New to me 180g. What to do with the holes in the bottom of the aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Bratmanxj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to me 180g. What to do with the holes in the bottom of the aquarium?

This 180g acrylic came up on Craigslist for a good price ($240). It is a little rough but it is polishing up nicely. I am at a loss at what to do with the holes in the bottom. I know, patch them up and forget about them... it seems like they should be good for something though?

This tank will be a peninsula tank (the short side will be against the wall and the long sides will be visible from both sides). After MUCH consideration I decided I will drill the short side for a ghost type overflow to feed the Wet / Dry (trickle) sump. The bottom will be potting soil covered with a gravel cap. I do not plan on injecting CO2.

I have seriously considered running the return line behind the overflow, above the top of the tank, with a siphon break at the top, back down to under the tank then up through the current holes in the bottom. The loop above the water line with the siphon break (hole) will keep the returns from back siphoning during a power outage. Is this worth the trouble and extra plumbing?... it really won't be that hard to plumb.

The tank is 6' long. I will be making the stand 6' 6" long. I will be making the canopy 6' 6" long. The extra 6" at the back of the stand will be enclosed to hide the plumbing and wires and also connect the stand to the canopy. It would be relatively easy to put the siphon break loop back in this 6" x 24" enclosed area and still have it hidden. I really like the idea of the ghost overflow and no plumbing inside the tank... which the bottom holes would give me. I also like the idea of the bottom returns stirring up the bottom of the tank above the gravel and moving around the water down there.

Another thought is to run the ghost overflow / sump with a typical top return. Then run a closed loop water polishing canister filter drawing from the bottom at one end then returning to the bottom at the other end. The downside of this is I would loose the sump (and filter sock in the sump) as a pre-filter for the water polisher... meaning more frequent maintenance of the water polisher.

I have given SERIOUS consideration to using a center "Island" overflow that would leave all four sides of the tank clear of any plumbing. I like this idea as I could use the tank in the conventional against the wall position if I ever decided to move the location of the tank. There is a small patch on one of the small sides of the tank... the side I will drill for the overflow... which was the deciding factor to drill the tank on this small side and use it in a peninsula configuration.

Has anyone ever used bottom returns in a dirt bottom planted tank? Any thoughts on bottom returns in a dirt bottom planted tank?

Last edited by Oughtsix; 06-05-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would leave the bulkheads in place, but install end caps into them. Your substrate will hide them. The bulkhead fittings are much stronger and less likely to leak or cause problems compared to any patch you are likely to make.

Of course you can try to use some of them for intakes or returns to your filtration system, but if you have a problem, it can mean draining the tank to correct it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the reply. I have the appropriate weldon cement for making permanent acrylic patches. I think it would be a headache to leave the bulkheads and plug them. I would have to leave holes in the top of the stand and it would make moving the aquarium around if I ever needed to more difficult.

I am having a hard time envisioning how I would use the bulkheads as returns, have the returns at the gravel level but above the gravel and disguise the returns. I am thinking of a hollow rock covering the bottom returns but that will add constraints to scaping the tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
I am having a hard time envisioning how I would use the bulkheads as returns, have the returns at the gravel level but above the gravel and disguise the returns.
Look up "Under Gravel Jet" returns, I will keep debris moving up into the water column vs settling at the bottom and might be a possibility work utilize the bulkheads on the bottom of the tank.
Oughtsix and Oughtsix like this.

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanxj View Post
Look up "Under Gravel Jet" returns, I will keep debris moving up into the water column vs settling at the bottom and might be a possibility work utilize the bulkheads on the bottom of the tank.
"Under Gravel Jet"

Yep, that is the ticket! I did all sort of searching for tank bottom returns and the like and didn't come up with anything. I now have some reading to do. Thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode