2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bratmanxj
  • 1 Post By JMonsta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Background DRYLOK CLEAR

Howdy fellow planted tank nerds, first i would like to thank everyone on here for documenting and helping one another achieve things in this hobby most would not attempt. I applaud you all for your efforts, i figure i have some rather useful information after experiments and failures.

So whats the big scoop? Here is the backstory

My first tank this January was dirted, yes! right to the good stuff. After finding this forum i was off to the races, ended up with a super heavily planted tank that just worked. Miracle grow potting mix, 1" cap of gravel, lots of plants, 5 Denison Barb, 4 Filament Barb, 5 Odessa Barb, 6 Tiger Barb, 4 Cherry Barb, Vampire Pleco, Leopard Frog Pleco, and recently added 6 Giant Danio as top swimmers. No problems, not one, because i read lots and lots of these forums. Mind you a month ago the dirt came out for Sand Blasting grit but thats another story.

The good stuff.. I decided to wanted to build a background for my tank. But not my main tank, to many variables to worry about. So i purchased a 10gal to experiment with. Purchased some foam at lowes, spent countless hours carving away with the lady. After days of carving (only a few hours a day) it was all done up and looking great, even decided to build a waterfall under the filter to shush the water up. Somewhere about here i started looking for DRYLOK, i live on canada, Ontario to be somewhat precise. Only 1 store i found could even get it, on order. So i waited a week, and ordered DRYLOK CLEAR, thinking i could use Quickrete under it for color.

I bought some Quickrete hydraulic water stop cement, mixed it rather thin just to get some on. Let it dry for 2 days, and then did 2 more thick coats letting 3 days dry between. It looked great. I let the background sit for 2 weeks after. I did not want any moisture in the cement and made sure it was well cured before putting on DRYLOK CLEAR. I applied 3 normal coats, like painting a wall in your house. All the way around, back, sides, filter and heater cut out, everywhere. Then it dried for another 2 weeks, and it was siliconed in the tank with GE, sat for another week to let the Silicone cure.

Gameday was here, I rinsed the whole tank in the bathtub for a good 40 mins. Dumping the water out maybe 10 times. Then i set it up, dirted the bottom, capped it with black sand, threw in driftwood, and a few plants. Slowly i watched every plant die in 2 weeks, except dwarf sag but being in dirt i dont think it could die lol. The water was cloudy, bubbly and almost foamy on top. I did maybe 10 water changes during this period, plus 3 the first day. I used bio rings and sponge from my cycled tank, and fresh charcoal. Every water test it did was fine, but something was very wrong, something i couldn't test.

DRYLOK CLEAR, that was the problem. It slowly broke down just over 2 weeks, not enough to even notice on the background either. But enough to cause major problems, and something i cannot describe. It has almost coated the driftwood in this weird white mold looking stuff, and even parts of the sand. Which explains cloudy water, DRYLOK CLEAR is not fish safe. I cant imagine what would happen to a fish being in this environment, let alone a few plants. Just wanted to share this with everyone, as i could not find a thing about DRYLOK CLEAR on here!

Picture gallery
https://imgur.com/a/XLyzZmU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
When I did my DIY background I did a saltwater cure for about 2 weeks. Use water softener salt, cover the whole bottom about 2-3" deep with the salt tablets and fill. Put an empty filter or circulation pump and let sit for a few days and run. Over 2 weeks I'd do 3-4 water changes at 100% with a new layer of salt tablets.

I didn't use drylock clear, I used a spray can of Rustoleum concrete sealant and haven't had any issues with flaking or scaling in 4 yrs now.
deeda likes this.

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
You have to use the latex based DryLock. I believe the DryLock clear is oil based.

http://www.drylok.com/

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry missed some replies here guys.

@Bratmanxj - Do you happen to have a link to the exact product you used? i'm all for learning! I guess the real question can you find this stuff in canada. Drylok itself was literally only at 1 hardware store, on order for a week wait.

@daFrimpster - Correct. Being for a toss away tank i was not concerned to master the process but to gain experience. It did not cross my mind to look up MSDS for it. As everything i read was use drylok, it never clicked in my head it would be a totally different chemical makeup until i seen things go downhill. Working on project 2, with the right drylok now
daFrimpster likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's quite normal for drift wood to grow white mould, it usually goes away in a couple of weeks and doesn't cause any harm - so it's probably unrelated. Just so you don't panic if it turns up again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
It's quite normal for drift wood to grow white mould, it usually goes away in a couple of weeks and doesn't cause any harm - so it's probably unrelated. Just so you don't panic if it turns up again.
Did not know this, thanks! Does it depend on the type of wood possibly? or just something inside certain pieces of wood? Cheers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
After being away from the site for a few months I noticed your response

Rust-Oleum Concrete Sealer

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode