New aquarium...no fish. Help with suggestions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New aquarium...no fish. Help with suggestions.

Hi! So I got a new aquarium and set it up with some black sand and some rocks; a couple moss balls and 2 plants which I don't know what they are. It's this 20 gallon aquarium/filter - https://www.aqueon.com/products/aqua...eless-led-kits

So I bought it for my new office. Was all set to get some fish when someone found a policy for our business which says "no pets" including fish; so I'm unable to have fish! Nooo! It made me upset, but even moreso, this tank and the rocks and such are not returnable to the pet store so I'm out over $200…I tried to see if I could sell used to someone, but no one seems interested on craigslist or facebook market yet. So I thought…it looks nice; why don't I keep it and just have plants! This is why I'm here, help me figure out how to do this. I'm still not 100% sure I won't just pack it up since seeing it will remind me of the lack of fish…but we'll see.

I (hopefully) included a picture of what I have so far. But here's my questions:

1) Do I need to keep the filter running?

2) How often/how much water changes should I do for just plants?

3) Any suggestions of freshwater plants and/or flowers maybe I could add?

4) Anything else you think I should know.

Thanks!!

-Jason

Last edited by Jason Curtis; 07-06-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: trying to add picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Too bad about the policy on fish but that doesn't mean it can't be fun.
LED may be kind of low level when they come in a kit so I might look to low light plants and then try running some of them up and out of the water, maybe? Java fern is good for me but there are lots of options there. Yes, filter is needed as there will still be plenty of debris and we do not want a stagnant pond on the desk! If there is a friendly sort in the group, maybe a quiet question about shrimp? Not sure of the motive for the policy but there may be a breaking point on what is a pet and shrimp might be an option. I certainly agree with no dogs, cats, etc in the office but then shrimp are pretty low grade hazards?
As far as I know, they have never taken a dump in the office floor!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What kind of shrimp/how many would you recommend? Also; would they live off the plants or do I need to suplement with additional food?

-Jason

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Algae Grower

Hi,

Welcome to the Planted Tank Forum.

That looks like a nice setup.

First of all, you'll need a better light to grow aquarium plants.
(The plant on the left with the light green leaves is called Water Sprite. Can't see the one on the right to be able to identify it)
Your local fish store will probably have an aquarium light for plants. If you want to purchase the light from a local fish store, you can list the brand and model here so we can tell you which light to purchase.

You will need to keep the filter running. Perform 20 - 25% water changes once a week, using dechlorinated water.

The type of shrimp I would recommend is Cherry Red Shrimp. You could probably do about 10 or more in this tank. They are very small and colorful.

Once you have a better light, you will need to dose some fertilizer into the tank. I recommend Seachem Flourish Root Tabs. Use few for an aquarium this size.

For liquid fertilizer, as this is a low tech tank, I would start out with Seachem brand. Flourish Comprehensive, Flourish Excel, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Potassium, and Flourish Phosphorus will be good fertilizers for this tank.

Cherry Red Shrimp will not just live off the plants. Your LFS should sell some foods specifically prepared for them.

Some plants good for this aquarium (once you have the fertilizer and lights) would be Anubias, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne spp., and Vallisneria.

~ iMacg3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by iMacg3; 07-09-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Typo.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice. Those plant suggestions look great. Especially the Vallisneria and Java.

-Jason

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode