First tank ever, tips and critique please! - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By ryanthamilton7
  • 2 Post By Outofwater
  • 2 Post By babystarz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First tank ever, tips and critique please!

I've had this tank up and running for about 2 months, planted for 1.5 of that and fish in for about one month (7 neon tetra). I got a variety pack of plants from someone off the forum along with some plants from my local petco. I'm thinking that the petco plants we're a mistake because now I'm pulling multiple snails out every day which gets quite tedious. I'm also having a little trouble with what I believe is brown algae and hair algae. I'm looking for tips to keep the algae under control, although it's by no means out of control it's still an annoyance. Also, any tips on how to make my tank look better would be appreciated!

Tank Setup:
20G long tank
Aqueon quietflow internal filter (40 gallon)
100w heater
Nicrew RGB LED light 21w
Nicrew classic 28" light (white & blue LED, 7500k, 18w)
Substrate: organic potting soil rinsed and strained & capped with eco complete
No CO2
Lights on for 6 hours/day
Some natural lighting throughout the day but very indirect (windows about 12 feet away)
0 ammonia & nitrites, <10ppm nitrates
20% roughly water change once every week or two
Excel every other day or so

I'm thinking of getting an assassin snail to help get rid of the pond snails, good idea? Also maybe shrimp or some other type of snail to help with algae but that wont take over the whole tank? Algae eating fish? I'm also planning to get a few more neons and a half dozen or so of another type tetra, maybe a betta?

P.S. Sorry the photos are so huge, how can I make them scale down on here?

Greggz and Greggz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Algae Grower

If you have a lot of snails a pea puffer might be a good option but not if you plan to add shrimp. I recently got some plants from a LFS and got a snail infestation. Its in my shrimp tank so I tried a few assassin snails but haven't noticed any improvement. I've been putting a piece of zucchini in the tank over night and pulling it out in the morning with at least 10 snails a night.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've always had good luck with assassin snails myself, when I had too many of the stowaway snails coming in on plants the assassin snail took care of them in a week. After that I removed the assassin snail from the tank and added snail species that I did want in the tank (specifically Malaysian trumpet snails and nerite snails). In the future you can also quarantine new plants in a small tank/container or even use a chemical dip. This will not only prevent more pond snails from entering your main tank, it will ensure the plants aren't carrying anything microscopic you don't want in your tank like parasites or diseases.

Nerite snails are great for algae and cannot reproduce in a freshwater tank so if you buy 3, you will only ever have 3 in your tank.

.`.`..`.><(((>

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode