Need help ASAP please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help ASAP please

I have a 75 Gal. Planted tank i used organic dirt and sand as a cap. I have jungle val, dwarf sag, and some amazon swords i had more but they died. I have 4 cfl lights each is a 100w equivilant. My plants are suffering from root rot and the tank has algae that i cant shake. I have cut lights back to 6 and a half hours a day, and all of the water peramiters are good. I have been unable to fix this for the past few months. I have tried releasing gas in the substrate thinking it may be anaerobic conditions but it didnt help. Can anyone help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My hunch is not enough light. That sounds like very little light for a 75 gallon tank. Pictures would help a lot as well. No water ferts? Water change/maintenance schedule? Need much more detail about the tank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarley View Post
My hunch is not enough light. That sounds like very little light for a 75 gallon tank. Pictures would help a lot as well. No water ferts? Water change/maintenance schedule? Need much more detail about the tank.
I have dosed flourish before but had no luck with it, i do water changes once a week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180208_195404_1529897256291.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	864473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180618_154245_1529897279614.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	864481  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

What type of cheaper led light would you recomend i need a 48 inch any ideas
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

what percent water change? Flourish doesn't really count as ferts, despite it's label and marketing.
For an LED light, Beamswork DA Fspec seems to be a favorite amongst many on the forum as well as in my local community. Has good par value for the money, and grows plants. The 75 gallon tanks generally are fairly deep too so decent light tends to be more important to have. I'd do two Beamswork for your tank. It's not heavily planted so one strip in the center could do just fine too.
For ferts, you probably need to dose just a little to make sure the tank has all the Macros and Micros. The plants aren't very demanding and you have little so, not like you need to dose that heavily. I would recommend and all-in-one fert for you to make it simple and it should help the plants. Even with dirt/aquasoil, you still want to fert a bit, though you could certainly get away with not in some cases. I'd tackle the lighting first and see if it doesn't improve in 2+ weeks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

You have a low-tech setup (no CO2). If you pour light on it, you will get an algae farm. You should focus upon PAR and PUR values when looking at light. PAR is total light and PUR is the useful red and blue part that plants use. With no CO2, you should keep PAR below about 35 at the substrate. I assume that this is about 16” below your surface. I have no idea what your current lights are transmitting but, while they may appear bright, they may have little PUR (useful to plants) light. It may be possible to have plants that need high light and the Beamswork is a good light with good PUR values, but the light is too bright for a low-tech setup. You can buy a dimmer for it and then dim it down by about 60%. Take a look at these threads:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...-pur-data.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ead-watts.html

The best way to minimize algae is with healthy and plentiful plants. You don’t have enough plant mass, yet, to help much with algae reduction. Also, look up the needs of your specific plants for light. For example; if you have a plant that needs high light, you won’t be able to deliver it without CO2 injection. So, that plant may not be able to grow as well as it should. If you try to deliver high light, without injecting CO2, you will get that algae farm I mentioned.

Although you say your params are good, it might be helpful to post them. Ideally, it would be good to know your NO3, PO4 and GH levels. Also, what are you dosing and how frequently? How often and what percent are your water changes? How often do you clean your filter? Do you have good water circulation and is your surface being rippled?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode