Can I add shrimp to my 3.5 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Short explanation:
Basically, I have a 3.5 gallon tank with a betta inside and algae is a problem. My betta hates the chemical treatments and I hate cleaning the tank every couple of days to remove the algae. Do I have enough room to add one or two shrimp to keep the algae population down? I love ghost and grass shrimp, so those are my top picks, but any shrimp would be fine honestly. I also included a photo of the tank for reference!
Extra Long Explanation because my highschool essay brain hasn't shut down yet:
I have a veiltail betta in a 3.5 gallon tank, but it's on a windowsill, so algae is becoming a pretty annoying problem. I'm wondering if I can add one or two shrimp (ghost shrimp preferably, but any others would be fine if you suggest otherwise) to help control the algae problem. I have tried using chemical treatment, but my betta seems to hate it and ends up glass surfing whenever I put it in. He's never acted super aggressive towards other fish and was even in a community tank at the pet store where I bought him. I have included a photo of the tank below for reference. It's in sort of a "half-moon" shape. I'm also hoping to add in a couple more hiding places for my betta, but most fake plants look super fake and most rocks at the pet store were super sharp! He's already ripped his fins on the silk plants (yes, the silk plants. I removed the one that was the likely culprit and he hasn't harmed himself since). Anyone got any ideas for this tank? Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6369_1530215217217.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	864847  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
So, to address the algae, I'd simply relocate the tank away from the window. Shrimp and bettas can be hit and miss - some betta do fine with them, others will make a quick snack out of shrimp. If you want shrimp, your best bet is to get something that's already large, but these frequently don't transition as well as juveniles. You could grab a couple mature Amano shrimp, but I'd save the money and move the tank away from the window.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
So, to address the algae, I'd simply relocate the tank away from the window. Shrimp and bettas can be hit and miss - some betta do fine with them, others will make a quick snack out of shrimp. If you want shrimp, your best bet is to get something that's already large, but these frequently don't transition as well as juveniles. You could grab a couple mature Amano shrimp, but I'd save the money and move the tank away from the window.
I could attampt to move it, but it would be very difficult. I did add the backdrop to decrease the amount of sunlight, and that helped a bit. I'll see if I can find a place for it, but my room is very crowded. But I will see what I can do! I do have a backup plan if things go haywire though. I have a five gallon tank with a different betta and a small, female Africa dwarf frog inside. I have a spare tank for the frog, so I would be able to switch out the shrimp and the frog with ease.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting that your betta has such an adverse reaction to antialgals. Can I ask what the chemical was and the dosage? And by glass surfing do you mean that he jumped? Have you tried using hydrogen peroxide?

Ghost/glass shrimp aren't really herbivores, but would do a good job at cleaning up anything your betta doesn't eat, which might lead to algae problems due to elevated nutrient levels. Shrimp that might work depending on the algae would be cherry shrimp, amano, and pinnochio shrimp. However bettas tend to go after shrimp...

Instead of adding shrimp, why not consider a nerite or two? They're small enough to fit in a 3.5, and are guaranteed algae eaters. Those or ramshorns might work better.

What type of algae do you have? String? Diatoms? green spot? green algae?

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 AM

I had a problem with algae too. (Mostly diatoms). First I got a plexiglass and it ate it all in one night! But, a pleco would be way too big for your tank. But, maybe a type of cat fish or algae eater would do the trick. After my pleco died, I added achinease algae eater and he ate almost as much and didnít grow more than five inches and itís been a year. So maybe that would work. I would switch to your 5 gallon if you wanted to do this though. If you canít get one of these fish, maybe consider trying different chemicals that would make your beta more comfortable.

I also want to say that it auto corrected pleco to plexiglass!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-29-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Algae Grower

Adding some live plants should help with algae, even some moss would be nice and the shrimp would love it. Also, dosing Excel can help with algae. Added benefit of being good for any live plants!

Underwater gardening!?! Where have you been all my life?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode