moving a planted tank with dirt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
moving a planted tank with dirt

I'm going to be going back to school in the fall. I've started a 5.5 dirted and planted tank as a project to keep myself busy over the summer, and I was thinking of taking it with me. Only problem is, I'm worried that jostling it around like that will disturb the substrate too much and release a ton of dirt into the water. (it's dirt capped with gravel but I'm not sure how easily that can get messed up due to being carried or riding in a car.) I'm also worried that draining the water and leaving a lot of plants partially exposed for 3 hours might damage them.

What's the best way to move around a tank with potentially messy substrate like this? Or should I not even bother and just leave it at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Never move it with the stuff in it, I would get a couple sterilized buckets one for fish one for the dirt, put tank water in each bucket remove fish to the bucket, uproot plants set aside scoop dirt out put it in the other bucket with tank water put plants in dirt bucket as the fish might get tangled up In the plants, empty tank totally and move and relocate, not hard to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOsprey View Post
I'm going to be going back to school in the fall. I've started a 5.5 dirted and planted tank as a project to keep myself busy over the summer, and I was thinking of taking it with me. Only problem is, I'm worried that jostling it around like that will disturb the substrate too much and release a ton of dirt into the water. (it's dirt capped with gravel but I'm not sure how easily that can get messed up due to being carried or riding in a car.) I'm also worried that draining the water and leaving a lot of plants partially exposed for 3 hours might damage them.

What's the best way to move around a tank with potentially messy substrate like this? Or should I not even bother and just leave it at home?
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

I was wondering the same thing, as I'm going to college, but don't have a planted tank. I'm probably going to drain out dang near all of my water down to the substrate, use a spray bottle to spray the crap out of the plants, then plastic wrap the top. The plants are kept humid enough for the ride, plus you won't have to worry about dirt resettling as much.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
Never move it with the stuff in it, I would get a couple sterilized buckets one for fish one for the dirt, put tank water in each bucket remove fish to the bucket, uproot plants set aside scoop dirt out put it in the other bucket with tank water put plants in dirt bucket as the fish might get tangled up In the plants, empty tank totally and move and relocate, not hard to do

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ugh. If it was just sand or gravel, I might try that, but this is gravel-capped dirt... Separating the dirt from the gravel would be an absolute nightmare, keeping the water from becoming absolutely filthy would be nearly impossible, completely tearing this down wouldn't be worth it. I think I'll just try growing cuttings in a smaller and more easy to carry tank instead. =__=
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:36 AM
Planted Member

My advice:

Take the tank down and restart it at its new location. This will be a perfect time to trim all your plants and you may wind up with more than you can handle! Also, since dirt has a limited lifespan this will give you a chance to reset its usability - just get another bag of miracle grow and sand and redo. Its not actually that big of a headache as it seems. Your plants will bounce back in a month or so after they get their roots into all that new soil!

40 breeder tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 gallon long (retired):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 gallon high (retired):

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode