Pulse Survey- Do you use 'glut' products? - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pulse Survey- Do you use 'glut' products?

Looking to understand who uses products such as Excel or Metracide for the glutaraldehyde and its algicide properties.

This is not ment to be a replacement for routine maintenance, correct water parameters, etc. I suppose I am trying to gauge how many people use these products, why you use them (or do not use them, really want input from all), what is the setup you are using it with, and results/ side effects you have witnessed.

More details and pictures always help the discussion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When I started out, I used Glut. After gaining more experience, and getting things in better balance, I stopped dosing. At that point, really saw no benefits.

I'm not against it, and if I thought it made things better I would use it. But IMO if you get enough other things going right, I really don't think it makes much difference.
mgeorges and mgeorges like this.

---
---
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:57 AM
Planted Member

I still consider myself starting out and so use Excel. I also have a low tech tank so my only source of carbon is this product. I don't use it for algaecide purposes.

My setup is a 40b with mineralized soil with PFS cap. Filtration is a Sunsun 304 and Aquatop 40 hang on filter. Lighting is an Aquatic Edge LED and Fluval Aquasky LED. Plants consist of various swords, crypts, buces, java ferns, and some easy stems. Fish are neon tetras, glow light tetras, and cherry barbs. A few amano shrimp. I don't have any vals as I hear they don't do well with Excel. My dosing is 10ml every other day of Excel and 3x a week of Thrive.

FTS from June 16

40 breeder tank:

20 gallon long (retired):

20 gallon high (retired):

Last edited by Aframomum; 06-20-2018 at 01:57 AM. Reason: correct spelling

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use Excel exclusively in my low tech 10 gallon tank these days. In my high tech shrimp tech I was using it and my Blyxa was melting VERY badly with no recovery. It bears mentioning that this is a 10 gallon tank with the vast majority of the plant mass being Blyxa, so not much competition for glut beyond the blyxa. I was primarily using it to fight cyanobacteria. Don't do that....use erythromycin.
In my 29 gallon, I keep several glut sensitive plants so I have stopped dosing any glut in that tank.
I agree with Greggz, as I've become more experienced and learned to control algae through other means, glut has become a nonessential tool in my arsenal with the exception being my sons 10 gallon. Still have tons to learn, and I have nothing against glut... other than it melting my Blyxa...I just don't find it necessary these days.
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't use it. I have small tanks. I use CO2 on my 2.6g. Have considered it for my 3.7g, but have vals and read it melts them.
So far so good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
I dosed metricide full strength at 2x Seachem's daily recommended dose, which equals about 3x Excel. Did this for about a year on my first tank before going to real CO2. I found it to be a good middle ground between real co2 and none at all. It definitely made a big difference in plants. Fish included common tetras, guppies and otos. They all did fine.

Ive never used it much for an algaecide except for spot dosing.

My experience with Vals it will definitely melt vals that arent used to it. But while they are melting (it happens slowly from the top down) new growth comes in that's adapted to it and the plant does fine after the initial melt. This was corkscrew vals, never tried it with other varieties

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use it on my large high light C02 injected tanks. 9ml daily in the 2 75 gallons and 12ml daily in the 150. Only for algaecide properties. Once I get everything back in balance I will stop. A substantial decrease in plant mass in my 75 gallon rainbow tank led to some problems. I could probably stop on the other 2, but with mostly anubias, ferns, and buce it helps keep algae from sneaking onto leaves

Twin high tech 75's -
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use it in my low tech tank, 10mL in a 90 gal and on my high tech tank at 3mL in a 30 gal.

I only use it in the high tech tank because I have an extra slot in the auto doser and because I have tons of metricide laying around. When it runs out I doubt I'll continue to use it on the higher tech tank.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Planted Member

Grob...

For me, this falls under the category of chemicals to avoid. I can't see putting a chemical into my tank's water that's
used to sterilize medical tools.

M

"The fish keeping hobby is very simple. Just change out a lot of water, a lot of the time!"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiTankGuy View Post
Grob...

For me, this falls under the category of chemicals to avoid. I can't see putting a chemical into my tank's water that's
used to sterilize medical tools.

M
This thought process comes from a lack of understanding of what glut is and how it is used by plants.
Ammonia is a disinfectant and used as a cleaning agent, yet many of us use it to cycle our tanks.

Chemicals can have many, many different uses.
MCFC and MCFC like this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use metricide to spot treat algae on some plants, I do not dose it daily in any tanks. I've never seen it kill one of my fish or shrimp, but maybe a snail here or there?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
This thought process comes from a lack of understanding of what glut is and how it is used by plants.
Ammonia is a disinfectant and used as a cleaning agent, yet many of us use it to cycle our tanks.

Chemicals can have many, many different uses.

MCFC and MCFC like this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

10ml/ Met14 per 55gal.. 3 weeks for an experiment (long story).
no fish deaths, no Nerites or garbage snail deaths besides usual attrition. (w/ or w/out glut)..
Platys birthed many fry all (or most I suppose is more correct) survived and healthy.
Would be concerned with this level w/ egg layers.

May have melted one plant (species ?? but a very slow growing dwarfish sword type thing).
Hard to tell, that one's been sensitive to a lot of things.

Not a recommended level for that long of a time.. but I still highly recommend it for emergency algeacide treatment and occasional prophylactic measure.
"Normal" dosing levels are much less effective (as to boarder on useless in an emergency situation).

Long term effects on fish??? but suspect most will have something else kill them first..

As to CO2 substitute.. never used it for that except if one of the regs/systems go down.
Never noticed any plusses or minuses for short term use.

Many have dosed on much higher levels 1ml/gal Met14 and tanks lived to tell the tale..

There is no decent "science" (in aquariums)regarding the effects besides the current papers about general toxicity levels to various "groups" in water supplies.
Lets just say I've read a lot worse about other chemicals.

I'll close w/ saying it is a relatively toxic (skin sensitivity) chemical and needs to be treated as such..(just a disclaimer.. )
Ecological "persistence" is extremely low..

Keep in mind this is from a "Producer"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...n7C2vtIQ3-Q5Eu

better:
Quote:
Glutaraldehyde is not expected to bioaccumulate in aquatic or terrestrial organisms based
on the low log octanol/water partition coefficient (-0.33, -0.36). Taken into account the
low bioaccumulation potential and ready biodegradation there is no need to further
testing or risk assessment of secondary poisoning.
Quote:
Body tissues: waived (BASF, Dow) It is technically
impossible at this time to analyse glutaraldehyde in
animal tissues as the glutaraldehyde will react with the
biological material, followed by rapid metabolisation and
elimination.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ZDHIZq3_fPs-Ga

suggest reading the whole thing for the bad stuff..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-20-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: edit
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hahahaha. And here we are...a chemical dependent society. Thanks DuPont!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Hahahaha. And here we are...a chemical dependent society. Thanks DuPont!

Life IS chemicals..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode