ICH! Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a ten gallon freshwater tank, and about five days ago, discovered ich on my black molly. The lady at petco suggested raising the temperature and adding a saltwater brine into the tank. I removed my live plants, tried this for two days, but it only made the ich worse! I kept the temperature up and am now trying
Microbe-lift Herbtana to try and get rid of it. It's been three days, but I think my molly is getting worse! Should I quarantine him from my other fish (two peppered corries, a sterba corry, and an albino corry) or should I continue treatment where he is? The other fish are showing signs of it, though it's very hard to tell because of their patterns. Please help! Their my first tank of fish and I have only had them a few weeks!

Also, I'm hesitant to try chemical treatments for two reasons: one is my albino corry is blind and is very sensitive to changes in the tank. The second is that the tank needs to be habitable later on by live plants (they are now in their own quarantine tank).

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-03-2018 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
try para guard from seachem on amazon it is safe for plants and fish also your bio bed will not be affected works great for all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll see if I can give that a try! Should I keep the water temp raised? And should I do a full water change before starting the new treatment?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
yes that all will help should b gone in a few days with high temps

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do not fall for the quick and easy as that only works if used before, not after you have it in the tank. You need good reliable info and understanding ich needs to be a first step when getting fish.

Refer to this recent post and then do take some time to study the article as it is from folks who deal with ich in the fish farming industry so that I consider their info to be as correct and reliable as it gets.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...old-users.html

You are in a very common trap which almost all new fishkeepers have to struggle with. Sorry but it's a bummer that is best avoided as it rarely turns out to be a quick, easy fix.
I find salt and heat works best for me. But it does take a basic idea of why we want to use each.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much! I'll do my best to read up on that! I have API aquarium salt, but how much should I put in, and how much of the water should I replace? My blind albino cory seems to freak out with any changes in the water as is and I can't tell if he is infected or not! He's the smallest in the tank, but he's eating. The only way I know he's blind is he doesn't respond to any visual stimuli (thank you Friday biology test) and he doesn't group with the other cories at all! Should I put him alone and see how he does?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode