• 1 Post By nickquinteros
  • 1 Post By Sentinel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best method for flow in nano aquarium?

Hello,

What is the best method to increasing water circulation/flow in a 10g tank? All the wavemakers I have searched up have a gph that is much too strong for my 10g. I currently have an 85gph HOB filter that will be kept to the right side of my tank and I'm worried that the left side might have dead spots. Is an airstone or bubble bar a better option for some extra flow in a smaller sized tank? I'm planning on stocking a couple of dwarf puffers in there and I hear they prefer slow moving waters. Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:08 AM
Algae Grower

an airstone would work. they make small 80gph power heads. I've seen a few on amazon and eBay

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickquinteros View Post
an airstone would work. they make small 80gph power heads. I've seen a few on amazon and eBay

Cool, I'll definitely be looking into an airstone then! What's the difference between a powerhead and a wavemaker?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:41 AM
Algae Grower

An air pump with several T's branched off to two or four air stones is one way if you're fine with bubbles.
An internal filter (inlet at bottom, output at top) is another option but takes up tank space. Some are very small.
There has to be a tiny power head someone makes for nano reef tanks.
waterblossom likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterblossom View Post
Cool, I'll definitely be looking into an airstone then! What's the difference between a powerhead and a wavemaker?
wave makers are usually not as powerful since the water they move is wider where a power head has a narrow output. a wavemaker might be better for you since your tank is small but you want one that is still rated at around 80gph

waterblossom likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterblossom View Post
I could be wrong but Marineland and some other water pumps are convertible. You can have it axial like a plain propeller, or ceiling fan, and they move a TON of water. To me, this is a wave maker.
Or you switch the outlet, and a filter screen return, and the motor spins a centrifugal prop blade, and will move 1/4 the water volume. You put a sponge over the inlet and it's a powerhead?

The product I have is a Maxi-Jet 400. Straight propeller, it moves 500 gph. Put the angled outlet and screen bottom on it, it's rated for 110 gph. With the wide spread grille, the 110 gph setup feels pretty gentle, but maybe too much IMO for a 10 gallon.
waterblossom likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode