Backround needed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Backround needed?

Hey guys, just wanted to throw my scape up and ask if.... I should add a flat black background to this setup? I'm limited to this countertop for space.. Figure with the current plants, a dark black background would be a nice touch... feel as though the clear glass background is affecting the view of the green...

Mr aqua 12 Gal. 3 weeks old on tank. Carpeting started. Eleo-par. Reineicki regular. Java wedged in dragonstone. Ada power sand, Ada powder Amazonia. Eheim 250 cranked all the way up, Jardil Lillies. Current LED. C02 4BPS(for now), Aquatek mini with 20 oz tippman c02. Water still cycling, Amazonia really leeches some ammonia. Prob do about 10 neon card or tetras after some more research on their hardiness, maybe some form of shrimp.

Would like input on background, general hardscape, and potential fish shrimp you would put in this setup. Also cardinals vs tetras(neon) for hardiness considerations only?

Will be getting a tank within the next year custom made. 48-12-8(H) rimless... Until then help me with suggestions to make this the best I can, please!

Thanks!

Last edited by Chhr05; 10-03-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any replies? thoughts?

Replies or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! This is my first attempt at a planted tank!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get some black poster paper and try it out, cheap and quick and you can see how you feel about it. It's going to be down to personal preference, some people would stick white, others like black. I think either would work. A very light blue would be another option.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd go with a white or semi opaque white background with that scape. Shrimp are a good choice for that tank layout but most fish will happily eat shrimp fry... other than the otocinclus catfish.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:01 AM
Algae Grower

White might look better than black due to white wall behind
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

for iwagumi i prefer frosted or no background, or white at most. Your scape is very linear/one-direction. Don't think you were asking for comments on the scape itself but there needs to be more 'tension' instead of all the rocks flowing in the same direction. It looks quite unnatural to me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Planted Member

I paint the back of all of my tanks with craft paint and a sponge roller. I use black, blue, and red. I don't like the looks of any other colors. Black is a favorite with live plants. Blue with fake. Red as quarantine/hospital tank

Tags
background, neon, plants, setup, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode