Add ammonia to Controsoil? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Add ammonia to Controsoil?

Hi,

Im starting my first planted tank with Controsoil. My question has to do with the Nitrogen cycle. Controsoil says it has low ammonia release. I have tested at 1ppm for the last three days and have been dosing seachem stability as per the instruction on the bottle. Is the 1ppm ammonia leach I am getting enough, or should I add more ammonia? If so what level of ammonia should I aim for?

Thanks!

29 Gallon Planted Tank - Eheim Professional 4+ 250 canister filter followed by mechanical foam filtration, bio-home ultimate - Eheim Jager heater 100W -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

As long as you have ammonia present, you dont need to add any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 01:29 AM
Algae Grower

An old thread but I am having the same issue. Going on day 2 now with zero ammonia from my Controsoil, 0 Nitires and 0 Nitrate as well. 6.6 PH.

I thought the Controsoil would at least give me some ammonia.

I was thinking of adding a Betta to get things rolling but I also have Dr. Tim’s liquid am. I mean I chose Controsoil because of it’s lack of ammonia leech but did not expect it to be non existent.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnovice33 View Post
An old thread but I am having the same issue. Going on day 2 now with zero ammonia from my Controsoil, 0 Nitires and 0 Nitrate as well. 6.6 PH.

I thought the Controsoil would at least give me some ammonia.

I was thinking of adding a Betta to get things rolling but I also have Dr. Tim’s liquid am. I mean I chose Controsoil because of it’s lack of ammonia leech but did not expect it to be non existent.
Try adding some ammonia and see what happens. If it's processed, add the betta.

|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 2 bit early to be adding fish isn't it? Tank cycling not even started yet! Go with the liquid ammonia drops and give it another few weeks.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

I don’t mind doing the water changes and I add fish very slowly. It was just to get ammonia in there - a slow fish in cycle. It’s a 60 gallon so the betta would never create enough ammonia itself to be harmful. But I’ve decided against it as it would take forever I’d rather be able to add whatever in 4 weeks or so.

Still I am shocked to see this Controsoil literally not giving out any ammonia. I have a golf ball sized Christmas moss and a bunch of tiny tissue culture plants and 40L of Controsoil...so I assumed there should be something.

Oh well guess I’ll add ammonia myself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	F66113C9-6A53-4320-8BA7-5521ABEE94E3_1603763867244.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	4.11 MB
ID:	904657

FN33

Tags
ammonia, controsoil, cycle, nitrogen cycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode