Thinking about going back to tap? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thinking about going back to tap?

When I started I was on a well and was forced to switch to RO. After a whole lot of struggle I finally seem to have things stabilized. However I recently moved again, and my water came back surprisingly clean for the parameters I checked:
Ph-7.8
Nh-0
No2-0
No3-0
Kh-4
Gh-9
Po4-.25

I haven't checked iron as I don't trust my kit, and I didn't bother with calcium either. My current water is :
Ph-7
Kh-4
Gh-7

My only concern would be the pH. I figured if I do a few 25% over a week or so that should make the increase safe?

Also a few months back we were emailed that the water checked high for trihalomethanes, which after a surface Google skim doesn't sound too fun.

Anything else I should check? Does this seem like a good idea to you guys? I'm sick of lugging ro around and my new city doesn't have it readily available either. Making this switch would allow me to greatly expand my hobby. Thanks for the input!

New to the hobby, feel like ive really found something that can be a life long passion. I sincerely appreciate anyone taking the time to pass along any advice, and look forwards to being able to do that same. -DC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is there something specific that you want to do with the tank that some portion of the water is giving you doubts? From what I see, you might be pretty middle of the road on most things. Even the trihalomethanes are pretty much standard unless there is more to the story. Where did you get the info that they are in the water? Seems there may be some bit of scare story going around unless it is a really honest group as one of the results of chlorine treatment is a certain level of things we would rather not have. One of the reasons for switching to chloramine treatment is that it does reduce these bad points. We get to choose what level of what risk we want to ignore as there is no perfect answer, so most places do choose to have the safer alternate of treated water, even if it does induce some risk. We do know that lots of people do die from drinking polluted water so maybe a few getting cancer someday is what we have to call acceptable risk.
Even drinking water from plastic bottles does have some level of risk.
Got any special concerns?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really was just concerned about the trihalomethanes, hadn't heard of it before. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything, because the last thing I want to do is spend another 6-12 months working out my tank. The parameters in the tap are pretty much what I was mixing ro at, the only difference being ph. I figured if I do that gradually everyone should be fine.

Was just double-checking more than anything. If I can make this work I can finally set up a small rack. The goal being some basic guppy breeding and plant growing, as well as a turtle tank. Plus I'd be able to clean them much better if I don't have to ration water lol.

New to the hobby, feel like ive really found something that can be a life long passion. I sincerely appreciate anyone taking the time to pass along any advice, and look forwards to being able to do that same. -DC

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like a plan! Always good to do some checking when we are wading into things. The downside of chlorine treatment is one of those things that we kind of have to accept as a balance between evil and really, really, obvious evil! Not one to talk about too much as it is solid science but lots of folks never hear of the true facts and when they do it shocks them so bad they want to blow up the whole system.
I once dealt with treating the water for a small community well and we passed out the required water reports. Boy, that was a bummer when the next meeting came around and there was a question about "total turbidity". In my less than thinking way and knowing folks were not really into high tech, I answered that it was the amount of dirt/mud in the water. From there it went downhill real fast as she let me know that our water was in pipes, not in the ground!!!
When you use well water, there are a few details missing for some folks!
I learned a great deal of patience and it does serve me well when things don't go right in the tank. Just keep banging my head and hope it works out!
Enjoy the trip[.
The Dude1 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hit the nail on the head. The EPA has extremely rigid regulations about water quality. To sum it up normally after a very bad storm they will send out a warning specifically stating that water may not be safe for aquatic organisms.. more towards marine organisms though. Treat the water with Prime and you're fine. Worst case you could fill up a container the day before and let it off gas for 24 hours.. but for those types of animals it's totally unnecessary. I did a 50 page research paper in a graduate level micro lab course on water testing after a 6 week long test. The things that they test and treat for would boggle your mind (at least it did mine). If you were keeping SPS coral that would be a different story. People's perception of clean water perpetuated by some of these activist groups and the reality are vastly different. Did you know that EVERYTIME you go out in the sun dimers are formed in your DNA which may or may not be repaired by several different mechanisms in the body. Some will not be repaired. In a few to many years you will absolutely develop cancer from these mutations. EVERY SINGLE TIME

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have gradually developed a totally different thinking than when I first started. I started with the idea that I could work hard enough, learn enough of the rules and really grit it out to have perfect water for perfect fish! Wrong! I finally found that there is no perfect! Fish live in all kinds of water in all kinds of temp, PH, and all the other things we can measure, so that left me to be far more forgiven when I don't get the water right. I also find it much, much less stress to simply keep the tap I have and it certainly works out cheaper and easier for me to find the plants and fish which work in what I have, rather than do the neverending fight to get to "perfect". There are plants that work and plants that I don't try for long! I buy a few plants that seem to not want to get with the program and they get pitched. That'a small loss compared to buying most of the items needed to get perfect water. Since I see plants growing in the water in every country and every place that I go, it finally hit me that there are plants and fish for every place on earth so why not just use what I have? Plants grow and flourish in the super hard alkaline water of springs, whether it is Florida or Texas, so I go with those that work and let the others go to the trash if they don't shape up!
You want perfect? More likely you will get that perfect ulcer!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode