1Likes
  • 2 Post By BigNoobMan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank looks too green!

Hi all.

My planted shrimp tank has been going for about a year now, but as everything has grown in the tank is looking really green and it looks odd to me.
Is there anything I can do to fix this? Remove plants maybe, or add some different coloured plants?

See the photos taken about two months apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F6A7AE8-4F42-4D01-B20A-0F1B8DEF9F47_1529256230145.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	862489  

Name:	A2BEF6E7-DC87-4F09-8B90-ACB4BA0DB1D0_1529256292546.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	862497  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

When plants grow, the light shines through them and it casts a green tint over the tank.

If you trim back the plants, the tank will look like it originally did.

You can get a higher quality light, or another light with better distribution.

Its a lighting issue imo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do you mean you want more contrast? You could try changing your background colour - black would make the plants pop and stop them blending into the background.

Your rocks will probably have a bit of algae by now, a scrub with a toothbrush will clear that up and turn them greyer. You could also scatter a few more smaller rocks forward a bit to break up your green carpet.

Some redder plants would also add more contrast. Maybe a red/brown crypt in front of the rocks.

Tannin from wood can give it a yellow tint to the water that isn't always very obvious but can effect the overall tone. If you don't do big/frequent water changes you might try a couple to see if that makes any difference.

The lights can also be different tones, you get yellower (which will give an overall greenish/yellow tinge to everything, as apposed to blue/white light that will be a bit more stark coloured and make the rocks look greyer.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have two led lights in this tank at the moment, one is a ‘sunlight’ (6500k I think?) and the other is more of a neutral white.

So i’ve just thinned the plants out a lot, scrubbed everything down and done a 50+% water change, looking slightly better I think? See photo.

I have been meaning to add a black background so that will be next. Hopefully will help!

Looking at the before and after it seems that majorly thinning out the moss and java fern helped a great deal!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4119797A-EBDC-4D3F-8E8C-540EDEC3BB0F_1529264838637.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	862521  

ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-18-2018 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

I know it's usually blasphemy to buy plants from big box stores, but the tissue culture Petsmart sells called "crypt undulata red" is actually a very pretty, undemanding plant. Mine have stayed reddish-purple the entire time I've had them, had almost no crypt melt.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNoobMan View Post
I have two led lights in this tank at the moment, one is a ‘sunlight’ (6500k I think?) and the other is more of a neutral white.

So i’ve just thinned the plants out a lot, scrubbed everything down and done a 50+% water change, looking slightly better I think? See photo.

I have been meaning to add a black background so that will be next. Hopefully will help!

Looking at the before and after it seems that majorly thinning out the moss and java fern helped a great deal!
Looks better.

Another thing that could help is a UV sterilizer/clarifier. I got one of those $40 ones from Amazon and it was amazing. Bulb lasted 9 months.

There are organics in the water column that will give the water a tint. It may not be a full on algae or bacteria bloom, but it still will have some color.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

To me, the second (green) one looks a lot better. But then I have cataracts an that can affect color. I am reminded of the artist Monet who tore up pictures when he got his eyes fixed. I am running 8000K lights on my tanks because that is how I like it. So this ramble just explains why I like the one you don't.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

I 2nd the suggestion to add a background... black would accent the white substrate and really make the plants pop... it would also hide all the wires and equipment behind the tank. Every time I’ve added a background it made the tank look brighter. Idk if there’s light loss out the backside of the tank, but for whatever reason a background would def make it pop.

Experience: worked in fishroom of Eddies Aquarium in Albany all through college, 20 years of keeping reef tanks, planted tanks, and dart frog vivariums.

Current/in-progress tanks: 20 gallon hi tech tank in office, 120 gallon nature/tetra aquarium at home.

Philosophy: work with what you’ve got, and make choices based on the conditions that easiest for you to maintain over time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe if the larger plants (j ferns) were lower in the tank, the light coming through wouldn't be so green.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode