1Likes
  • 1 Post By Overrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Large peaceful fish for planted tank.

Hello dear hobbyists.
I've been keeping a 15 gallons tank ,fully planted with carpet and all for about a year now, housing some tetras, 3 guppy males and shrimps + 2ottos.
Also have a nano with a Betta and Otto's .

It's been going well , everything is ok and thriving. Dosing ferts for plants and liquid co2.

Now, I just found a very good deal for a 150 cm by 50 by 50.
I been studying and lurking around the web for various tank setups, fish species and what each group likes in terms of tank setup.
For me , it's always fully planted tanks that makes my heart beat a little faster each time I see a new setup.
So I plan to scape it with carpet, maybe not fully , I won't mind some bare substrate in the front ,green and red plants and possibly a big arch assembled together from oak and beech driftwood that I collected and prepared myself for the past year.

And now the fish . This is where I need your help.

Since I only had small tanks, I have no experience with large fish , what I know is from reading and studying scarcely on the web.

I know that angels , discus can do well in planted tanks, but my wife doesn't really like angels, altum angels are ok,but one Orinoco altum costs as much as the tank itself here in eastern europe, so it's a no no for me.
What we both like in terms of large fish are the chiclids, African large ones as well as US breeds.

What I would like is a fish that meets the following criteria:

-Be at least 6-7 inches at adulthood . Even bigger ,like 12-15 inches , as I won't keep but 4-5 maximum.
-non aggressive with smaller fish breeds, like tetras,barbs, cyprinids,rainbows,non-agressive labirinth, or killi fish.
-Not aggressive with plants (I know most chiclids are)

In short we look for a large display fish in the tank , similar with a large chiclid but for planted tank, that tolerates small tank mates.

As i said, I don't mind having to leave bare gravel at the front of the tank if the fish requires it.
Don't think that I will fill the aquarium with plants , only along the rear side , I will have some stem plants, maybe a couple large Anubias, some red plants ,Vallisneria , etc and for carpet ,eleocharis parvula or HC.

Thank you for your time, and have a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
It looks like this is a tank appx. 83 gallons, is that correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, that is correct.
We don't necessarily want fancy colours , just something that can easily be observed from the couch and when visitors enter the living room.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might throw in my thoughts as I feel you may have some info that needs a bit of explanation. When we hear that cichlids are most any single point, I feel that is not going to be correct but more of a case of painting all cichlids with the same brush. Too easy for the simple thinking crowd to simply make a blanket statement without looking closer!
I find that there are many of the common cichlids who do want to clear a territory for their spawning but that does not mean they are generally hard on plants. Simply hard on plants put in the wrong place or not leaving the correct place. The cichlids will arrange the tank if we do not! And it is also true that the most common big cichlids are those who also are most prone to doing the most damage. Oscars and Jack Dempsey are examples of these? Very common but also very difficult with plants if not done right.
Some of your wishes may not be practical but with some study, most of it can work. Eventual size of the fish sounds pretty close to too large for the tank but that doesn't mean those fish are totally out, just that they may not reach full size or be the ideal fish. Some thought and choices to be made there?
Also tank mates may need some adjustment as we do need to have fish who do not eat plant matter, so finding those who do not eat small fish, gets somewhat limiting. Providing cover for the small fish can help. There are some really nice fish who grow to near ten inches, eat bugs, and live mostly in the open water of Lake Malawi. But the choice of fish can be less problem than setting the tank to work for the fish chosen.
I have kept and bred these in planted tanks:
https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profil...es.php?id=1360
I do not fully agree with all the info on these fish but then I also have only kept them in a tank, not observed them in the lake! I find my fish do not eat algae but are generally very happy to have the large plants for cover from bright lights! They do not dig but do use the open space left for them to find nest sites! If I do not leave open space, they will dig to clear a space, so I have learned to cooperate!
They do not work hard to find small fish but I do give those small fish places to hide! They soon learn to ignore each other.
Setting the tank to work, can change the answer a great deal, so it takes a combo of the right fish with the right methods. Not something many do as they want instant success, not long term fun and satisfaction.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
12-15 inch fish are not suitable for a tank this size. Certainly not a group of fish this size. If you dont mind them not growing to their full potential ( which I wouldn't ever be happy with) the bio-load from fish this size in that volume of water would be a constant issue of concern.

I would look for fish that get no larger than 7 inches for a tank of this volume.
if you want cichlids you could do a group of discus, the amount of discus depending on if you wanted other fish or just a species tank.

I would also test your pH, KH/GH, TDS. Look for cichlids that will work with your water. This makes keeping them healthy much easier-- primarily due to osmoregulatory processes.

Hard water/high TDS works well with Central American cichlids and African Lake Cichlids.
Soft water/low TDS works well with South American Cichlids and African (Much not all) Riverine Cichlids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Algae Grower

Hi,

A fish 12 - 15" will not work in a tank that size. You will have to definitely look for something smaller.

~ iMacg3

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea, since my mind is used to work in cm and meters, I sometimes use inches when my mind was on cm.
7 Inches is what i'm looking for, maximum 8.

Bump: Yea, since my mind is used to work in cm and meters, I sometimes use inches when my mind was on cm.
7 Inches is what i'm looking for, maximum 8.
Discusluv likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

How about a festivum? I have long thought them to be under appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode