How to determine the fish stock capacity for your tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to determine the fish stock capacity for your tank?

Hi guys, I had a 20G planted tank set up for couple months now and been slowly adding fishes, and I would like to know how to determin e the right capacity for fish stocking for my tank.

I have the top fin slientstream 40 hob filter (120-200 GPH flow, but right now set in the lower end of flow), I added filter pad for the intake, and rigged the inside to fill it with additional filer sponge and 500 ml of seachem matrix, so there are plenty of biological filter and I never see any ammonia/nitrite post cycle and nitrate is usually around 5-10 PPM with 20% water change weekly. I also have an air stone (turn on for a few hrs twice a day) in the back corner for extra oxygenation. I have moderate amount of plants in my tank, but they are mostly slow growing plants (moss, anubis, java ferns, and creeping jenny), but I do have a small patch of duck weed as well.

I intend to keep nano to small community fishes, so far I have

7 clown killifish
2 lyretail guppy
5 endler guppy
1 fancy guppy
7 red coral ballon platy
5 gold honey gourami
5 julii cory

All my fishes look healthy and gets along and all water parameters looks good, so far I only lost 1 lyretail guppy (I had 3 before) who did not eat for 3 weeks since introduced to my tank, and his belly was sunk in and look very weak before he passed away.

My question is how do I know when my tank had reach its capacity or if I can continue to add more fish? What other parameters you look for beside the basic water parameters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 PM
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I honestly dont trust aqadvisor, it does not take into account on any modification you made to your filter, I dont use the tiny stock filter pad, I modified my filter and the biological filtration capacity is at least a few times higher than what it was designed for. It also doesn't take into account of plants, substrate, aeration in your set up as well.

So far there are three factors I look at for stocking in my tank,
1. Normal water parameters/biological filtration capacity - making sure my ammonia/nitrite is always zero, and nitrate is low (I am having difficulty keeping nitrate above 10 PPM they just always stay low post cycle).
2. Oxygenation - I make sure there are enough dissolved oxygen in my tank and my fish is not struggling for air, though not sure if there is any way to test dissolved oxygen level in a aquarium.
3. Enough space for everyone - making sure everyone have enough space for themselve and there are no aggressive/territorial behavior.

Are there anything else I am missing or pay attention to if I want to add more fish?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode