Need help with new planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Hello first time ever posting something on a forum, so if I do something wrong please let me know. Currently I am running a 20 gallon tank with CaribSea Eco Complete Black Planted Aquarium Substrate, Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 24-Inch, a 5lb CO2 bottle (set to 2 bubbles a second), a filter with a bio wheel, 4 silver tipped tetras, dwarf baby tears, a few Cambodia plants, and 2 other plants that I really don't know the name of. I have had this tank for about a month and a half.Today my silver tipped tetras are doing well (3 days in) and lively. I tested my water which is sitting at around 7.4 PH, little under .25ppm on ammonia, less than .25ppm for nitrites, and my nitrates are sitting around 5.0ppm. I have had them for about 3 days now and I am seeing them pearl a lot but after researching on posts it seems that it doesn't necessarily mean it is a good thing. My water is a little cloudy and on my substrate it seems that there is algae growing on it. Some of my plants don't seem like they are growing correctly, like on the dwarf baby tears I notice a little dark green on the edges of the petals. I am currently using seachem flourish, nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous as directed. I am not sure if my plants are thriving like they should, is there anything that I am missing? Or do I just need to play the waiting game until the tank balances out? Any tips that could help would be greatly appreciated. The pictures of my set up are located https://imgur.com/a/XJm4Ayk.

So I believe I found out what happened to my tank. Algae growth increased while my plants turned dark green, I am about 80% certain it was because I added too much potassium using the seachems potassium . I looked up all the symptoms and they seem to match perfectly. So what I will be doing is conducting water changes steadily to help lower the levels, will see what happens in a few days, will update yall on the progress!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-09-2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode