CO2 and pH Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 and pH Question

I知 new to planted tanks and I want to make sure I知 clear on pressurized CO2 injection.
I知 using an Apex controller that turns on the CO2 when the pH hits 7.0 and turns it off when it drops to 6.75. I plan on playing around with the range, but so far everything looks fine. It typically cycles on for 4 hours and off for 2. My drop checker is in the 鼎O2 desired range. Am I on the right track? Is anyone else doing something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower

What is your intent with injecting CO2? if it is to maintain your ph then you are on the right track, but there are cheaper alternatives. If you are attempting to feed your plants you might want to dose to the point where you plants seem to all be getting enough.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilanterepoman View Post
What is your intent with injecting CO2? if it is to maintain your ph then you are on the right track, but there are cheaper alternatives. If you are attempting to feed your plants you might want to dose to the point where you plants seem to all be getting enough.
Thanks for the response! Actually my goal is both.
But I also plan on dosing. Possibly an all-in-one like Thrive+.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduhb View Post
Thanks for the response! Actually my goal is both.
But I also plan on dosing. Possibly an all-in-one like Thrive+.
Well then you are on the right track. I personally like to just run my co2 while my light is on. I find the ph swings aren't significant enough to worry.

I actually am using Thrive in my Nano right now and it seems to do great. However, a word of advice; as nutrients and co2 become readily available, this will provide your plants a footing as well as providing algae a way to get its foot in the door. Use your light like a gas pedal, and start with low photoperiods. My biggest mistake has always been getting everything so perfect and available to the plants that I inadvertently allow algae to exploit the perfect conditions. It is easiest to use the light because plants tend to do better with short photoperiods vs. algae. Once your tank is prospering then start upping the photoperiod. Just don't over do it in the beginning.

Just my 2 cents you can take it or leave it. Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilanterepoman View Post
Well then you are on the right track. I personally like to just run my co2 while my light is on. I find the ph swings aren't significant enough to worry.

I actually am using Thrive in my Nano right now and it seems to do great. However, a word of advice; as nutrients and co2 become readily available, this will provide your plants a footing as well as providing algae a way to get its foot in the door. Use your light like a gas pedal, and start with low photoperiods. My biggest mistake has always been getting everything so perfect and available to the plants that I inadvertently allow algae to exploit the perfect conditions. It is easiest to use the light because plants tend to do better with short photoperiods vs. algae. Once your tank is prospering then start upping the photoperiod. Just don't over do it in the beginning.

Just my 2 cents you can take it or leave it. Good luck!
That's great advice. I'm coming from the reef world so I definitely know the importance of going slow. Thanks again!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduhb View Post
I’m new to planted tanks and I want to make sure I’m clear on pressurized CO2 injection.
I’m using an Apex controller that turns on the CO2 when the pH hits 7.0 and turns it off when it drops to 6.75. I plan on playing around with the range, but so far everything looks fine. It typically cycles on for 4 hours and off for 2. My drop checker is in the “CO2 desired” range. Am I on the right track? Is anyone else doing something similar?
Since you're running a pH controller, I would set the tolerance much lower. If you want your pH around 6.75, then when it rises to 6.8, your CO2 kicks on.
As far as being on the right track, I'd need to know what your off-gassed pH is. Typically, a lot of us are aiming for a 1 degree pH drop from fully off-gassed to fully saturated. Your KH needs to be factored into this as well. Rotalabutterfly.com has a calculator you can use to figure out approximately what it will take to reach 30 ppm CO2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode