Whatís in your canisters? - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
It's a bucket, I don't know how many gallons it holds, peat inside a nylon bag, there were two bags full, I'd say maybe 200g worth? Maybe more, dunno. It's the Fluval peat granules. I have heard that you shouldn't soak it before but whatever.
That's a bunch relative to the volume of water. For my Spec 5 gallon I use a small ~3"x6" filter bag probably about 1/3-ish full. Not sure how many grams that would be but call it about a 2"x3"x1" pack of peat. About like an extra large heaping tablespoon or a little more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Algae Grower

Hang in there. It just takes time. You should hopefully start seeing drops in your nitrates by around December or so.

You're not doing it wrong. As long as you are using foams in the right order (coarse then medium then fine) it should be ok, and prevent the media from clogging.
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
That's a bunch relative to the volume of water. For my Spec 5 gallon I use a small ~3"x6" filter bag probably about 1/3-ish full. Not sure how many grams that would be but call it about a 2"x3"x1" pack of peat. About like an extra large heaping tablespoon or a little more.
Yeah I put them in my 55G and 20G and it didn't drop too much so that's fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0

post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
For my larger tanks >24" in length, I usually run two canister filters to that I can do regular filter maintenance without worrying about re-cycling my tanks due to crashes in my beneficial bacteria population. For both canisters I run an entire level with Rena/API Biostars (completely filled!). And use one filter for fine filtration and the other filter for carbon filtration. Here's my typical set up:

Canister 1: Water buffer
- 1st layer = coarse mechanical
- 2nd layer = fine mechanical
- 3rd layer = organics (API Biostars)

Canister 2: Carbon filter
- 1st layer = coarse mechanical
- 2nd layer = organics (API Biostars)
- 3rd layer = activated carbon

If I have a 4th layer (seen with the larger canister filters), I will put whatever I think is needed (e.g. additional bio/organics, carbon, or mechanical) and place it in the appropriate level (e.g. additional coarse mechanical will go after another coarse mechanical, additional carbon will go after the bio/organics layer, etc.)

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M

Last edited by ced281; 09-02-2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Meant API biostars NOT seachem biostars
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

@ced281 - Seachem markets Matrix and De*nitrate (a pumice stone) bio-media but I'm not aware of a biostar product?? Perhaps API Bio-Chem STARS?

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 09-02-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: update
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
Yes -- I meant API. Whoops sorry! I bought all of mine when they were still owned by Rena, but that got bought out by some other big label brand/company. (Will edit my post to make it clear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
@ced281 - Seachem markets Matrix and De*nitrate (a pumice stone) bio-media but I'm not aware of a biostar product?? Perhaps API Bio-Chem STARS?

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 AM

I realize I'm a little late to this thread but, for anyone who is thinking of running Seachem Matrix as their bio filtration, here is an interesting study/test that was conducted by other members of plantedtank. I've also seen very similar results in other tests.

https://www.plantedtank.net/#/topics/1045898

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode