Making stand Taller & Earthquake straps or cabinet anchors? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Making stand Taller & Earthquake straps or cabinet anchors?

My aquarium sits low, at my waist. Tanks closer to eye view at stores always look better. I was wondering if it's worth raising it with a stack of 4x4"s? Going to move my aquarium from a corner the center of room too. I've always had a fear of an earthquake knocking everything over which would be catastrophic and possible being in California. And even more so if I place a row of blocks under my cabinet stand.

So I was wondering how you would go about elevating a stand and attaching the cabinet to the wall? And what about the tank on top? Cabinet also does not have center support beam, I could squeeze in a 2x4 block for added peace of mind.

Tank is tall and narrow which is why I'm worried. 36" X 10" wide. 17" tall. Cabinet it sits on is roughly 38" x 14".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe time to DIY a new stand that bolts to the wall and even the floor?

Later Ferdie

F is for fish (with plants) - the more I see the more I like. Need more pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-fish View Post
Maybe time to DIY a new stand that bolts to the wall and even the floor?

Later Ferdie
I totally would but I'm not set on having this weird sized 26 gallon forever. Also apartment life...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

yeah .. then maybe a short term solution - cut the legs off the couch?

Later Ferdie

F is for fish (with plants) - the more I see the more I like. Need more pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Two major parts to this question!
Raising the stand may be the easier part as it is a personal choice for you to make. But the earthquake bracing? That can be a trick as it involved quite a number of factors like permission from the owners of the building as well as a sometimes political question involved simply having a tank. Tanks allowed so that asking about bracing for safety does not make for a worse situation? In that case, I would approach the correct people, stressing that you want to do the right thing to avoid any future disasters. From there it can go either way. They can find your thinking admirable or scuttle the whole idea of even marking a wall!
So moving to the "easy" part! For a temporary, I might look at a simple stand under the stand with the idea that it may look a bit different but passible. How far to carry the design to fit the appearance is one for you to decide. Are we speaking a great looking apartment where a significant other is involved or one where the gym socks make be hanging on the chair? Your call, there!!!
For simple, reasonably cheap and temporary. I would look at knocking together a 2X4 frame to elevate things, cover it with cheap fabric and go with it. For more class and better long term use, I would go with building a frame covered with plywood, etc. to match the existing and then go more effort to use molding to tie the two designs together more.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Two major parts to this question!
Raising the stand may be the easier part as it is a personal choice for you to make. But the earthquake bracing? That can be a trick as it involved quite a number of factors like permission from the owners of the building as well as a sometimes political question involved simply having a tank. Tanks allowed so that asking about bracing for safety does not make for a worse situation? In that case, I would approach the correct people, stressing that you want to do the right thing to avoid any future disasters. From there it can go either way. They can find your thinking admirable or scuttle the whole idea of even marking a wall!
So moving to the "easy" part! For a temporary, I might look at a simple stand under the stand with the idea that it may look a bit different but passible. How far to carry the design to fit the appearance is one for you to decide. Are we speaking a great looking apartment where a significant other is involved or one where the gym socks make be hanging on the chair? Your call, there!!!
For simple, reasonably cheap and temporary. I would look at knocking together a 2X4 frame to elevate things, cover it with cheap fabric and go with it. For more class and better long term use, I would go with building a frame covered with plywood, etc. to match the existing and then go more effort to use molding to tie the two designs together more.
Thanks! Yeah it is a condominium, yes, it will be a problem with the significant other if aesthetics are not spot on. I like the molding idea a lot. Corners might be tricky though. I haven't measured the stands height but I think 4 rows of 4x4 (which are 3.5" X 3.5") would work out great, and that 3.5" should make a big difference. Or we're you thinking 2x4's sitting on the 2" side on ground?

Current stand is a light maple stain. As for holes in the wall, shouldn't be a problem, I was thinking of finding a stud behind the stand, and screwing in a thick steel angled bracket, and then screwing that into the stand. However the tank just sits on top but I THINK it would be fine? However it's the tall narrow thing that could get tipsy. Again, 36 x 10 x 17tall
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think of time spent in Huntington Beach as a reference and then some of the things I see on water heaters strapped to the wall. There is an item called "plumbers strap" which is used to steady water heaters to help keep them from falling over. Tends to reduce damage in the smaller quakes but really if it is the big thing, likely the fish tank is not the big worry, right?
Any way, the strap can be attached to the stand with either bolts or a good thick lag screw run into one of the frame members and then back to the wall stud. Something like done with tall furniture to hold it from flipping. It all gets down to how big a bump and what is practical to figure for what we actually want to prep against. I look for things to do to protect me and family more than fish. Things like moving heavy stuff off the wall above the bed!! Secure the chimney that might fall through the roof! Those are the ones I check. I plan to grab wife and children and run like hell and the fish may have to do the same?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Banned

There will be a lot of load on the stand from the earth motion and the weight of the tank. I would bolt that to the wall. The tan cannot be bolted down because the bolts will have to penetrate the glass or acrylic walls. So that should be strapped to the wall.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode