Hello again.. Need help with couple of things. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It has been a while since i posted as the help you guys provided really helped my tank and it has been going great.. the java moss has taken off, The shrimps are giving babies like crazy and overall everything is going good.

But as i am new i just need a bit of help in some aspects i cant seem to understand.

1- My tank was already cycled and for a while i have had 0 amminia nitrites & nitrates. But recently i see spikes in ammonia reaches to 0.2 ppm but not above and nitrites stay 0 all the time. I just do water changes and it goes to zero. I cant quite seems to understand what might cause the sudden spike?? Only one fish dead i never found the body of it.. i think the shrimps ate it..but the ammonia had gone to zero after the fish had disappeared but since then these random spikes keep occuring. Could it be cause of the plants ? I keep finding dead plant matter float to the top but i remove it daily. I think shrimps just eat at them and let em float up

2- i have attached pic of my planted tank if someone can identify the plants for me that would be really great aswell.

3- how do you remove the calcium stains on the aquarium top part? I dont like how it looks.

4- i am seeing a bit of blackbeard algae.. how do i fix it before it becomes a problem ? Seen on the java moss block and rock in the middle.. it is a very small amount but i dont want to be unprepared and need to fix it now.

I feel like maybe the filter medium isnt enough for the sudden burst in population.. the shrimps were 9 and they have been reproducing like crazy might be around 50+ now.
Guppies did give birth but i removed the babies and kept them in a separate tank. There are 3 guppies in the tank right now and shrimps.

Do you think if i build and overhead sump that would help in dealing with this more efficiently? And provide much more efficient filteration then the small filter i currently have?

This is a ten gallon tank
The parameters today are

Ph 7.5
Ammonia between 0.1 - 0.2 ppm
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Temp is 26 c
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180509_202626_1529166187074.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	862097  

Name:	20180509_202508_1529166270277.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	862113  

Name:	20180609_204700_1529166386207.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	862177  

Name:	20180610_194643_1529166591497.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	862185  

Name:	20180607_185107_1529166631492.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	862193  

Name:	20180616_193506_1529166925997.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	862201  

Name:	20180616_193500_1529166968196.jpg
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	862209  

Name:	20180616_201903_1529169757217.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	862217  

Name:	20180616_201239_1529169831517.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	862225  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Ziadnasir,

Just to check, have you done any of the following?
- washed your filter in untreated tap water
- used cleaning detergent near your tank
- sprayed deodorant/air fresheners or lit candles in the same room as your tank
- noticed any dead shrimp in your plants
- left uneaten food (e.g blanched vegetables) in the tank for more than a few hours

The first three are sure-fire ways to kill the good bacteria in your filter, which would lead to ammonia spikes. The fourth one is because as far as I'm aware, shrimp are very sensitive to water quality, so the ammonia could be causing them to die off, which would produce more ammonia, etc. The last one is because decomposing food produces ammonia.

I've never been very successful with shrimp, but I believe they have pretty low bio-loads. That said, a jump to 50 could have shocked the filter. You said you were thinking about adding additional filtration, but you need to make sure that cycling this filter won't add to your ammonia levels more, so you'll need to keep an eye on water quality should you add another.

The thing with nano tanks is that they are much harder to keep stable in terms of water quality, and sometimes these things just happen. Let us know if you've done any of the first three points though, as you may have triggered your filter into a new/mini-cycle.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Hey Ziadnasir,

Just to check, have you done any of the following?
- washed your filter in untreated tap water
- used cleaning detergent near your tank
- sprayed deodorant/air fresheners or lit candles in the same room as your tank
- noticed any dead shrimp in your plants
- left uneaten food (e.g blanched vegetables) in the tank for more than a few hours

The first three are sure-fire ways to kill the good bacteria in your filter, which would lead to ammonia spikes. The fourth one is because as far as I'm aware, shrimp are very sensitive to water quality, so the ammonia could be causing them to die off, which would produce more ammonia, etc. The last one is because decomposing food produces ammonia.

I've never been very successful with shrimp, but I believe they have pretty low bio-loads. That said, a jump to 50 could have shocked the filter. You said you were thinking about adding additional filtration, but you need to make sure that cycling this filter won't add to your ammonia levels more, so you'll need to keep an eye on water quality should you add another.

The thing with nano tanks is that they are much harder to keep stable in terms of water quality, and sometimes these things just happen. Let us know if you've done any of the first three points though, as you may have triggered your filter into a new/mini-cycle.

I only washed the filter medium in the tank water i take out as i read it wouldn't harm the bacteria.

And no on the candle or cleaning medium..

Didnt find any dead shrimps infact they seemd very healthy and all over the place and reproducing like crazy infact right now aswell 2 shrimps are carrying eggs, last shrimp death was a while ago.
But the guppies are slow i dont know why and two of them did die, one i never found the body as i had exams and didnt notice it missing and when i did the shrimps had eaten it up as i looked everywhere. And 2nd one died 2 days ago but i immediately took it out.
I am guessing ammonia spike might have been the cause ?

The blanched vegetable i do keep it for 36 hours or so in a glass bowl as by then they finish it all up.. is that wrong ?? I boil it for 15 mins just a thin slice of zuchini and put it in the tank..

Regarding the filter yes i want to increase as i think such a spike in population needs more filtration.. would just connect the existing filter outlet to the new filter sump untill it completles the cycle with the help of the bacteria from existing filter. And i do keep checking the water everyweek. And water change a week or two later.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone?? Does no one has any idea regarding my questions above ??

And what is i bleach dip java moss ?? Or H2O2 is better?? Bba is just on the top of the ceramic cylinder i have kept in tank and attached moss to it.. so bba is limited to the surface of the ceramic and also on the just the top hasnt appeard on any plant.. so if i would do the dip or h202 it would be just the top part.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode