Stocking advice needed for new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Abi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking advice needed for new tank

I’ve just bought a used tank, it’s 27” x 27” x 20” so a pretty square shape, I’ve only ever had long tanks before so not entirely sure what to do with it. I’d like some interesting fish, maybe a species only- I do like cichlids- but not sure if the tank is long enough? My water is pretty hard too so that’s something to factor in. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Central American cichlid species are more in line for keeping in hard water. Many of them get very large, however.
But, there are a handful of smaller, colorful varieties that would work, primarily any of the cichlids in the cryptoheros group (now amatitlania).
Cryptoheros nanoluteus is the smallest in the genus and very nicely colored.

Here is some info on c. nanoluteus from Simply Fish:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...os-nanoluteus/

Other fish that I would look to add with Cytoheroes are Rivulus, there are several species from Central America or you could do some of the beautiful sword-tails ( the smaller species) which are endemic as well. Here is some info on both.

Rivulus: From Boring to Beautiful | Details | Articles | TFH MagazineŽ
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....ish-swordtails

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Abi
Algae Grower

Ok thanks for info, will look into them. Are there any other Central American that would work? I calculate the tank to be about 63 is gallons so it’s not tiny by any means.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
That is an interesting tank size. I hope you have fun with it.

If you want something different, check out rippariums.

The foot print is certaintly large enough for a larger school of cories, Pandas are being my favorites. If they spawn, the babies are soo cute.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
My all time favorite fish might fit very well as they are a cichlid, so have many of the interesting things I like but they are also famous for living in crowded group settings like small puddles and NOT harming each other. They are also very tolerant of different water. Somewhat odd to find at times but they are one of the old mainstays in the hobby.
https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profil...cies.php?id=91
The neat thing about the rainbow cichlid is the way they interact when breeding as that allows for more than one breeding group in a tank. Some thought in setting the tank to allow for plenty of choices in breeding sites might make two pair of mated fish, paired with most any of the smaller fish types, fit your tank. They will do their best to protect new fry and the older may attempt to claim some of the other group but they will not fight to the point of damage!
The main problem is avoiding fish who are too rough on them.
"Grandfather" on the left, stopping by to check on the new "grandkids"? The young pair has the wigglers gathered in the small black blob below them and ready to defend but the big guy did not bother them!
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...6&d=1452357417

Last edited by PlantedRich; 07-09-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Abi
Algae Grower

Planted Rich, I can’t see your pics but I do like the look of the rainbow cichilds!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode