Shifting light schedule? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shifting light schedule?

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking of slowly shifting the time my lights come on and off. Currently, they come on at 8 and turn off 30 minutes after my Co2 at 6.

I work full time, 8-5 so I don't have much time to view my tank when the lights are on. I know both my fish and plants have a circadian rhythm and messing with the lights can hurt them both, but what would be the best method of changing the light schedule to around 2PM - 10PM? I was thinking of just shifting it 30 minutes to 1 hour a day till I'm at the desired time.

This is my first planted tank so I do not have a plethora of experience, I just want to be sure I do not shock or harm the tank in any way.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me! I'm not concerned with the current health of my tank, just want to be able to enjoy it in its full beauty more when I'm home!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20g long planted 7-8-18.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	865019  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unless you have particularly sensitive plants I'd say just go ahead and switch to your new lighting schedule tomorrow (or whatever day is most convenient to you). The plants won't be harmed by one weird extra long night and as long as the photoperiod is similar they will adjust very quickly. Right now I'm on a 3PM-10PM light schedule too (I reduced it by an hour because of algae growth and this is going better).

One thing to keep in mind with a lighting schedule like this is you'll want to reduce ambient sunlight that may fall on the tank. That does add to the overall lighting hours and can cause issues. I keep the blinds closed tightly on the tanks near windows.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I would shift by half an hour every day.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

Tags
advice needed, lighting 20g, schedule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode