Water parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water parameters

Back in January I set up a nano tank, at first I battled algae but it has since improved. I currently have 3 species of anubias, 6 bucephalandras, a few stem plants, moss and nerite snails. I plan to introduce shrimp in the future. I am using UNS all in one fertilizer per the instructions, and liquid co2 (daily) ( i know ) . I perform weekly water tests and water changes and upkeep to maintain. Filter mignon 160. My question is in regards to my parameters. They have been consistently as follows:
Ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0 to 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-40ppm
Kh: 2- 3drops = 35.6 - 53.4ppm
Gh: extremely high: off chart

So my question is how do I raise my kh, and decrease my gh. I have hard water so I know that plays a role in gh as well as adding my fertilizer- i believe it raises my gh. I have read some articles about the relationship between ph, kh, gh. But I am at a loss, Please helppp!!! Thank you!!!

Ana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
About the only way I can think of to lower your GH would be to use RO water to some extent. You could dilute your tap water with it or use it entirely and remineralize it. I don't think you're all in one fert is contributing to your GH very much. While it may contain some calcium and magnesium it probably isn't that much. Some stones that we use for hardscape can add to GH.

Your KH is around 2-3 dKH which is fine, IMO. Is there a reason you want to raise it? You can use sodium bicarb and there are other products sold just for that purpose such as Aquavitro Carbonate.

You mentioned that you're tank is improving which would make me want to continue as I'm doing and not change things up too much. There are plenty of good scapes with hard water, George Farmer's tanks that keeps at his home and for Aquarium Gardens are examples, since he mentions having very hard water at both.

Planted tanks do well with consistency as long as that consistency is in their favor.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
About the only way I can think of to lower your GH would be to use RO water to some extent. You could dilute your tap water with it or use it entirely and remineralize it. I don't think you're all in one fert is contributing to your GH very much. While it may contain some calcium and magnesium it probably isn't that much. Some stones that we use for hardscape can add to GH.

Your KH is around 2-3 dKH which is fine, IMO. Is there a reason you want to raise it? You can use sodium bicarb and there are other products sold just for that purpose such as Aquavitro Carbonate.

You mentioned that you're tank is improving which would make me want to continue as I'm doing and not change things up too much. There are plenty of good scapes with hard water, George Farmer's tanks that keeps at his home and for Aquarium Gardens are examples, since he mentions having very hard water at both.

Planted tanks do well with consistency as long as that consistency is in their favor.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I think you are right that my hardscape stone may be playing a factor into my high gh. I think bc I am a newbie my thinking is way off. I am using liquid co2, I plan to convert to gas eventually but not in the immediate future. I wanted to lower my gh bc I figured having unreadable gh levels is not favorable. My ph has been completely stable since the tank has cycled. Thus, I wanted to raise my kh, to get better co2 levels. This is because charts I've researched show that for my ph and kh co2 levels are too low. and bc I used liquid co2 i am worried about overdosing. Do you have any advice on my thought process? Like I said I am pretty new to this. So thank you so much for helping me and setting me on the right track

Ana

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
If the flora and fauna that you're keeping are not bothered by your GH then I would think you're fine. If your harscape is raising your GH then regular water changes will help with it. You do have a nano tank so if you decided to go the RO route it wouldn't be too costly to buy and dilute your tap water. I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp, but I do understand the desire to want to improve things when you think you could do even better.

There are a lot of variables that affect the ph/KH chart making it not so reliable. Things like phosphates, buffering substrates, tanins from driftwood can all affect the results we get. A better way to get an idea on how much CO2 you're adding would be a relative pH change from whatever you measure when your water is fully degassed to what it is when you're adding CO2, which of course you're not doing now, but something for the future.

Your ph and KH don't have anything to do with liquid carbon supplements since they're not actually CO2, but a readily available form source of carbon. It's best just to go with the manufacturer's directions regarding dosing, but there are a lot of people who routinely add more and seem to have no problems for the most part. The fact that Seachem Excel, is glutaraldehyde makes me a bit leary of it although I've used it in the past at recommended levels with no ill effects that I could tell and would still use it for spot dosing BBA since it is an effective algaecide.

Have you read any of Dennis Wong's website, "The 2hr Aquarist"? It's a very exhaustive guide on keeping planted tanks and contains the current thinking on pretty much every aspect of the hobby. It's a good read no matter how long one has been in the hobby and especially good for those just getting into it.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
If the flora and fauna that you're keeping are not bothered by your GH then I would think you're fine. If your harscape is raising your GH then regular water changes will help with it. You do have a nano tank so if you decided to go the RO route it wouldn't be too costly to buy and dilute your tap water. I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp, but I do understand the desire to want to improve things when you think you could do even better.

There are a lot of variables that affect the ph/KH chart making it not so reliable. Things like phosphates, buffering substrates, tanins from driftwood can all affect the results we get. A better way to get an idea on how much CO2 you're adding would be a relative pH change from whatever you measure when your water is fully degassed to what it is when you're adding CO2, which of course you're not doing now, but something for the future.

Your ph and KH don't have anything to do with liquid carbon supplements since they're not actually CO2, but a readily available form source of carbon. It's best just to go with the manufacturer's directions regarding dosing, but there are a lot of people who routinely add more and seem to have no problems for the most part. The fact that Seachem Excel, is glutaraldehyde makes me a bit leary of it although I've used it in the past at recommended levels with no ill effects that I could tell and would still use it for spot dosing BBA since it is an effective algaecide.

Have you read any of Dennis Wong's website, "The 2hr Aquarist"? It's a very exhaustive guide on keeping planted tanks and contains the current thinking on pretty much every aspect of the hobby. It's a good read no matter how long one has been in the hobby and especially good for those just getting into it.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

Hi Jeff5614,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I will definitely take the time to read through that website! I think I am too focused on the co2, and gh. I think i should be based more off of what my plants are telling me thank you again!

Ana

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode