Question about new Cycle - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By iMacg3
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 77
Question about new Cycle

started a cycle with 4 starters .
I don't want to use many plants
( i dont have so much anyway )
I have 2 islands with rocks and a layer of 1 bag Amazonia light and 25 kilos of filter sand (attached photo)

I saw aquariums with 20% planted areas and still it looks like it possible to run a cycle with small amount of plants
Is it ?
My question is :
Avoiding algee and having a good cycle in my situation what should i do with the light hours / water changing / co2 ?

Good advise will appreciated

Answers like
" adding a lot of plants" will not help me now .


Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
gilya is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 12,037
Sounds like a normal "new guy" situation! No problem as we all had to start somewhere, so looking at some basics may help. Even if we read it once, we sometimes need review.
The "cycle" is getting the right bacteria to handle the expected ammonia that comes from any type of waste.
The ammonia that might build up to harm fish can be handled in two ways. We could just keep changing enough water to remove the ammonia in the old and replace with new fresh water. But that takes time and work that most don't/won't do so we want to grow bacteria to do the two steps of the job.
Ammonia- Very bad for fish so we let a group grow which converts this to nitrite
Nitrite- Still very bad for fish so we then need to let a second group of bacteria grow to convert nitrite to nitrate which is not very bad and we can get it out by letting plants use it as food or we can change water to remove it.
Sometimes we do a combination of changing water while the bacteria grows as well as letting some of it be used by plants.
How to get there depends on what we can do and what we have to do it. Testing the ammonia is often important as it is the dangerous part to the fish as it burns their gills. Permanent damage which shortens their life.
I see one fish and a few plants so I would like to test for ammonia, watch that I keep water changed to hold that down and try to let the bacteria grow. For the plants and algae, I assume there will be some algae but try not to let it run wild. Try lights for maybe five hours a day as too much is easy to do. CO2 would be nice as it does make the plants grow quicker and use more of the nitrate and such but it is also difficult and not easy for the new person.
One smallish fish, don't feed nearly as much as he will beg to have! They are born beggers and that leads to more ammonia/more trouble. Feed little, change lots of water and be very patient as the plants and tank get settled! Good luck to you and remember one thing. ENJOY!
PlantedRich is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 77
Thanks
Since sunday
There are 6 fish now
Amonia zero
No co2
6 hours light (just 2 t5 54watt)
I do not worry about the look of the plants , I worry that small amount of plants cause algee to grow !.?!

Is it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Sounds like a normal "new guy" situation! No problem as we all had to start somewhere, so looking at some basics may help. Even if we read it once, we sometimes need review.
The "cycle" is getting the right bacteria to handle the expected ammonia that comes from any type of waste.
The ammonia that might build up to harm fish can be handled in two ways. We could just keep changing enough water to remove the ammonia in the old and replace with new fresh water. But that takes time and work that most don't/won't do so we want to grow bacteria to do the two steps of the job.
Ammonia- Very bad for fish so we let a group grow which converts this to nitrite
Nitrite- Still very bad for fish so we then need to let a second group of bacteria grow to convert nitrite to nitrate which is not very bad and we can get it out by letting plants use it as food or we can change water to remove it.
Sometimes we do a combination of changing water while the bacteria grows as well as letting some of it be used by plants.
How to get there depends on what we can do and what we have to do it. Testing the ammonia is often important as it is the dangerous part to the fish as it burns their gills. Permanent damage which shortens their life.
I see one fish and a few plants so I would like to test for ammonia, watch that I keep water changed to hold that down and try to let the bacteria grow. For the plants and algae, I assume there will be some algae but try not to let it run wild. Try lights for maybe five hours a day as too much is easy to do. CO2 would be nice as it does make the plants grow quicker and use more of the nitrate and such but it is also difficult and not easy for the new person.
One smallish fish, don't feed nearly as much as he will beg to have! They are born beggers and that leads to more ammonia/more trouble. Feed little, change lots of water and be very patient as the plants and tank get settled! Good luck to you and remember one thing. ENJOY!
Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
gilya is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower
 
iMacg3's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilya View Post
Thanks

I do not worry about the look of the plants , I worry that small amount of plants cause algee to grow !.?!

Is it ?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Plants will not cause algae to grow. Algae is merely part of starting a new aquarium

Follow the advice of PlantedRich for a successful aquarium.
gilya likes this.

~ iMacg3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
iMacg3 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 12,037
Algae is a hard thing for most of us as it does come in so many ways. There are very few who do not have some algae but the main idea is to keep it from becoming such a problem that it grows on plants and keeps them from getting the light they need to grow.
Sounds like you do have enough light for the plants, keep watch and try not to give the tank too much light as that can make algae grow very well. But for the plants, they also need some form of carbon to grow as well as some form of food. The carbon can be from CO2 or it can also be from liquid like Excel which is a liquid form of carbon. Also the plants will need some form of food. We often call it fertilizer or ferts. Some of this food can comes from the waste from fish and fish food but that is often hard to control and we often find we need to add ferts in some form to get better growing plants. The better growing helps to use up some of the nitrate and keep the algae from growing so well.
So we often speak of a "balance" of light, carbon (CO2?) and ferts. Getting this balance, while watching that algae doesn't get out of control is something that most of us never really get totally under control as it can sneak up at any time.
Like having a cold or the flu? It is always ther, waiting but we need to try to control it. In tanks that do not have plants, we often just scrape the algae off the tank walls but when we want to grow plants, we don't want to try to scrape it off them!
PlantedRich is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 77
Thanks
I understood that on the first 2 months don't need to add any ferts because of using Amazonia .
Regarding algee ....
I did the new Cycle after 3 years of trying getting rid of a green and black algee that was all over the same aquarium.

That's why I am so worry from the reason who brought me doing that Cycle process again
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Algae is a hard thing for most of us as it does come in so many ways. There are very few who do not have some algae but the main idea is to keep it from becoming such a problem that it grows on plants and keeps them from getting the light they need to grow.
Sounds like you do have enough light for the plants, keep watch and try not to give the tank too much light as that can make algae grow very well. But for the plants, they also need some form of carbon to grow as well as some form of food. The carbon can be from CO2 or it can also be from liquid like Excel which is a liquid form of carbon. Also the plants will need some form of food. We often call it fertilizer or ferts. Some of this food can comes from the waste from fish and fish food but that is often hard to control and we often find we need to add ferts in some form to get better growing plants. The better growing helps to use up some of the nitrate and keep the algae from growing so well.
So we often speak of a "balance" of light, carbon (CO2?) and ferts. Getting this balance, while watching that algae doesn't get out of control is something that most of us never really get totally under control as it can sneak up at any time.
Like having a cold or the flu? It is always ther, waiting but we need to try to control it. In tanks that do not have plants, we often just scrape the algae off the tank walls but when we want to grow plants, we don't want to try to scrape it off them!
Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
gilya is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Raith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Edison, New Jersey
Posts: 1,498
I have to say, I am digging the background paper.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
Raith is online now  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 12,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilya View Post
Thanks
I understood that on the first 2 months don't need to add any ferts because of using Amazonia .
Regarding algee ....
I did the new Cycle after 3 years of trying getting rid of a green and black algee that was all over the same aquarium.

That's why I am so worry from the reason who brought me doing that Cycle process again

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Yes, once burned we do get anxious that it will happen again. Algae seems to be the real problem that many will give up the hobby. I constantly watch and wonder when it will show up as it seems to have manner ways to get started.
We just have to carry on! We are only a failure when we decide we are beaten, until then we have only lost the last round and might win the next!
gilya likes this.
PlantedRich is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
I have to say, I am digging the background paper.


Me too could you share where you got it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Uncle_R is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 77
gilya is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 12,037
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilya View Post
If you both digging about the cycle with amazonia ...so ...i read it here
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
I'm thinking we have a communications problem!!!
I had to see the second post but I "think" they are asking about the background in your tank and if it is paper, where did you get it?
gilya likes this.
PlantedRich is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 77
I think you right ..lol

[Ebay Link Removed] thinking we have a communications problem!!!
I had to see the second post but I "think" they are asking about the background in your tank and if it is paper, where did you get it?[/QUOTE]

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
gilya is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 23
[QUOTE=gilya;11087569]You mean this ?
[Ebay Link Removed]



Yes, thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Uncle_R is online now  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Raith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Edison, New Jersey
Posts: 1,498
[QUOTE=gilya;11087569]You mean this ?
[Ebay Link Removed]

Awwwyeah, I like it, though I probably would not use it for me, I am a fan!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
Raith is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome