Getting a 40b can I use my current filters? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By babystarz
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting a 40b can I use my current filters?

So as the title says I'm getting a 40 gallon breeder tank
I ordered a fluval 206 yesterday and I have a eheim 2211(cycled) that I plan to use both on this tank. Do you thing this will be enough filtration for this sized tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Filtering takes many shapes and forms as there are an unlimited number of variables, so it gets down to specifics. I think of filtering as a series of operations and then look at each of those to see if the filter does that operation to meat what is needed for each tank as there are many ways to adjust the results.
Mechanical?
Does the filter remove the correct amount of debris from the tank to hide it out of sight until I get the time to clean the filter. Two cans should, even though they are on the small end but that can be bumped up if we need by adding simple, cheap, powerheads in the places where the debris needs a "kick" to get it moved on down the line. I use lots of the super small powerheads off the auction for $7 as cheap and simple. two filter should give adequate time between cleanings but that depends on your personal schedule and wishes.
Bio?
How much waste from fish stock and plant material needs to be converted from ammonia to nitrate? Varies a lot from tank to tank, so no firm way to say. I would guess that two small cans could do the job.
Water movement to get CO2, O2, ferts moved to all parts of the tank and keep the temp uniform?
I go with powerheads to do the simple stuff.
I would start with what I have and adjust if the guess is wrong, not change due to some magic number proposed a sure cure for all tanks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm using an Eheim 2211 in my 40 Breeder plus an air-driven sponge filter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lustar-Hydro-...ter+75+gallons

I added the sponge filter because I intentionally reduced the intake flow (and therefore the output flow), so the sponge filter helps with circulation and aeration, plus more surface bacteria/a backup if something goes wrong (the air pump is connected to a backup battery if the power goes out).

Is the sponge filter necessary? Not really. But I like the perks and it's cheap. It gives me extra leeway for spawning/growing out fry if I need to. I think just the Eheim 2211 on its own would be fine for most purposes in a 40 gallon tank. Like Rich said, it's down to what you're doing with the tank. It would be way more than enough (i.e. unnecessary) for some purposes and not others.
PlantedRich likes this.

.`.`..`.><(((>

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Planted Member

Dm...

If you're a good water changer and by this I mean you remove and replace half or more of the tank water every week, you don't need a lot of filtration. The filters are simply filtering water that's already clean. Check the gph (gallons per hour) rating of your filters. If you're changing out a lot of water every week, then a decent gph rating for a 40 gallon tank would be 160.

M

"The fish keeping hobby is very simple. Just change out a lot of water, a lot of the time!"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiTankGuy View Post
Dm...

If you're a good water changer and by this I mean you remove and replace half or more of the tank water every week, you don't need a lot of filtration. The filters are simply filtering water that's already clean. Check the gph (gallons per hour) rating of your filters. If you're changing out a lot of water every week, then a decent gph rating for a 40 gallon tank would be 160.

M
I do not disagree with this as there are certainly tanks which fit this idea for setting a simple "formula" on how to run a tank. But I also see lots of tanks which will not fit the "standard" thinking. A tank with three big fish and three small plants will work much different than a tank with 30 small fish and plants that cover the whole scene. In the last case, there may be far more need for mechanical filtering to avoid piles of debris stacking up in and around the plants. Eventually that debris becomes more and problems so I find that each tank has to be watched and monitored rather than setting a simple method of always doing the same and expecting it to work. There is the obvious "new tank syndrome" but I feel there is also an "old tank syndrome" which we need to be aware of so that we do not let it sneak up on us.
What may work for a new tank will almost certainly need to be changed after a few years.
I think filter advise might be simple if we start with the idea that it is an estimate. My advise? Look, learn and make the best guess when starting but certainly be ready to adjust it as needed.
patfat likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Planted Member

Planted...

No doubt every tank has some slight differences, but water changes isn't one of them. If we're talking about a basic tank with fish from the local pet store like the majority of us keep, the success of keeping them ultimately depends on one thing and that's pure water conditions. By simply removing and replacing most of the water every week, no exceptions, whatever lives in the tank will be healthy and the tank keeper has little to worry about.

M

"The fish keeping hobby is very simple. Just change out a lot of water, a lot of the time!"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode