The Planted Tank Forum banner

How much does your tank grow in a week?

696 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cab395 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I thought it might be interesting to see how much everyone’s plants, especially stem plants, grow in a week. I’m starting my first Dutch type tank and still working out the balance. I might have too much light on top. I’m trying to guesstimate whether or not the growth I’m seeing is representative of what is achievable in a high light, high CO2 set up like mine.

If you have a before/after photo of your stem-plant-heavy, high tech tank with a week or two difference, I’d love to see it! It’ll help me decide whether or not to decrease my light. Thanks!

#5 ·
Wow, beautiful tanks for those that have posted pics! Thank you!

Yes, you're absolutely right. I know "stem plant" is such a huge category from the weed-like growers to the algae-collectors. I guess the main purpose of me making this thread was to be able to compare my tank to others. This being my first planted tank in which I'm still trying to achieve the balance (have had some fuzz algae on old growth despite 1.2-1.4 pH drop with CO2, EI dosing, and everything pearling like crazy), I find it really difficult to tell if my plants are growing at what would be considered a good rate. I did just add a bunch of new stems from a member on here and did some major pruning of the old bad-looking stuff, and the newer growth looks a bit better. Trying to shake this fuzz algae. Dosed 2x dose excel today (haven't done that before) and based off a photo I took yesterday to compare today, I do believe the fuzz algae is receding a bit. Maybe that will help. Now that the site is working again I might start a tank journal just to keep track of the progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.