Fish stocking questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Weidbrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish stocking questions

Hello all, I'm a new member of this forum and hope you all can help me. (english is not my first languange, so bear with me please)

I'm currently repairing and acclimating my 350 gallon tank that had not be been used for almost a decade. I'm planning to put all of my fish pet into that tank, but do not know whether they would be compatible or not.

The list of current fish i have are :
- 16 Denison Barbs (3 Golden, all 7-10 cm long)
- 17 Serpae tetras + 3 black phantom tetras
- 6 red iranian rainbows + 3 boesemani rainbows (still small sizes)
- Around 30 dwarf peacock rainbow babies (had them for a year and still growing)
- 1 SAE
- 10 green tiger barbs

Which of all of the fishes I mentioned above can i put in together? I'm not planning to put them all in the same tank, as I'm rather weary with the tiger barbs. I also planned to put the dwarf rainbows alone in a 50 gallon until they're big enough.

I also planning to get :
- 15 odessa barbs
- 15 cherry barbs
- Dwarf Cichlids.

My main questions are regarding to the dwarf cichlids..what kind of fish i can get? LfS in my county currently had :
- Apistogramma Fire red
- Apistogramma double res
- Apistogramma macmisteri
- Apistogramma cocaktoo
- German/Electric blue ram
- Bolivian Ram
- Kribensis
- Blue Acara

From all of the species above, which one is the best and compatible with my other fishes (especially the denisons) and how many can i get?? I'm also planning to get the cichlids to breed in the tank (it's densly planted with plants)

Your suggestions will be very much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Algae Grower

I think i would exclude the blue acara from your cichlid list cause it will grow big enough to eat the others. I would maybe exclude the german/blue rams cause they are more picky. You would need to keep the water really warm and they are much more timid than your other fish so may be stressed and not live very long. Kribs are definitly the more likely ones to breed and maybe be able to keep the babies alive for a while cause they are good holding their territory (they are aggressive when breeding). The apistos and bolivian are also on the stronger side so they should be ok. I do hate serpei tetras with all my heart. I had them as a kid and all i remember where they fighting each other and half eatten fish swimming around. I was like 10 years old and had them with a gourami and angels cause the store said they were a good school to go with the angels. I have very bad memories of those fish! But i guess there was also a big lack of experience on my part (i am from the generation parents did not help kids with their hobbies and there was no internet so there was so much i understood of the situation).

55g - tetras, rasboras, SAE, britlenose, GBR, corys kuhlis
30g- britlenose, GBR
8g - Endlers
10g - Endlers
8g- Endlers, shrimp
5g- java moss ball tank, for the occasional breeding
150g- Pearl gourami, rasboras, ember t, rummynose t., cardinal t., Bolivian ram, Apisto cacatuoides
, SAE, britlenose, corys...
All low tech.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Algae Grower

One thing that I've noticed in my years online: More often than not, if someone starts their post by apologizing for English not being their first language, then their post is going to then be near perfect English.
Discusluv and Discusluv like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Algae Grower

You made me laugh! If it was a non-native like me, that knows no rules, he/she would not even think about apologizing. It is like: "english, that language they speak in movies, i can wing it".

Today my vote goes for apistograma cacatoides. I have a 150 gallons in my office and went there today after a week of working from home and i saw my apisto female keeping everyones really far and walking around her babies. She is awesome at protecting them. She even keeps the bolivian rams that are 3x her size really far. Way more efficient than my GBR that can only protect the eggs. As soon as they are free swiming they are eatten if i don't pull them.

55g - tetras, rasboras, SAE, britlenose, GBR, corys kuhlis
30g- britlenose, GBR
8g - Endlers
10g - Endlers
8g- Endlers, shrimp
5g- java moss ball tank, for the occasional breeding
150g- Pearl gourami, rasboras, ember t, rummynose t., cardinal t., Bolivian ram, Apisto cacatuoides
, SAE, britlenose, corys...
All low tech.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-13-2018 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Thx for all of your input, sorry for replying now. I'm kinda busy yesterday to check for any reply...

Anyway, what do you think of mixing 2 different colors of apisto agassizii?? I'm planning to put the fire red and double red together in the tank (each 1 Male and 3 females).

Ooh..and the apisto cockatoo in my LFS are not that great looking, they were almost albino...i'll post a picture later.

I don't know why, but my serpaes are big softies though (kinda), they don't even bother my betta..I like them because of their interaction and bright color. But, my favorite fish without a doubt, are the Denison Barb.😀😀

Here are the pic of apisto cockatoo in my lfs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180613-090743_1528855675790.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	861361  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-13-2018 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode