EcoSphere Closed Ecosystem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
EcoSphere Closed Ecosystem

Has anyone ever heard of this or have one?

Looks very cool but seems to good to be true, esp with shrimp?

http://www.eco-sphere.com/about.html

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(tore down)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I've seen those with some opae'ula in there. Just seems to be kinda mean to leave a shrimp, or any kind of fauna in such a tight spot.

Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I got my mom one of these as a christmas present oh, say 7 years ago. It was still doing just fine until about a year ago- she knocked it off the windowsill at her kitchen sink and it broke. She put the contents in to a jar with fresh tap water, put the lid on tight, and it is still doing fine! There was originally 2 shrimp, but she lost one during the accident. But I swear that the last time I saw it the one shrimp was still doing fine! Fairly impressive, if you ask me.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Oh and a funny thing from the time I purchased it: I saw an older gentleman looking at them and he seemed a bit confused. I then realized that he must of thought they were snowglobes or something as he picked one up and shook it! I took one from the back of the stack that had not been shaken....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Planted Member

how does this work?????

EHEIM PIMP #454

55G DISCUS BREEDER TANK

COMING SOON 7G FLUVAL EBI / SELECTIVE BREEDING TANK
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Planted Member

I haven't seen on of these in a long time. They use to sell them in museum stores or placed like Sharper Image. I never got one because they were so expensive.

They are legit and are supposed to last a long time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its a very cool concept and I kind of want one but dont really want the smaller ones.

Im def not paying close to $500 for the bigger one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentZ View Post
Oh and a funny thing from the time I purchased it: I saw an older gentleman looking at them and he seemed a bit confused. I then realized that he must of thought they were snowglobes or something as he picked one up and shook it! I took one from the back of the stack that had not been shaken....
This is funny.

I can see someone doing that too

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

(tore down)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I remember REALLY wanting one of these as a kid. I might even get one for my desk . . .

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
I remember REALLY wanting one of these as a kid. I might even get one for my desk . . .
Just a question before you do... How do you feel about the bettas that are sold and kept in tiny cups? I don't see much difference between that and these ecospheres.

They use the Opae'ula shrimp for a reason, they are the only species that can survive these conditions. The shrimp are extremophiles, and can survive on little food and toxic water conditions. But surviving and thriving are two different matters. A betta can survive in a dirty cup, but it's certainly not going to be happy. I imagine the shrimp in these feel the same way. I've read reports of the shrimp actually shrinking when they molt, due to the lack of food. The Opae'ula have a lifespan of up to 20 years. Reconcile that with the 1-3 years these guys live in the spheres.

I would expect people of this forum to have a little more common sense in regards to these things... We as a group should understand exactly what is required for a self-sustaining eco-system, and see clearly that these things don't have what's required.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indignation View Post
Just a question before you do... How do you feel about the bettas that are sold and kept in tiny cups? I don't see much difference between that and these ecospheres.

They use the Opae'ula shrimp for a reason, they are the only species that can survive these conditions. The shrimp are extremophiles, and can survive on little food and toxic water conditions. But surviving and thriving are two different matters. A betta can survive in a dirty cup, but it's certainly not going to be happy. I imagine the shrimp in these feel the same way. I've read reports of the shrimp actually shrinking when they molt, due to the lack of food. The Opae'ula have a lifespan of up to 20 years. Reconcile that with the 1-3 years these guys live in the spheres.

I would expect people of this forum to have a little more common sense in regards to these things... We as a group should understand exactly what is required for a self-sustaining eco-system, and see clearly that these things don't have what's required.
i did not know that, very well said, if thats the case it pretty damn cruel

EHEIM PIMP #454

55G DISCUS BREEDER TANK

COMING SOON 7G FLUVAL EBI / SELECTIVE BREEDING TANK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode