Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Random general questions

I have a planted 30 gallon that has the following in it currently:

10 cherry barb
6 rasbora
1 neon tetra
1 SAE

How often should I be feeding? I just have some generic pelleted food from the lfs. Do you folks feed veggies?

I've been getting minor buildups of algae around the tank. Will an oto be useful in helping to keep that in check? I have one of those magnetic "brush" things, should I just use that instead of hiring an oto ? XD

Yesterday I noticed a bit of foam building up on the water surface around the sides of the tank. I woke up this morning and most of it was gone. What could be causing that? FYI I do E.I. dosing and use a powerhead to circulate co2, not sure if either dosing or water movement could contribute to this foam.

Thanks!
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

"There's hay in my coffee and fur on my clothes, a treat in my hand and a bunny on my toes!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I honestly only feed my shrimp veggies, they get the occasional blanched spinach. I feed my fish daily though(no food on weekends is the exception), rotating between New Life Spectrum and Hikari Micro pellets. They also get the occasional freeze dried tubifex worms. My Oto's LOVE the tubifex, but then again, all my fish go pretty nuts for it.

SAE's are better algae eaters than Oto's, as long as you ACTUALLY have an SAE. SAE's get big though, 6 inches, and prefer to be in schools. Oto's stay smaller and also like to be in groups of 6 or more. If the algae is on the glass, I'd just scrape it off vs. adding something to try and deal with it. Plenty of critters will eat it, but nothing will beat a razor blade.

The surface film is perfectly normal, it's a buildup of protein and bacteria. When it gets bad, you'll have bubbles around the edges and a nice "oil slick" appearance on the surface of the water. Get yourself a surface skimmer. I use the Eheim surface skimmers, I like them but the price seems to have jumped on them lately. Maybe look for a cheaper alternative.
https://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Skim-35...im+skimmer+350
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@mgeorges Thanks! Will they eventually get the hang of feeding time? Right now they don't really notice, the food floats around for a little bit and then a few folks gobble it all up while the others don't have a chance to get to it.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

"There's hay in my coffee and fur on my clothes, a treat in my hand and a bunny on my toes!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I do not do a schedule, but my fish are aggressive feeders. The white clouds and Espei rasboras go ballistic as soon as anything hits the water surface. If your fish aren't getting it, you could hold the food between your fingers, dip your fingers into the water and let the food start to...send out its aroma. The fish will detect it and possibly come check your fingers out.

I also purposely overfeed so that my Corys get some.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I feed alot of live and frozen foods to my fish. I also feed about what they eat in about 10 seconds. I might do it a couple times though. I 've recently started trying to skip at least 1 day a week. Some of my fish are getting chubby.
As far as algae... I love Amano shrimp, Nerites, and Oto's. I enjoy them so I have them. They REALLY help. I'd love to get another 10 Oto's for each of my 75 gallon tanks. Theyre so cute and love being in groups. The process by which they are made available to us is atrocious though... most don't survive long term. Out of 8, only 2 survived long term. They also require a very mature tank. They feed on algae and biofilm. I don't know that I would add them to a tank less than 4 months old. Or you could intentionally grow some algae on some stones (like outside) and add them into the tank with your new Oto's. You have to keep parameters super stable while Oto's acclimate and really look for the dead ones so they don't foul your water. Sorry... seems like I'm always telling you about fish dying on me.

I also love Amano's but they seem to crawl out of my smaller tanks that don't have lids. Do you have a lid? They can get pretty big so as long as you guide them to a safe spot when you add them and your plants provide enough cover they will do well. That doesn't mean that you'll see them often, but everytime I do I'm like "wow look at the size of him!!". I think I have 3 in one of my 75's and 6 or so in my 150. I'd like to double those numbers.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccanne View Post
@mgeorges Thanks! Will they eventually get the hang of feeding time? Right now they don't really notice, the food floats around for a little bit and then a few folks gobble it all up while the others don't have a chance to get to it.
Also... New fish always get live baby brine shrimp and mosquito larvae and frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms at every meal for the first 2-3 weeks. After that they learn to become aggressive eaters. My Neons are like a flashy school of piranha. They don't care who else is gobbling at the food, they swarm and have no issue ripping a piece out of a 3" cichlid's mouth.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@mgeorges I think they are already getting the hang of it! So don't laugh at me, but I totally can't figure out the timer that I have for my light XD Lately I've been waking up at 5am anyway (yay lifestyle changes -.-) so I just turn the light on at 5 and turn it off when I head to work at 8. The fish seem to be expecting food, they all swim to the side of the tank where I've been doing the feeding!

@The Dude1 Well $hit. Yesterday I found 2 dead rasboras and 2 dead cherry barbs... I guess we can swap death stories XD One of the barbs was floating in a small space between a piece of wood I have in the tank, so I don't even know how I noticed it! It was pretty white by the time I got it out...I guess he had been there for a while? I tested my water and ammonia was at .25ppm. I suppose this could be the cause of my other dead fishies? I've noticed my SAE is being quite a douche to everyone else...but the dead ones didn't look beaten up or anything. Could an SAE kill smaller fish? He's such a jerk, I wish I could catch him...

On another note, I think lighting is becoming an issue for me. I think I'm in a position where my plants aren't getting enough light (they can be kinda droopy) but I'm still getting algae on the glass, and now on the rocks as well. I'm E.I dosing and I feel like my plants really aren't benefitting as much as they could if they had more light, they look a little droopy. What do people do in this situation? Can I increase lighting and just do maintenance everyday scrubbing at the algae? It's mostly growing on the glass in the front in between the substrate. I usually wipe the glass down every few days. Always comes back though, naturally. I don't have a lid so I think the amanos might find their way out. I had an amano in a 5g tank and he "disappeared". Never did find him, but I wonder if he met my bunny :P

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode