10 gallon betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By JJ09
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
10 gallon betta tank

I currently have a 10 gallon planted tank with 1 dragon scale plakat betta, 4 amano shrimp, 1 adult blue shrimp and 6 baby blue shrimp, 2 nerite snails and like 500 little pond snails. I really wanted to put something else in the tank but clearly dont want it to be overcrowded. I do have a couple other tanks I can move some shrimp and snails to if I need to. Anyone have any good suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower
 
SquigglyThing's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New York State, USA
Posts: 71
Some bettas accept khuli loaches, and a bunch of them would be really cool, (even if they eat shrimplets) IMO mini bichirs. It really comes down to your betta, they're like oscars, if they are accepting, you can keep just about anything, if not, nothing. The fact that he lets your shrimp and snails live is a good omen. As for overstocking, I don't know. Watch your water tests and do waterchanges/take out critters accordingly.
SquigglyThing is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquigglyThing View Post
Some bettas accept khuli loaches, and a bunch of them would be really cool, (even if they eat shrimplets) IMO mini bichirs. It really comes down to your betta, they're like oscars, if they are accepting, you can keep just about anything, if not, nothing. The fact that he lets your shrimp and snails live is a good omen. As for overstocking, I don't know. Watch your water tests and do waterchanges/take out critters accordingly.
Sorry, but this is a bad idea. Loaches should be kept in groups of 6 or more. They grow up to 4 inches and live a relatively long life. A 10 gallon tank isn't the right place for them.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I currently have a 10 gallon planted tank with 1 dragon scale plakat betta, 4 amano shrimp, 1 adult blue shrimp and 6 baby blue shrimp, 2 nerite snails and like 500 little pond snails. I really wanted to put something else in the tank but clearly dont want it to be overcrowded. I do have a couple other tanks I can move some shrimp and snails to if I need to. Anyone have any good suggestions?
Take a look at the chili rasbora or the glowlight raspbora. They are small, mid column to surface dwellers, 10 gallon tank with your stocking level could easily support 6-8 of them. They are also fast enough to stay clear of the betta should he get interested in them. I currently have 6 glowlights with a plakat betta and they all get along fine.
steviet is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:17 PM
Algae Grower
 
SquigglyThing's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New York State, USA
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet View Post
Sorry, but this is a bad idea. Loaches should be kept in groups of 6 or more. They grow up to 4 inches and live a relatively long life. A 10 gallon tank isn't the right place for them.
You feel a 10g isn't enough for 6 khulis and a betta? Yeah they hit 4", but never more than 1/4" in height or 1/16" in width, and they aren't very active.

Coffeepot Dovii Keeper

Last edited by SquigglyThing; 06-04-2018 at 03:39 AM. Reason: added quote
SquigglyThing is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
JJ09's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 2,686
My kuhlis are plenty active. I once had two in a ten gallon and would not do that again. Sure they are small but they like to have a lot of room. I keep mine in a 38 gal and my new 45. They're happier in groups of 6 or more but a ten gallon simply doesn't have enough space for that.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JJ09 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Algae Grower
 
SquigglyThing's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New York State, USA
Posts: 71
I've never kept khulis. One of the tanks I've always wanted was a 36" long x 8" x 8" low tech planted khuli and betta riparium, maybe with some tiny rasboras or tetras. It's on my list to build one one day. Maybe I'll reconsider...

Coffeepot Dovii Keeper
SquigglyThing is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome