Planted tank not thriving but I think the NPK levels are reasonable - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Planted tank not thriving but I think the NPK levels are reasonable

I'd like to get some help with my planted tank please. It's a 240l with Juwel LEDs and a 7 hour photo period. I'm injecting CO2 starting 2 hours before lights come on and cutting off 2 hours before the lights turn off. It's decently planted (I wouldn't say heavily planted) and it's stocked with approx 15 rainbowfish (bosmani, red, Kamaka). I last changed water and approx 10 days ago and added some Potassium fertilizer such that the NPK levels were 10ppm Nitrates, 2-5ppm PO4 and 15ppm K. The plants pearl everyday and the CO2 levels get to approx 30ppm at peak.

10 days on and levels are c.40ppm Nitrates, 2-5ppm PO4, 10-15ppm K. I am finding that my plants are growing well. My pygmy chain sword is growing runners but very slowly, Bacopa is showing little to no growth, amazon sword is growing new leaves but slowly, dwarf water lettuce is dying off slowly after turning yellow.

Can anyone suggest some possible reasons that my plants aren't thriving?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @JasonC7

Welcome to TPT!

It sounds like you nutrient parameters are good, maybe just a little low for nitrates but overall fine. Since you indicate you get 'pearling' I would believe that the light intensity is good. I find that Bacopa is a slower growing stem plant for me even when it becomes established. It is also possible that if the stems are relatively new (2-3 months or so) that the stems were grown emersed and have not yet transitioned to submerged growth. Do you happen to know your water parameters; pH, dKH, dGH? Calcium and Magnesium are not considered 'macro-nutrients' but can drastically effect plant growth and health.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Seattle Aquarist,
thanks for the reply. Apologies for the delayed response but i've been out of town.

My pH swings between c.7.8 and 6.9 without and with CO2 during the day respectively. My dKH is c.7 and dGH is c. 17. Are these value within the norm?

I'm starting to suspect Fe deficiency as some of my watter lettuce leaves are turning yellow, then wasting away. I've started dosing more micros and Fe daily and have also added some Seachem root tabs to the substrate to see if that helps... Is there anything else that you think I may be missing?

Many thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC7 View Post
Hi Seattle Aquarist,
thanks for the reply. Apologies for the delayed response but i've been out of town.

My pH swings between c.7.8 and 6.9 without and with CO2 during the day respectively. My dKH is c.7 and dGH is c. 17. Are these value within the norm?

I'm starting to suspect Fe deficiency as some of my watter lettuce leaves are turning yellow, then wasting away. I've started dosing more micros and Fe daily and have also added some Seachem root tabs to the substrate to see if that helps... Is there anything else that you think I may be missing?

Many thanks!
Hi JasonC7,

Both your dKH and dGH are high, could you please post a picture so we can see what it looks like?

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode