Scape feedback? Maybe journal soon? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Scape feedback? Maybe journal soon?

So my 55 has been my pride and joy, but tonight I did some rescape work on my 29 gallon. Its established with some dense mini dwarf hairgrass so I tried to take advantage of that.

I'll get a better picture tomorrow when everything settles, but would love some feedback on the first take of this rescape. In general I love the scapes that have the open carpet area, with an island that can get a little jungle like. That is what I am targeting here.

If this takes off I may start a journal on it also.

Stocking-

18(ish)- Cherry Barbs
4- otocinclus
3- apistogramma steel blue
5- fancy guppies

Here is what I have so far!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
The hair grass looks great and I think it would make a nice contrast to an island with lots of growth. I would love to see this progress.

[
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for for the feedback. I am anxiously awaiting my photoperoid to start on the tank today to get a cleaner picture!

|

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

need larger hardscape. The white stone could work too, but arranged differently - how, I'm not sure.
Also some variety in plants. It's mostly just grassy right now.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What's your plan to keep the algae off these rocks?

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
What's your plan to keep the algae off these rocks?
Thinking same plan as my 55 gallon; not worry about it too much, as the light algae on the rocks, for my tastes, looks pretty good (just keep it off the plants!).
@swarley As far as bigger scape, the 29 gallon is tough being only 12 inches deep (front to back). I do have a larger piece of driftwood but its longer too. Are you thinking higher on the right side?

Also I agree with the plants. Just working hardscape right now and used plants I had on hand last night.

|

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Grobbins48 Just larger in general yea. You could get it taller on the right side and go for a triangular scape. Really depends on what you have on hand or what you can buy locally etc.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Getting there

|

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If that's all the scaping mats you have, I would try and prop the wood up so it's pointing/sloping up instead of resting on the other rocks. Keep on fiddling with it.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have another piece of wood, but it is rather large and not sure what to do with it.

I'll keep messing around and posting. For reference, here is what the other piece looks like in the tank.

mbkemp likes this.

|

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:00 AM
Algae Grower

Scape feedback? Maybe journal soon?

I kinda dig that first pic placement of the wood, as it looks pretty cool reaching out across the tank. More so than the last too because the smaller piece comes out towards the foreground.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes. Use that big piece in there! None of it really has me fully satisfied but you've got some decent scapes there and likely something great if you keep at it. I like the first and the 2nd to last one. With the way the plants are now etc, a triangular scape seems well-suited. If you don't have a lid or aren't committed to having a lid, you could have one of the wood pieces more vertical or sloped upwards and have a bit poke out if you need/want it to.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:33 AM
Algae Grower

Carpet looks nice. Bigger driftwood certainly helps. I am kinda trying to sum up what others have mentioned in here. That island u wish on the right would certainly look better if slightly more elevated with slope going left and towards the front. Will give u more depth. White rocks look a little out of place if u r going for a nature scape. And I would definitely recommend growth or even wood extending beyond water surface on the right side. And u can do away with the smaller d wood in this scape.. but great effort though. I am sure it will be a beauty. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank for the feedback everyone, this is very helpful. I might try and get some more sand to build the right side up a bit. As for the rocks, I'll keep an eye out, but I figured they would get some algae and look a bit better. I do wish they had more texture though, some harder lines.

I have a lid on it, but once I have the slope of extra sand maybe thay will help a few other layouts.

The only think that can't move is the carpet of DHG, everything else can shift.

|

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

New direction. New landscaping rocks, not as dark as I would like, but better. Also 25lbs or so more of sand. How it sits now:

And other attempts:

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode