Need Advice for built in overflow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
This was originally going to be a Reef Tank. I've decided to go the planted tank route instead.
Outside dimensions of the tank are 24x24x21.

The problem is the overflow and how to utilize it properly, or not utilize at all. The overflow is a fixed piece and will not be removed. There are 3 drilled holes inside the bottom of the overflow.

I thought about using the overflow as a built-in planter. Pack it full of substrate and grow something out of it. Maybe drill holes into the wall of the overflow to promote water flow. Good idea or bad idea?

I don't want to use a sump. That the current plan anyhow. I've got a Eheim cannister already.

I'm short on ideas... please help me out.

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180824_124954_1535141190841.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	867769  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If money were no object, I'd say sell the tank and replace it with a tank without a built in overflow.

Since that's not likely to be a solution, and you want to use a canister filter on the tank, I'd put plugs in the plumbing, and put some substrata in the overflow and try growing tall plants that can grow over the top of the overflow. Removing the overflow could be done, but you might want to use it in the future. Using a sump will allow a much cleaner looking tank, since it will not have all the tubes and such running around.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can connect the canister intake to the overflow, either by placing the intake u-tube into the overflow or connect the intake tubing to one of the overflow drains.

This will let you hide the heater and other equipment in the overflow. The overflow water level will be somewhat sensitive to evaporation, but if you fill the tank fairly high to begin with it won't be a problem.

You can place a basket of substrate in the overflow and grow plants out of the water, but I would discourage going that route. Mixing aquatic and terrestrial growth makes it very difficult to light the tank properly. The terrestrial plant will also fill the overflow with roots, so you won't be able to hide any equipment in there without making access extremely messy.

TBH I would consider cutting out the overflow myself. The tank dimensions are challenging to begin with and that overflow looks like it takes a lot of useful space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
If money were no object, I'd say sell the tank and replace it with a tank without a built in overflow.

Since that's not likely to be a solution, and you want to use a canister filter on the tank, I'd put plugs in the plumbing, and put some substrata in the overflow and try growing tall plants that can grow over the top of the overflow. Removing the overflow could be done, but you might want to use it in the future. Using a sump will allow a much cleaner looking tank, since it will not have all the tubes and such running around.
I may go out and price a new smaller tank. Smaller maybe better in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
You can connect the canister intake to the overflow, either by placing the intake u-tube into the overflow or connect the intake tubing to one of the overflow drains.

This will let you hide the heater and other equipment in the overflow. The overflow water level will be somewhat sensitive to evaporation, but if you fill the tank fairly high to begin with it won't be a problem.

You can place a basket of substrate in the overflow and grow plants out of the water, but I would discourage going that route. Mixing aquatic and terrestrial growth makes it very difficult to light the tank properly. The terrestrial plant will also fill the overflow with roots, so you won't be able to hide any equipment in there without making access extremely messy.

TBH I would consider cutting out the overflow myself. The tank dimensions are challenging to begin with and that overflow looks like it takes a lot of useful space.
I've explored removing the overflow. I would move forward if I could remove absolutely all the silicone without scratching up the glass.
I may go smaller and sell the tank.

Thanks everyone!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post

Just curious why you'd say that. Granted, I don't like overflows, as it's a place for fish to jump into.

But at the same time, I don't like having my heater, and thermometer in my display tank. I really do like the thought of having a sump - you don't have to disturb your animals when doing water changes, it hides your equipment, etc.

So, I'm on the fence....just curious why you're on that side...

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm not "on that side". The OP didn't want an overflow and sump. If you remove an overflow from a tank, the tank is still going to look patched up. If you replace the overflow, you get a clean looking install.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Originally, it's not that I did not want my overflow, it's that I needed ideas to utilize my overflow .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode