1Likes
  • 1 Post By ENG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
ENG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Revamp an old plated tank.

Hello. New user here. My names Josiah. I own a Pest Control company here in Florida (ENG Pest Control hence the user name). My brief introduction for my first post.

I have had a 75g planted tank set up for almost 8 years now. It is time do do a revamp and I am very out of the loop for current tech.

Not too worried about money but I am not wasteful.

Currently running --- What I am looking for

2x 110 aqua clear 110's --- Looking to upgrade to a quality canister filter.

Over head light 2x t5 6700 (48") --- Either a new t5 set up or led's unfortunately I have no clue how to select leds (like the idea of leds)

I stopped injecting Co2 almost a year ago now as I was having a hard time finding time to fill tanks as my local place closed down. I want to inject Co2 again.
1. Is it normal to use up a five pound tank in 2-3 weeks
2. Should I invest in a 20 or 50lb tank
3. What is the best place to purchase Co2 accessories as id like to buy new lines, diffusers etc.

Lastly if anyone has any input on new equipment that wasn't standard 8 years ago id like to take a look.

Thank's for you time
Josiah Engren
Greggz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG View Post
Hello. New user here. My names Josiah. I own a Pest Control company here in Florida (ENG Pest Control hence the user name). My brief introduction for my first post.

I have had a 75g planted tank set up for almost 8 years now. It is time do do a revamp and I am very out of the loop for current tech.

Not too worried about money but I am not wasteful.

Currently running --- What I am looking for

2x 110 aqua clear 110's --- Looking to upgrade to a quality canister filter.

Over head light 2x t5 6700 (48") --- Either a new t5 set up or led's unfortunately I have no clue how to select leds (like the idea of leds)

I stopped injecting Co2 almost a year ago now as I was having a hard time finding time to fill tanks as my local place closed down. I want to inject Co2 again.
2. Should I invest in a 20 or 50lb tank
3. What is the best place to purchase Co2 accessories as id like to buy new lines, diffusers etc.

Lastly if anyone has any input on new equipment that wasn't standard 8 years ago id like to take a look.

Thank's for you time
Josiah Engren
Welcome to the forum!

I can't say how much CO2 you're going to use in a 75G, but a 5lb lasts close to 5 months for my 20G at pretty heavy injection rates (at 13-14 hour periods). As injection rates vary wildly depending on how you're going about it, it's hard to say whether you have a leak, you're injecting in a horribly inefficient manner, or you really are using that. Having said all that, 2-3 weeks do seem a little on the low side. As for finding a place to fill, see if you can find a beer keg place in addition to the usual industrial gas and soda co2 supply places. They'd happily fill your tanks all the same as for the kegerator guys. I feel a 20 or 50lb tank could be a convenience if you don't want to keep running for refills and much cheaper as filling a 20 is much less than 4x the price of filling a 5, but it's also that much a bigger tank to hide if you have to so take that into consideration. You can't run the tank sideways so that's another limiting factor.

CO2 supplies can be found in a myriad of online shops/fleabay/amazon/other members. If you're going into co2 reactors, you'll even find yourself visiting the hardware store for parts.

Lighting, ehh, I, well, I guess it also sort of depends on what plants you plan on getting. If you're getting easy plants, no reason why your existing lights won't work. There's also a recent topic for a return to T5HO lights for better results with redder plants. But regardless, lighting is probably something you can spend a while looking into or even starting a different topic for in the lighting forums. Just remember, too much light = algae! So whatever you get, think of a way of being able to reduce it! If it's undimmable T5HOs, consider floaters, raising, adding screens, that sort of thing.

Hmm, what's new in the last 8 years? I think a lot more people have learned about fertilizing the water column for best results. If you weren't paying attention, I'd look into EI and/or PPS-Pro fertilizing regimens.

There's probably a ton of things that popped up in the recent years.

I'd just go spend some time here to catch up: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

That is a nice site created by a plantedtank member who turned pro. It has a nice collection of most of the useful and relevant forum wisdom in one compact place.

Have fun and good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
On a 75gal.. Not in my book..

Well your light is lowish as it is but certainly useable for most things.
As to LED, I'll throw in a heretics approach:
Match current watts w/ LED.
It REALLY is more complicated than that but it will move you into what the cost curve is going to..

Like 2 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Aqu...749107528&th=1

Each is approx 60w, each is $65....
"May" be able to get away w/ 1
1 for med light restricted slightly front/back coverage (upper inches).. 2 for high light, good coverage f/b.
Next fancy upgrade example
3 of these:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/ai...SABEgKMafD_BwE
May be able to get away w/ 2
Adj. from low to high light.

That's about the average range.
Many falling in-between these 2 w/ the top end being Radion XR15 FW ($300 each, need more than one), Orphek Atlantic v4 ($1000-ish).

Bettr question is what do you want th light to "do" and what "looks" best to you..

Plants, they just love visible light photons..more the better, for the most part.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-25-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
ENG
Algae Grower

I kind of figured that was a bit quick to go thorough a co2 tank. I cant for the life of me find a leak...

LEDs seem great and all but I see more negative posts than positive. My current fixture is just old and needs an upgrade doesn't run as smoothly as it once did and there are stain on the reflectors that I cannot get out. I have been looking for a 3 light t5HO with individual switches so I can run one light for a few hours in the middle of the day. Does not seem to be thing though... Id love to grow baby tears again hence why I am looking at figuring out my Co2 situation and upgrading the lights I lost my HC about 3 years ago. very sad... lol

As for the filtration system I Like these https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Profess...865107885&th=1

Not sure if I should go with the 450 or 600
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I highly recommend a twenty pound tank for a 75 due to several points. One is the price of refills. The charge is more for the time/labor to refill it than the actual gas. For 5,10, and 20 pound, I pay near $10, 12, and 14 respectively for those sizes so going bigger is far cheaper. Fifty would be out for me due to weight and I have to haul it in a car! But the bigger tank doe save vast amounts of time and effort to disconnect, haul and redo which is a point that can often bite usif we are sleeping. Each time we disconnect and redo, we run far higher risk of breaking small parts or leaving a leak. Time, effort and hazards involved drives me to the largest practical sizes for my tanks and a 75 does eat some CO2.
Second point is that it is not JUST a factor of how much we are adding but also how much is used and how much is lost out the top. Efficient diffusion helps this, so I advise doing a bit extra to go with a canister filter and an inline Grigg's style reactor. Piece of cake for a guy if you can cut and glue PVC? When a design is so good it becomes almost a "standard" in the hobby, I don't risk messing it up with mods . If the designer did it the hard way, I fiure he had a real reason and pulling the tubing through an undersized hole works very well. This is my "bible" for how and I do not advise changing any of the small details like how and where the CO2 enters:
How To Build A CO2 Reactor | Build a Regulator | Test Kit
For filters, The Eheim 2075 is great for a 75 but pricey. I am also finding value in the Sunsun HW-304B for 75's. I handle things gently and they hold up well for me.
Good hunting and remember it is not meant to be anything but fun, so take a minute to enjoy the trip, even with a few bumps in the road!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
ENG
Algae Grower

I purchased this reactor https://www.amazon.com/Sera-Flore-Ac...834158c0a06de0

I also purchased the hydor 450 in addition to some other knickknacks. After years of purchasing a tank almost every month I realize my diffuser might have been wasting a TON of co2...

Im excited to see the new filter and this reactor I bought. I just refilled my 5lb and got pricing of under 200 for a 20lb and under 250 for 50lb so I see this being a purchase in the future.

anyone have any opionion on this...; https://www.amazon.com/Sera-Flore-Ac...834158c0a06de0 ???
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
ENG
Algae Grower

Just had a thought. Would an inline diffuser work with a reactor or against? trying to get the most out of my co2 is all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode