Dehumidifier water in your aquarium. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up Dehumidifier water in your aquarium.

I have found many asking about using dehumidifier water in your aquarium. Assuming it is a newer dehumidifier, you don't smoke or run incense in the same room as the dehumidifier. according to this article your water is safe to drink. Keep in mind this article is considering human conditions not aquarium condition. I wanted to share just in case you found it helpful. please consider the other link below before actually using the gray water in your tanks.

https://www.maximumyield.com/free-wa...-plants/2/1211

the google searches I found useful were,

recycle dehumidifier water for drinking
recycle dehumidification water for fish

OTHER links to consider before making the final decision!!!
https://grist.org/green-living-tips/...-dehumidifier/
https://dcpaleo.org/recycling-dehumidifier-water/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"Gray water" should be fine for watering garden plants or making compost tea as mentioned in the articles you linked. With all the organic matter and humic sources found in compost tea, tap water usually isn't a problem anyway. For an aquarium that has the need for such soft water, distilled water is cheap enough. I pay like 60 cents a gallon for distilled water around here. I have an R/O unit as well but it's very wasteful... way more than a few gallons you might toss out from a dehumidifier. Rain water might be another option, depending on where and how you collect it. In other words, you might not want to collect it from your gutters or in high pollution areas.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
For many, they can find far more effective ways to save, both water and money if they really look. There may be some benefit in using the water from a dehumidifier but far more can be saved by modified water use in other areas. Think of the gallons of water wasted because the toilet is running or water going down the drain while shaving, brushing the teeth, etc. How many actually do take a "navy shower" where the water is actually turned off during part of the process?
madcrafted likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Personally, I can't stand those high efficiency no water in the bowl toilets. Those things are the devil. Though I don't leave the water running while shaving or brushing my teeth.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
Personally, I can't stand those high efficiency no water in the bowl toilets. Those things are the devil. Though I don't leave the water running while shaving or brushing my teeth.
The toilet bowl design is something that has had a fair amount of "learning curve" in getting them to work really well. If you have some of the older, less reliable designs, they are not very good but the new designs are much nicer for what I want. Maximum flushing power with far less noise and no cleaning required. To be effective, I find the stool has to be designed to be pretty close to "fool-resistant" as the public is not very much inclined to thinking! There is no such thing as fool-proof so we have to settle for fool-resistant?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
The toilet bowl design is something that has had a fair amount of "learning curve" in getting them to work really well. If you have some of the older, less reliable designs, they are not very good but the new designs are much nicer for what I want. Maximum flushing power with far less noise and no cleaning required. To be effective, I find the stool has to be designed to be pretty close to "fool-resistant" as the public is not very much inclined to thinking! There is no such thing as fool-proof so we have to settle for fool-resistant?
I can't redesign (would excessive fiber count as a redesign?) my stools to be smaller and not stick out of the water. I mean uhhh yes it's possible I've only tried early "high efficiency" toilets.

To be honest I'm thinking of wasting even more water and getting one of those crazy japanese bidet toilets... though it would probably be a net gain if it was a "high efficiency" bowl, I don't think the bidet part is using 2+ gallons. I've taken this thread on a horrific turn haven't I? C'est la vie.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Algae Grower

Make sure you keep your air filters clean. I wouldn't put that condensate water in my tank.

Tags
dehumidifier, drain, gray water, recycle, reuse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode