So far out of balance - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So far out of balance

I am unsure as to what my specific problem or problems may be.

In short my water quickly go green and cloudy. I understand that I have either a light or fertilizer imbalance, at min.

My water ends up being very similar to straight from the tap.

Tap: PH 7.4-7.6 Tank: Ph 8
Nitrites and Nitrates: beginning of spectrum no fish, Both tap and tank
Ammonia, again almost none. both tap and tank
GH 11 drops - KH 0 Drops both tap and tank.
I live in KY and I assume the water is heavily treated.

I have read that water with a 0 KH ( never turns blue almost immediately yellow(orange) ) means that my water does not absorb minerals well.

I have already read a few ways to increase this naturally, of which I prefer, though they would end up raising my ph at the same time. This sucks as my PH is higher than I would like it. I would prefer low 7 or high 6.

I would appreciate some advice as how help balance out my tank. I understand that is an open question. I also ended up buying a UV sterilizer and that has been hooked up for 4 days, without any noticeable difference in my green algae water. I have even kept my lights off. I do get some indirect ambient light from the tank being in my living room.

thanks for any information.

I've jumped into the deep end. ( 1st planted tank flooded 4-15-18 ) - Dirted with sand cap - Very messy when water was added.
75 Gal, Fresh Fluval Plant 48" Bluetooth. Co2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't solve All of your issues, but I can advise getting some filter floss for your filter to physically strain out the algae that you're seeing in your water making it green.

You can either buy filter floss from an aquarium store for a small fortune or goto any store that has Sewing crafts and get a bag of polyfill - same stuff, different use and name. It's all just 100% polyester filler for pillows and stuffed animals and.....aquarium filters. Just rinse it before stuffing it in the filter.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Algae Grower

not sure what you mean by beginning of spectrum for nitrite and nitrates but if you mean close to 0 on the test kit then your tank isn't cycled and you're problem is probably algae or bacterial bloom. once your tank is fully cycled then the discoloration should clear up. as for kh and gh, if you're happy with your pH then don't mess with anything else. if you see problems with your plants and fish related to mineral deficiency then start treating the gh/kh

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have yet to put fish in the tank as I was hoping to find a nice fertilizer light CO2 balance before adding in any fish. I have been having to do drastic water changes in order to clear out the water. I assumed I could do all of this prior to fish, prior starting the ammonia cycle.

When I re-scaped the tank I cleaned out my canister filter and changed all of the medium, since I don't have any fish I wasn't worried about keeping the medium. I have had algae bloom since then and I do realize that I my filter medium is probably at least all light green. I was hoping the UV filter would be of assistance eventually moving that out.

I do wish to keep some algae for algae eaters though I would also like to see a clear tank as well.

I've jumped into the deep end. ( 1st planted tank flooded 4-15-18 ) - Dirted with sand cap - Very messy when water was added.
75 Gal, Fresh Fluval Plant 48" Bluetooth. Co2
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:00 AM
Algae Grower

trying to fight a bacterial bloom before a cycle is tough. the bacteria that cause the bloom reproduce very quickly so even a large water change will be ineffective. once you begin your cycle and start getting nitrifying bacteria growing they'll out compete the bacteria causing the bloom and you'll have a clear tank. most tanks that I've set up started out really cloudy up until I had my cycle completed. since then I haven't had cloudy water

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode