Frank L. Tappan. You can read the entire thing as an online doc. I wrote about it here: Dogear Diary: Aquaria Fish. Mostly I think it has value for the history, I wouldn't keep fish as the book describes, today!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 07-27-2019 at 03:31 AM. Reason: deleted duplicate text
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the responses. We had goldfish in 46 gallon bowftont aquarium over the winter (they went outside in May), and the aquarium has been running as a fish free planted snail tank for the past few months. I am revising my stocking ideas for a temperate tank, and thinking of trying rosy barbs and zebra danios or white clouds, maybe add a paradise fish this fall. I still need to come up with temperate fish ideas for the bottom of aquarium. The plants survived the goldfish, so I think that rosy barbs would be ok.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could try Native American fish, such as bluespotted sunfish. I donít know if 60F is cold enough for them to breed, however.

Many Asian fish are fine with temps down to the low 60s. I learned this fact this spring when thinking about transferring some aquarium fish to my pond. For example, Badis ruber are good down to 60 or so. Badis ruber ? Burmese Badis (Badis badis ruber, Badis badis burmanicus) ? Seriously Fish.
sittinglynx likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yep definitely look into native fish to your area. Darters, shiners and small sunfish.

No telling what you might find in your local waters to collect... already acclimated to your climate.

Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cherry shrimp should also be fine, they might not breed, but they'll survive. I've even heard stories of them surviving in ponds that have frozen over.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:54 AM
Planted Member

Yeah, I've kept Cherry shrimp in an outdoor pond in Southern California. They do ok down to 50 degrees or so, but are not happy lower than that..
But, a low of 60 degrees sounds fine for them.

Florida Flag Fish are an interesting choice for the bottom region.
They remind me of little Cichlids in their appearence and behavior. One could keep several in a 75 gallon, or maybe just one to help with algae control.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the interesting ideas. I has not thought about keeping native fish.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Many fish can actually be kept at lower temps, Ill get stoned for this by one particular member..... but generally: Livebearers are a-ok. They live in very cold waters for a portion of the year with large shifts in temps.

They are also hardy and easy purchases. I would push for local fish, and add in some specific guppies for a color splash (you can get different colors and shapes- for example I would think that a combination of local fish combined with a blue cobra round tail guppy would look original but sexy).

So add what you have pictured above with something like this:
In fact.... I have some fry you can take for free if you pay for shipping... PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 10.15.05 AM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	884897  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 10.14.49 AM.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	884899  

Cinnamonamon likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:23 PM
Planted Member

I routinely kept Endlers Livebearers at room temp, down to 60 degrees or so.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Yep definitely look into native fish to your area. Darters, shiners and small sunfish.

No telling what you might find in your local waters to collect... already acclimated to your climate.

These are gorgeous. What are they?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Rainbow darters, I just typed in darter Indiana and they popped up in image search.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode